Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2018, 12:05 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times

Advertisements

[quote=bawac34618;53272841]I think it will largely go away in 20 years or so when the Christian Right fades into the sunset like previous authoritarian religious movements have always done.

Jerry Falwell Sr is already gone. Pat Robertson, Jim Bakker, David Barton, John Hagee, and Franklin Graham are getting up there in age. The fact that most of the conservative evangelical leaders are over age 60 and there aren't very many young voices stepping up to replace the 'old guard' as they die off gives me hope. Jerry Falwell Jr and Matt Hagee really don't pull the same weight their fathers did. We just have to make it another decade or so.

And I agree on the Greatest Generation. Most people today don't realize the jarring similarity this has with the populist movements in Europe during the 1930s. Where and when else in history have we seen a nation overtaken by a movement dedicated to racial and cultural purity that also dehumanized those who didn't conform?[/QUOTE]

Your fingers flow with diarrhoeal discharge of rage,sarcasm and hate. The ongoing comparison to Nazi Germany is a slap in the face to any and all survivors of the times....All you do with these posts is strengthen the rights position against you.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 12:19 PM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aflyguy View Post
I agree with all of this. It's pure hatred of "the others" which explains why Trump supporters excuse/deny/support/corroborate his disgusting bully-ish behavior. They love that he hates the same ppl they do. In the T supporters' sociopathic minds, he's essentially one of them; they see themselves in that same cheap untailored suit spewing the same gaslighting word salads and dog whistles, only without the realization (or care) that he's using them for his own narcissistic ego.

All of their alleged "economic" and "Washington outsider" reasons are just pure hogwash.

This narrative relies heavily on the Left's incredibly broad definition of "hate"...as required in the religion of Identity Politics.

Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean that I hate you.

Just because I don't want illegals to be able to skirt our laws and come and go across the border as they please, doesn't mean that I hate them.

Get a grip.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:26 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
I don't think it's hate on Trump's part. I think he simply doesn't give a crap about anyone but Trump.

Now, ask me if I think that he doesn't have some supporters who are hateful and who do feel the way you described in the opening post and I'll tell you that I'm sure he does.

It doesn't take much to see the evidence of that.

Again, I said SOME. I did not say ALL.

But, for Trump? This is just Trump being Trump.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:30 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
If you would just move out of your parents house you would see reality more clearly. Those men you mentioned hold no power. What a way to waste life.

It's kind-a the wrong list. Rupert Murdoch, Sheldon Adelson, the Koch brothers, Robert Mercer, .... The guys with huge piles of money. Murdoch is the most concerning one since he owns Fox News and is beaming mind control into the White House every day. He's also been controlling the OpEd page of the Wall Street Journal. You now have to read anything from the WSJ carefully since they now frequently disguise opinion pieces as news.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:40 PM

25,716 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Excellent article here that sums up how I feel about Trump. Trumpism is about anger and hate of reactionary social conservatives and rejoicing in the suffering of the people they hate. To them this is payback. This is a show of white Christian power in this country that will go down in the history books. Our system of government is really being put to the test.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-point/572104/
I support Trump not because I'm angry. Not because I hate. Not because I get some kind of a bang out of anyone suffering. Not because I give a f*** about "white" anything. Not because of anything to do with Christianity.

And it is certainly nothing to do with Trump personally. I didn't care for the guy when he was on TV years ago and I really haven't known much about him until the presidency thing came up. At this point, I'm no big fan of his, personally--pretty neutral in that regard. BUT, I AM a fan of, I would say about 95% of his enacted policies so far. I was a fan of about 2% of the policies enacted by the previous president, if even that.

So, based on that, how exactly do you think I should feel about Trump? Should I hate him because you folks hate him or do not like what he is doing? Should I hate him because you say he is a "pig" or "vile" or whatever other childish slander you can conger up? Or should I be okay with him because he is enacting policies with which I agree and is doing what he should be doing when viewed through the lens of liberty?

You see, the big difference between me (presumably, those who share at least some of my philosophy as well) and you leftist/collectivist folks is that I don't care about ANY of the garbage you keep accusing me of. None of that matters to me one iota of a tiny bit. The ONLY thing that matters to me when I examine a president is whether the policies he is enacting is stripping me as a citizen of my individual liberties (which according to the constitution are natural rights) or those policies are preserving my individual liberties. That's it. Pretty simply.

It's generally very easy to identify a policy's intent: liberty or tyranny. If it is the former, I'm happy. If it is the latter, I am unhappy. No more, no less.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:53 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I support Trump not because...

The ONLY thing that matters to me when I examine a president is whether the policies he is enacting is stripping me as a citizen of my individual liberties (which according to the constitution are natural rights) or those policies are preserving my individual liberties. That's it. Pretty simply.
You say this, yet in Trump we have a man who obviously has no respect for the rule of law and who would love to have the FBI at his beck and call. He constantly complains about the freedom of the press and who makes it crystal clear that if he could silence those who dare to criticize him - he would.

This is working to preserve your individual liberties? You must be really good at compartmentalizing your thinking.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:57 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,098 times
Trump is successful not because most Americans are Christian conservatives who oppose gay marriage. That is just false - more Americans are atheist or at least non-Christian than ever, gay marriage has gone from a majority against to a majority in support in just a few years, and Trump himself doesn't really care about rolling back gay marriage. He is successful because the left including and especially centrist, wishy-washy Democrats have failed to provide a coherent alternative. Hillary had no real ideas or policy proposals. It was just "I'm with Her" - vote for me because I'm a woman. It's not good enough to not be Trump - you have to actually stand for something.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:57 PM

31,031 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Well the good news for you is that you only have to deal with him in office for two more years. This too shall pass GearHeadDave.

Regardless of if he mocks the country, it's only temporary.
Then we can go back to Obama/Hillary's Democratic principals of attacking/destroying foreign countries, Libya/Syria/Yemen, Demonizing American Police, and excusing Islamic Terrorist attacks as Obama called it "Work place violence". Really great improvement!

I dont like Trump but all he has to do is to not destroy any more countries like Obama did, to be far superior to Obama

Old 10-04-2018, 01:06 PM

25,716 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
You say this, yet in Trump we have a man who obviously has no respect for the rule of law and who would love to have the FBI at his beck and call. He constantly complains about the freedom of the press and who makes it crystal clear that if he could silence those who dare to criticize him - he would.

This is working to preserve your individual liberties? You must be really good at compartmentalizing your thinking.
His words mean zip to me. What matters to me is legislation and law. If he enacted a law, somehow, that turned the FBI into an "SS" for him, or a law that silenced "the press," I would not support such measures.

As far as "the press," we really have none besides some bloggers and youtube posters. "The press" reports only what they wish to report. IMO, that is not news, it's propaganda. But, no, to respond to your comment, don't shut them up. Let them hang themselves.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:16 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Not if it took me 36 years to realize it was a real thing. No.

So am I to be on your level, and I did some "assaulting" too. It's called college.
Let me make this quite clear - YOU may have but I have not assaulted anyone

And NO - let's not condition women that in college - boys will be boys.

Good lord. I can't believe folks still expect us to fall in line with this chit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies