Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 08:55 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,673,226 times

Advertisements

Ok, let me explain something here that I don't think people understand.

So, Fox News is #1. Again. Good for them. But, I think the thing you are missing is... Fox News is one of a small handful of "conservative" news outlets. Whereas there are far more non-conservative news outlets out there. Essentially, they are "splitting" the viewership with less competitors.

Let me draw a parallel here that will help demonstrate this. Since many people watch/follow news outlets based on their own ideology, I think a political comparison will suit this very well:

In 2017, the Georgia 6th Congressional District had a "jungle election." They don't do primaries and elections they way most states do. Most states have Republicans pick their favorite Republican, Democrats pick their favorite Democrat - then they square off in the general. Instead, Georgia puts all the candidates from all parties together on one ballot. If any single candidate gets 50% (plus 1) of the vote, they win outright. Otherwise, the top two square off a few weeks later.

What happened in the GA-6?

Democrat Jon Ossoff (Fox News***) won the first ballot with 48.12% of the vote. Republican Karen Handel (#2 network***) came in second with only 19.77% of the vote. Does that mean Jon Ossoff is #1? Not necessarily. When Handel and Ossoff squared off a few weeks later, Handel won 52 to 48. In essence, Ossoff kept the same support he had, but Handel was able to coalesce all of her votes from other parties (networks) to come out on top in the end.

So, it depends what the point of this is. Does it mean a damn thing that Ossoff was #1 in the GA-6 jungle election? No. If the point you are trying to make is "Fox News is the best! They have the most viewership, therefore they are right!
And CNN and other news outlets are fake news!" - well, there's simply no basis for that. Jon Ossoff was apparently "wrong for GA" even though he had the plurality of support.

The same way Fox News isn't necessarily "right for the USA" simply because it has the plurality of support. Heh - I guess Clinton was wrong for America even though she had the plurality of support.

Now, if all the OP and other Fox News supporters are trying to say is "Yay! Fox News has the most viewers and therefore they make more money than other news outlets!" - uh... good for them? Do you celebrate as much when big companies make a lot of money that has nothing to do with you? Didn't think so.

***Note: In case someone is curious why my metaphor uses Ossoff as "Fox News" and Handel as "other presumably liberal networks" is to drive the point home even though their party/news affiliation is switched. Just because one entity (Ossoff/Fox News) represents a plurality doesn't mean it represents the majority (Handel/other networks).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 08:58 AM

18,986 posts, read 8,998,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Fox is right wing has fewer competitors in the main stream category. Do they have any? Seems like you go from Fox straight into the twilight zone Breitbart and Alex Jones.

Much more competition in the left wing category. CNN, MSNBC, NYT... etc before you trail off into their twilight zone like Dailykos... with stops along the way like Huff.
True. The left spreads itself out among many different outlets with varying points of view, which is why the left is so much better informed than the right, who has one news outlet (and I use the word "news" jokingly) that allows them to concentrate the rightwing message and give it one point of view only.

Give me an educated electorate over a spoon fed brainwashed one any day. When the latter are in control we end up with a president like Trump.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:07 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,043,929 times
Congratulations, I guess? Right wingers are happy about TV ratings?

I guess when you're a fan of the worst POTUS in American history, news ratings for State TV must be a big deal LOL.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:11 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,813,019 times
Can't edit.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:13 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,531,565 times
People can move the goal post around to show whatever they want.
Are the rating rules going to change to reflect a desired opinion ? Not likely.

Its an interesting note that they don't have other new completion trying to capture their market share, whatever that market share is.

Its my belief as stated already that Fox is a leftwing organization trying to provide a more balanced view and offering right wing opinion. That set them apart but well within left wing media and much of their leadership off camera would have to be left leaning.

The OP's goal is as stated. Its not a trick !!!
How could it be improved and what suggestion do people have that they think would be needed to improve it.

Under the current rating standards they are #1 but they are far from what they need to be or could be. Overall media has set a very low bar. So being # 1 isn't a sterling endorsement.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:13 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
If they reported news and were less of an entertainment show, their ratings would probably drop because their target market isn't interested in actual news. So that suggestion is out.
The left tune into the gloom and doom fake news CNN and MSNBC. They need their daily boost of TDS elixir. It drives them to protest, attack, howl at the moon.........

Here is an example of the leftist fake news market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDYNVH0U3cs

Old 10-04-2018, 09:21 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,565,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
If they reported news and were less of an entertainment show, their ratings would probably drop because their target market isn't interested in actual news. So that suggestion is out.
I guess that explains how MSPMS is still on the air..

Old 10-04-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
The left tune into the gloom and doom fake news CNN and MSNBC. They need their daily boost of TDS elixir. It drives them to protest, attack, howl at the moon.........

The link states it's a woman. We should assume that is correct ?
I couldn't accept it as a fact when I first seen it.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:26 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,565,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post

I wish I could find that clip of that CNN host saying that it was THEIR JOB to tell people what to think..

Old 10-04-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
True. The left spreads itself out among many different outlets with varying points of view, which is why the left is so much better informed than the right, who has one news outlet (and I use the word "news" jokingly) that allows them to concentrate the rightwing message and give it one point of view only.

Give me an educated electorate over a spoon fed brainwashed one any day. When the latter are in control we end up with a president like Trump.
Trying to keep this a serious thread. Could you help out a little ?

OK well, it can be entertaining too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies