Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 08:13 PM

26,488 posts, read 15,066,580 times

Advertisements

Little kids have quite an imagination. So, when they dress up as Moana for Halloween aren't they somewhat self-identifying as Moana, and therefore as a Pacific Islander? So it can't be racist.

I think the SJW would mellow out a bit if they looked at it from the "self-identifying" angle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 08:36 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
“There is one thing I don’t like about the character of Elsa. I feel like because Elsa is a White princess, and we see so many White princesses, her character sends the message that you have to be a certain way to be “beautiful” or to be a “princess”…that you have to have White skin, long, blonde hair, and blue eyes,” she thought. “And I don’t like that message. You are White, like Elsa—if you dressed up as a character like Moana, who has brown skin, you would never change your skin color. But I’m not sure I like the idea of you changing your hair color to dress up as Elsa—because I think Elsa’s character could also be a short, brown-haired character like you.”

Ugh. Will some people never allow themselves, or those under their care, to have even the tiniest bit of fun? My advice to the liberal wacko's daughter is just stay inside on Halloween. Turn off the porch lights, go upstairs to your room, and lie in bed with the blanket pulled up over your head. It'll be the only way you can even come close to making your mother . . . well, not "happy" because I doubt she's ever happy; but less miserable anyway. And I hope that you will be able to ignore the sounds of all the happy little Elsas and Moanas scampering around outside, collecting candy and having fun.

And to the killjoy SJW: Moana is a princess too. So apparently one can be something other than "a certain way" (i.e. white) and still be a princess.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:44 PM

10,453 posts, read 4,035,751 times
Is this the same group that also says if you are a woman or man, and feel like the opposite sex, you can be that opposite sex? What about that full grown man that thinks he's a 6 year old girl, or the woman that has had cosmetic surgery to look like Barbie?

Old 10-04-2018, 09:27 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Is this the same group that also says if you are a woman or man, and feel like the opposite sex, you can be that opposite sex? What about that full grown man that thinks he's a 6 year old girl, or the woman that has had cosmetic surgery to look like Barbie?
Plot twist: The full grown man who identifies as a 6-year-old girl is going as his "former self" (the full grown man) for trick-or-treating this year.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:30 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
I find it culturally insensitive when non-white people use:

The internal combustion engine
Airplanes
Rockets
Televisions
Republican Government
Quantum physics
Nuclear power
Penicillin
That is not cultural appropriation, though. Cultural appropriation is like when a white kid dresses up as Alexander Hamilton for Halloween.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:44 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,058 times
Since Halloween is a European-borne tradition (comes from All Hallows Eve) ....anyone who is not from European ancestry is culturally STEALING.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:03 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
This cultural appropriation BS is ridiculous.

Look I'm of Asian descent, and

1. I don't care if the local Chinese restaurant or sushi place isn't 100% "authentic" - it just needs to taste good. If someone from China is going to complain about the Chinese food in America, then someone should complain about the burgers and hot dogs in China. (there WAS a news story from Oberlin College where students were offended that the Chinese food wasn't authentic enough and considered it a "microaggression".

2. I'm not too caught up on "Asian roles" being taken by white actors especially since I've also seen white roles taken by Asian actors like on the Gotham show and elsewhere

3. Jackie Chan and Jet Li are two of my favorite martial artists, but so's Chuck Norris

4. If people are so obsessed about cultural appropriation then Colin Kaepernick shoudln't be playing football since football was invented by white people. So was basketball btw.

5. Nothing wrong with Eminem rapping or Darius Rucker singing country.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:04 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
But would it be cultural appropriation to dress up as a Confederate soldier? I truly do respect that history.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:10 PM

5 posts, read 3,232 times
Halloween costumes these days are becoming too revealing, I am frustrated that so many of these costumes for young girls show a lot of skin and mimic adult, even kid's costumes are getting too adult. You can see an example in the picture.
https://patch.com/img/cdn20/users/23....jpg?width=577

https://www.clothingric.com/blog/how...too-adult.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies