Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 07:58 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,253,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
It absolutely IS an epidemic. And worse than that because the definition if sexual assault has been progressively expanding to the point of ridiculousness.
No. It absolutely is not an epidemic. If you have stats that prove otherwise, please provide them.

"...since records began in 1989, in the US there are only 52 cases where men convicted of sexual assault were exonerated because it turned out they were falsely accused. By way of comparison, in the same period, there are 790 cases in which people were exonerated for murder..."

https://qz.com/980766/the-truth-abou...e-accusations/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 08:06 AM

1,874 posts, read 817,717 times
i dont know about epidemic but they are common

Old 10-05-2018, 08:23 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,353,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
If you name them you get in even more trouble.

So if you can't name them and you can't fail to name them, the only other choice is to say nothing. Which is what many of you want, this continues to go on and women just stay silent.
No.

I'm quite clear on this:

If you are the victim of someone who has broken the non-aggression principle (redundant because that is the only way to be a victim) you have three options:

1. Remain silent for whatever your reason might be. You aren't morally required to report your own victimization.

2. Tell the full story to clearly define who you believe broke the NAP while at the same time explicitly ruling out innocent people who may be associated with the circumstances of the case.

3. Say #metoo and just leave it at that. No half stories. No hints. No loose ends.

I prefer number 2 as it does the most to prevent future victimization but I fully respect 1 & 3.

I don't want a woman to publically announce she was raped by a man in 1999 while working at company Z and just stop there. What if I was working at company Z in 1999? What if it was a small company of only 8 male employees?

1. I gotta go thru life (professional and personal) worried about someone making that connection and possibly thinking I'm the rapist?

2. Since I know I'm not the rapist what if I still know the other 7 male employees and actually socialize with them? I'm going to ball games with potential rapists??? What if one of the employees married my own sister in like 2005? Jesus Christ, that's upsetting as hell to think about. I don't need that in my life.

And most importantly for me we have number #3...

3. Did I miss something in 1999 that could have prevented this victimization? Did she say or do anything as time went on that could be construed as reaching out post-incident and I missed the clues? The thought of possibly being able to prevent it or not helping in the case of a legit crime is also very upsetting.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:29 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
False rape accusations are actually extremely common. And many men are unfairly labeled "creepy" for innocuous behavior.
Based on your feelings right or your life experience.?

From my experience and feelings, I have never known of any man falsely accused of any sexual assault......so from my experience it is extremely rare.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:34 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,105,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
In light of daily, never ending new threads from posters sounding the alarm about a culture that is supposedly growing more 'anti-male' with an epidemic of false allegations of rape, don't let these people divert attention away from the fact that sexual assault is a very real problem in our society.

Contrary to the sensationalist opinions expressed on this forum that men are in extreme danger of being accused of rape for simply complimenting a woman on her dress, false accusations of rape are rare as compared to real sexual assaults.

No, guys in general are not being accused of rape from one night stands, guy aren't being accused of rape for complimenting a woman on her looks, etc. etc. Just because the media sensationalizes cases where accusations of rape proved to be false (Duke lacrosse team, etc.), does NOT mean fake accusations are the norm. In fact, those women who typically falsely accuse men of rape fit a certain type of profile with a criminal background, which is why such accusations are rare.

The reasons why people here like to jump on the "most rape reports are false" bandwagon is because it suits their political agendas, and it also diverts issue away from the real issues since they love to live in a happy bubble where men are free to act any way they want towards women without fear (not to mention the women that enable the opinions of these men). This isn't a democrat/republican issue, so stop making it so.

What kind of person makes false rape accusations?

False rape allegations are rare – rape is not. Stop using the case of Jemma Beale to discredit all women

Where the Idea of False Rape Accusations Really Comes From

Sexual Violence Myths & Facts
Thank you, I don't think it will change many minds, but, thank you.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:37 AM

19,610 posts, read 12,210,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
No.

I'm quite clear on this:

If you are the victim of someone who has broken the non-aggression principle (redundant because that is the only way to be a victim) you have three options:

1. Remain silent for whatever your reason might be. You aren't morally required to report your own victimization.

2. Tell the full story to clearly define who you believe broke the NAP while at the same time explicitly ruling out innocent people who may be associated with the circumstances of the case.

3. Say #metoo and just leave it at that. No half stories. No hints. No loose ends.

I prefer number 2 as it does the most to prevent future victimization but I fully respect 1 & 3.
#2 would be like naming them. We are not allowed, because no proof. Just #metoo with no explanation is worthless. #1 is why we needed #metoo.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:47 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,353,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
#2 would be like naming them. We are not allowed, because no proof. Just #metoo with no explanation is worthless. #1 is why we needed #metoo.
Tough cookies.

You ignored the rest of my post and how I pointed out that it is extremely irresponsible and unfair to do half-stories/drop hints.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:52 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,398,243 times
While false rape accusations are more common than one may think, the actual percentage of verified false rape cases varies that is is hard put a finite estimate. To me, this is how a false rape epidemic would look like here: Let's say that in 2018, there was a total of 15,000 cases of reported rapes in this country (the actual amount might be different but let's use for the sake of this example). If 25%-50+% of those reported attacks happened to be false, then I see as more of an epidemic.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Based on your feelings right or your life experience.?

From my experience and feelings, I have never known of any man falsely accused of any sexual assault......so from my experience it is extremely rare.
I have known a number of them. Also a number who were obviously guilty and claimed innocence. More sexual harassment than assault.

These are all workplace incidents I, or co workers, have gotten involved in on behalf of a client. If it is true, they want to know and get rid of the perpetrator in order to avoid liability. if it is not true, they want to know that as well.

In the instances where it was ultimately proved to be clearly false there are several typical situations that occurred:

1. Female employee comes on to married older high level male employee. He says no thank you, or in one case she got so aggressive he complained to HR and she was ultimately fired. Then she claims he assaulted or harassed her because she is incensed at being rejected.

2. Female employee gets fired. Cannot find another job. Gets desperate and someone convinces her the way to survive is to make a false allegation and get a settlement. In some instances, notwithstanding it was clear the harassment did not occur, the company still paid a settlement to get her to go away. It is cheaper than having to prove the case and eliminates any risk. Sometimes someone who testifies well is going to be believed even if nearly everything they say is disproved. "I know their story was shown to be mostly false, I just felt like the were telling the truth, they seemed so nice" (Some people are excellent as testifying and can be very convincing even when wholeheartedly lying and they remain completely confident and non-pulsed when their lies are exposed. All the lawyers and the judge know they are lying. It is obvious they are lying, but still, a majority of the jury believes them because they seem so sincere. You cannot take that risk.

3. Female employee has an affair with a married male employee. He promises to leave his wife and marry her. He keeps making excuses for years as to why he does not leave his wife. then after a number of years he moves on to a younger hotter female employee and former mistress is left in a situation where it is unlikely she will ever find a permanent partner due to both her age and her reputation as the bosses mistress.

there were a couple of other unique circumstances and of course a number where the harassment/assault actually occurred (or apparently did). But the majority of accusations that were ultimately shown to be unquestionably false fell into one of those three scenarios.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:13 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,723,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
In light of daily, never ending new threads from posters sounding the alarm about a culture that is supposedly growing more 'anti-male' with an epidemic of false allegations of rape, don't let these people divert attention away from the fact that sexual assault is a very real problem in our society.
No one said abuse is not a real problem but women who allow mob rule and hysteria to persuade their perception of innocence or guilt instead of evidence are abusers themselves. And you don't convict any man because of another mans actions and that is what appears to be happening.

Don't jump on this bandwagon. Use common sense,. In America we are innocent until proven guilty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies