Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 07:01 PM

815 posts, read 980,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Christians are not oppressed. When you hear Christians whining about so called oppression, what it means is that they are upset the government performs less overt acts today specifically favoring Christianity as the favored/majority/default religion in the country.
I agree.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:43 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times
It's a tough one. Personally I think the whole "separation of church and state" thing has gone way overboard, in some cases, and in others, not far enough.

Like exempting religious organizations from taxation...this is oppressive as hell, to all taxpayers...and there is no rationale for it. It is unjustifiable.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:49 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,719,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
I agree.
Then you're not looking at the bigger picture...

Go fix infrastructure or something, why focus on religion?

Old 10-05-2018, 08:53 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Christians are not oppressed. When you hear Christians whining about so called oppression, what it means is that they are upset the government performs less overt acts today specifically favoring Christianity as the favored/majority/default religion in the country.
Or that things are becoming legal that the church believes are sinful and should be illegal.

I'll try explaining it this way. Let's say you had more Christianity in government. To remain constitutional, the government would have to allow other religions the same freedom, including the big boogeymen of the right, the Muslims. This is when conservatives will typically use the argument that we were founded on Judeo-Christian principles so the government should favor Christianity yet not recognize other religions. Problem is, this isn't in the Constitution or any of our legal founding documents. This is when conservatives will bring up the "founder's intent" which is supposedly for Christianity to be favored.

Now wait a minute...I thought we had to interpret the Second Amendment literally and that it covered today's weapons which are more powerful than anything the founders could imagine. Why must we interpret the First Amendment the exact way you accuse the liberals of interpreting the Second?

Old 10-05-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Or that things are becoming legal that the church believes are sinful and should be illegal.

I'll try explaining it this way. Let's say you had more Christianity in government. To remain constitutional, the government would have to allow other religions the same freedom, including the big boogeymen of the right, the Muslims. This is when conservatives will typically use the argument that we were founded on Judeo-Christian principles so the government should favor Christianity yet not recognize other religions. Problem is, this isn't in the Constitution or any of our legal founding documents. This is when conservatives will bring up the "founder's intent" which is supposedly for Christianity to be favored.

Now wait a minute...I thought we had to interpret the Second Amendment literally and that it covered today's weapons which are more powerful than anything the founders could imagine. Why must we interpret the First Amendment the exact way you accuse the liberals of interpreting the Second?

So I see...

Liberals move from issue to issue whenever they lose, interesting

Old 10-05-2018, 10:05 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times
The silver lining with a conservative court is the religious right might see how nutty their complaints are, Rowe V Wade was decided by a conservative court, seven to two.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:16 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
....So in essence, many people believe that a government that doesn't favor Christianity and is neutral towards religion is oppressive to Christianity. However is that really the case? Do you believe that a neutral government is oppressive to Christians?
I believe that such a government protects all religions, and as I am not a Christian in a country where most religious believers are that is important to me. It also protects me from the more extreme Christian fringe.

We point to the lack of religious freedom, or outright persecution, in some Muslim countries and it is this that the government should protect minority religions from at the hands of Christians. Mr. Huckabee is not someone a non-Christian believer could trust around a glass corner.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The silver lining with a conservative court is the religious right might see how nutty their complaints are, Rowe V Wade was decided by a conservative court, seven to two.
Since when does the religious right present the majority????

Old 10-05-2018, 11:21 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
China is a county where Christianity is really oppressed but that does not apply as much as the U.S.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:53 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:

None of the churches around here have any problem with every huge retailer taking advantage of Christmas, to make as much profit as they can though. Usually big retail companies side with whatever is most popular at any given time too, they normally shy away from recognizing or celebrating anything remotely religious...but if they can make a bunch of money...its suddenly acceptable? GEEZ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies