Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2018, 07:35 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,205,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
I have considered this. What disturbed me most about Ford's testimony was that she did not recall how she got home. It's typical to overlay our own experiences onto a situation. Like others, earlier in this thread I chose to share an event from many years ago where I was profoundly relieved to have gotten out of a similar situation unscathed and well remembered that walk home even though most of the other extraneous details have faded. Why could not Ford? Mitchell appears to have also found this striking.

My take is that Ford would have had to be profoundly traumatized for that detail to have left her. Some noting this have hypothesized she experienced substantial earlier sexual traumas. Maybe. But where I ended up is that this, as Ford testified, is not primarily about sexual trauma. In a young girl, I could understand that a unholy triad - the fear of being accidentally smothered as hands groped with laughter in the background - could have neurologically overwhelmed as all three inputs were simultaneously processed.

And oddly enough, in a setting that a young Kavanaugh might have honestly found harmless. Maybe drunk, he misread cues, irritated he clapped that hand over her mouth, groped then finally let her go. Two young teens in a setting that 40 years later blew up their lives.

The trauma that my young family member struggles with is the fear of death; it is profound with later events often viewed through that lens. But then again, sure, Ford might have faked it. I simply guess not.
I've shared my experiences also. I have so many gaps and I was not drinking at all. I don't remember leaving. I don't remember anything until my friend asked me why I wasn't talking and I see us a block from my house. I don't think people should put too much stock in those types of things.

I also couldn't breathe, that was the worst part of it. His hand was there and a sweatshirt was pushed up against my face. To this day I get freaked out if someone blocks me in any way, like if my bf hugs me on the couch and I can't get out because of his weight. Even if someone comes into my narrow bathroom while I'm already in there because two people won't fit so I feel trapped.

I thought of that harmless siuation also. It could feel jokey to the boys, but when someone can't breate it's terrifying, it's sets off something in the brain; desperation maybe...that's kind of how I felt.

Last edited by detshen; 10-08-2018 at 07:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 07:36 PM

40,956 posts, read 49,260,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsai View Post
You are a liar, you are a liar because you say 4 people refuted her claims and denied them, which is entirely false. Republicans can't open their mouths or type without lying can they?
I'm curious. How many people of the 5 she said were her witnesses actually said they recalled the event? Did her best friend say she even knew Kavanaugh?

The answer would be zero / nada / none.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:41 PM

12,396 posts, read 8,183,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Something I always found curious - she had two terms of Obama. Why didn’t she retire then?
I think that like of of us she thought Secretary Clinton was a lock to win and her gender identity politics had her waiting on a women to name her replacement.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:41 PM

17,614 posts, read 13,406,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
The way I was viewing partisan was following a party to the point that one refuses to see anything that might be outside the party line. Also "team" politics. When someone gleefully posts about doing something for no other purpose but to upset people who have another viewpoint. It's just feels so hateful to view a fellow citizen as an enemy to enjoy crushing. So many arguments are simply "us v them." No one will give an inch and see that the other side might have valid points.

It was unreasonable to say one must automatically believe Ford without question, especially before she even spoke, but it's also unreasonable to say she should automatically be disbelieved and labeled a conniving liar. It felt to me that many were simply taking a party position and nothing would budge them either way. Most of the politicians were inflaming this. Many chose a side to defend almost to the point of defying either Ford or Kavanaugh, depending on party and people who had never met or even knew much about either were following along.

D-"She is the picture of courageous and being revictimized and tormented."
R-"He is a strong family man, amazing career, people are out to destroy him."

I understand the president standing by his pick and defending his honor. Taking it to the point of mocking a woman claiming to have been assaulted and declaring people should fear for their sons was not appropriate, to say the least. (BTW, I fel the same way about Obama's comment about Trayvon Martin ). A president shoud not stoke the fire of division. Trump continue to take an already bad situation to new levels and I find it appalling.
I'm throwing in the BS flag

Six FBI background checks (one was immediately after highschool and one was for the White House) I was questioned for over three hours by two Special Agents on behalf of of a highschool and college friend who was going to work for the DOD. They asked every question imaginable, they were doing a Q&A colonoscopy on him (he got the job)

Then, the FBI did this ass backwards investigation on behalf of the dems looking into Fords allegations. NOTHING. NADA. ZIP. ZILCH was found!!

Justice Kavanaugh came up absolutely clean!!!!

Give it a break!!!

IT IS OVER AND YOU LOST!!!

LIVE WITH IT!!!

Old 10-08-2018, 07:43 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,053,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsai View Post
Are ford allies ford herself? People that she surrounded herself with? You mean just people who saw her story and allied with her?

You are a liar, you are a liar because you say 4 people refuted her claims and denied them, which is entirely false. Republicans can't open their mouths or type without lying can they?
Not a single person that Ford brought up as a witness corroborated her story, not a single person.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:43 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,040,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I think that like of of us she thought Secretary Clinton was a lock to win and her gender identity politics had her waiting on a women to name her replacement.
If so, that was clearly a mistake. I’ll be really surprised if she lives through the rest of Trump’s first term.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:45 PM

13,838 posts, read 8,059,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
That's right.

If the Democrats want to blame anyone should RBG seat become vacant they can blame her

She had her chance with Obama but her vanity wouldn't let her leave.

Despite calls from the left for her to do so.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:47 PM

12,396 posts, read 8,183,617 times
Quote:
If so, that was clearly a mistake. I’ll be really surprised if she lives through the rest of Trump’s first term.
I bet that she already left instructions that under no circumstances are we to pull the plug on her. I bet Justice Ginsberg has one goal in life and that is to outlast the Trump administration

Old 10-08-2018, 07:54 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,359,592 times
Quote:
Something I always found curious - she had two terms of Obama. Why didn’t she retire then?
Maybe she forgot, it happens when you get old!

Who knows, she might already be dead and it's like that Weekend at Bernie's thing.

Last edited by cjseliga; 10-08-2018 at 08:12 PM..

Old 10-08-2018, 07:58 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,205,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I'm throwing in the BS flag

Six FBI background checks (one was immediately after highschool and one was for the White House) I was questioned for over three hours by two Special Agents on behalf of of a highschool and college friend who was going to work for the DOD. They asked every question imaginable, they were doing a Q&A colonoscopy on him (he got the job)

Then, the FBI did this ass backwards investigation on behalf of the dems looking into Fords allegations. NOTHING. NADA. ZIP. ZILCH was found!!

Justice Kavanaugh came up absolutely clean!!!!

Give it a break!!!

IT IS OVER AND YOU LOST!!!

LIVE WITH IT!!!
This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Did you even read my post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies