Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 10:45 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm 59 and think the sign is in poor taste.

I would doubt it as well, but at least they reacted once they realized it did offend someone.

Exactly. Thank you for pointing that out.

It was 1964, but your "logic" is flawed (not to mention ignorant and offensive):
  • The poster you were referring to said s/he was "in my 50s", not 55.
  • While the Civil Rights Act was signed in 1964, segregated water fountains did not disappear overnight. I'd imagine that in some rural areas they didn't disappear for a decade.

(Disclaimer: I don't believe all Republicans think as the poster quoted does; since this poster references Republicans as a whole, however, I thought I'd do the same in response)

Republicans should develop some empathy and stop telling other people to behave as badly as they do.
That's funny coming from someone on the Left. Most of the bad behavior I am seeing are those from the Left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 11:08 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You are just upset because you think insensitive stuff like this is funny. It isn't funny to me because my ancestors actually were slaves, and it's a major sore spot for America. It's something we've never gotten over and I don't see "getting over it" in the future. If having consideration for others is "PC", then I'll wear the PC banner proudly. If you take issue with that, go kick rocks.

There isn't anyone who couldn't make the same claim about their ancestors based on Theories of Human Origen. Out of Africa.
People who want to claim special victim status, who don't have the same actually experiences of their ancestors, want perpetual special treatment and PC nonsense is there to accommodate them. Its a continued excuse for disunity opposed to the United States of America. Leftist destruction of unity and their desire to reject western civilization. Poor me, they say. I'm a victim and I will always be a victim. If they need to kick anything its their own a$$. Then get in gear and move forward like everyone else has too. In the here and now.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:41 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,096 times
Quote:
You don't get to tell me how I should feel about this. I might not be a slave, but I'm descended from slaves, and stuff like this is not funny to me. Got a problem with how I feel? Too bad!! I don't take crap from anyone.
You can’t coexist with people who will ultimately see you as the cause for everything that is wrong in their lives and eventually it will always

Quote:
I remember in high school a kid made a racially charged comment at me. It started with him making a joke, basically poking fun at me regarding lynchings. It later ended with me hitting him. I didn't get suspended from school, but we both got in trouble. Looking back, I remember where my mindset was. My thinking was "this kid things I'm a push over. Maybe if he fears me he won't say those things to me anymore. Maybe violence is all he understands". To be honest, I got bullied alot in high school, and some of the bullying I got was of a racially motivated nature. This is one of the reasons I take the "humorless" approach. I look at it as "I'm not going to take crap from anyone".

Nowadays, I don't do something like what I did in high school. I don't want to go to prison. However, every so often that feeling arises inside of me.
of everyone.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:45 AM

23,965 posts, read 15,063,270 times
My paternal grandmother had a cedar chest full of her families slave certificates. My maternal grandparents were abolitionists.

My mother witnessed numerous lynching. My daughter drank from the colored water fountains in Weingarten's grocery store in Beaumont Texas. I had to pay poll tax to vote. But I could.

Sure slavery was is and always will be more than offensive. But so is a lot of stuff that is happening here and now. The states controlled by Republicans are putting up roadblocks to voting. All y'all who think my sign is offensive, what are you doing about voter suppression? What are you doing about institutionalized racism, especially in public schools? What are you doing about almost every town's untrained and unsupervised cops shooting unarmed people graveyard dead. I do not blame the cops, I blame their training.

The people I speak with on a daily basis rarely know how their own local government works, so civil action is foreign to them. And half of us who could register to vote, don't. and half that are registered don't vote. That's what offends me. Not some stupid sign.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:31 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,790,658 times
Idiots, they know why family separation was happening this past summer. All those illegal kids that were let in to the US will be the next batch of workers “slavesâ€. Both parties have all the cheap labor they could ever want.

No illegals, but their kids get in with no problem? Lol.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:35 PM

13,929 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Two kinds of people in the world: those who can take a joke and those who can't.

Only thing different about modern society versus "back in the day" is that now we grovel and beg before the people who can't take a joke, and back in the day, we didn't.

This is why a lot of comedians refuse to perform at colleges anymore. The snowflake generation not only can't take a joke, they get hysterical and insane over jokes period, and the law/culture sides with their hysterics.

America needs to lighten up.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:54 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
What's funnier than the sign is it seems people on here can't even agree as to whether it refers to historical black slavery or children and sex slavery.
Any third parties want to join in with something? Maybe we can all end up taking it as a personal affront.

I'm Polish BTW.....any blondes here?

Old 10-07-2018, 01:34 PM

23,454 posts, read 12,487,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Two kinds of people in the world: those who can take a joke and those who can't.

Only thing different about modern society versus "back in the day" is that now we grovel and beg before the people who can't take a joke, and back in the day, we didn't.

This is why a lot of comedians refuse to perform at colleges anymore. The snowflake generation not only can't take a joke, they get hysterical and insane over jokes period, and the law/culture sides with their hysterics.

America needs to lighten up.
So, if someone doesn't laugh at the same joke that you do then they don't have a sense of humor?

I find many things funny, even some of the variations of the sign gave me a chuckle, but not that particular sign.

What makes for a good joke is when it's about something that people can relate to. I don't connect to slavery. If the sign had said something like 'unruly children will have to wash dishes' , yeah, I'd find it funny because I'd relate to the sign, since doing dishes was a (unwelcomed) chore that I had to do when I was a little kid (and still do).

Old 10-07-2018, 01:39 PM

23,454 posts, read 12,487,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Its makes sense most black people don't support Republicans. They are the party of white supremacy and excusing the actions of police officers who execute black people in the street. Not to mention pushing policies that help the wealthy and screw the working class. It only makes sense to be a Republican if you are white and wealthy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
With the way that those immigration camps often, at least how the media portrays it, treat their detainees, I can see why people call Trump "Hitler". However, I think that nickname is a bad comparison because concentration camps had scores of more people die.

wtf

Old 10-07-2018, 01:41 PM

13,929 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
So, if someone doesn't laugh at the same joke that you do then they don't have a sense of humor?
No, I said some people can take a joke and some people can't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
What makes for a good joke is when it's about something that people can relate to. I don't connect to slavery. If the sign had said something like 'unruly children will have to wash dishes' , yeah, I'd find it funny because I'd relate to the sign, since doing dishes was a (unwelcomed) chore that I had to do when I was a little kid (and still do).
Whatever, you can't take this joke. Only thing I was pointing out is now society grovels before super sensitive shriekers who can't take a joke.

It used to be that art could challenge and yes, offend. Now, anything that can offend is verboten, sieg heil. All this groveling before the hypersensitive will end up being the death of art. This how totalitarianism begins. Little things here, little things there, all inching our tolerance towards intellectual and artistic challenges towards zero, opening the door for tyrants to ban things in the name of keeping people safe from having to think.

Again, people need to lighten up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies