Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 11:16 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times

Advertisements

I'm a moderate Democrat and one of my main issues is the fiscal shape of the country. I want us to get serious and smart when it comes to taxes and spending and to at least start chipping away at the deficit instead of continuing to add to it. But for the life of me, I can't figure out who also feels that way as it seems that both sides have no interest in really dealing with the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 11:24 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
The alternate title of this thread was "Which "Left" positions would you hold a gun to the head of another for if you're on the "Right" (and vice versa)?

Old 10-07-2018, 11:30 PM

14,766 posts, read 8,093,254 times
They actually have much more in common with one another than either side would care to admit.

When you fight with one another and call each other names, you are just giving in to what Russia wants.
Isn't that the reason they tried to infer in the election, to bring division and chaos to our society?
Why would you want to destroy your own country and give Putin what he has always wanted?
He is trying to Destroy America without firing a single shot. And he is doing a pretty good job of it.

In the end we aren't Democrats or Republicans or Independents...
We are all Americans. And together we are strong.

Old 10-08-2018, 03:00 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,616 times
-The war on drugs should end from a federal level. You can add regulations and certain restrictions to them but the feds should butt out.
-I'm indifferent on abortion.(Tho this Kav crap has pushed me towards the right on it)
-I'm for more investment in mass transit provided if it doesn't cost alot of money and if it makes sense for that area.
-Just like there was a bank/auto bailout, there should be a student loan bailout. Doesn't matter the age or the amount.

Old 10-08-2018, 03:06 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
Basically trying to see which issues the left and right agree on. There have to be some. If someone could put together a platform of those issues they might gain some traction.

Whichever side you are on, which positions of the other side resonate with you?
Fiscal responsibility. Admittedly, Clinton, and Obama towards the end of his term had much better looking deficit numbers than dubya or trump.

The national debt is a national security issue, but all too often, so called "conservatives" don't care about it unless democrats are in power

Old 10-08-2018, 03:11 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Fiscal responsibility. Admittedly, Clinton, and Obama towards the end of his term had much better looking deficit numbers than dubya or trump.

The national debt is a national security issue, but all too often, so called "conservatives" don't care about it unless democrats are in power
Trump isn't even half way through his 1st term. Is this politics or bobbing for apples ?

Old 10-08-2018, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Trump isn't even half way through his 1st term. Is this politics or bobbing for apples ?
The cbo numbers now and projections going forward are easy to look up. And it's not like we haven't seen this before with Reagan or gwb before

Old 10-08-2018, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
, there should be a student loan bailout. Doesn't matter the age or the amount.
More chance of that happening under leftist admin. Even centrists dems couldn't get a public option for healthcare passed. Republicans have no interest in student loan issues, and in fact, Trump's pick as SOE, Betsy DeVos, has been loosening regulations on for profit schools and their predatory behavior towards students.

The only way the right might be able to fix this is to reduce govt funding for higher ed loans and the GI bill. That's the only way these colleges are charging such obscene amounts for tuition

Old 10-08-2018, 03:21 AM

1,279 posts, read 851,575 times
Environmental protection is something that the left promotes and that I like.

Same for investment in human capital and support for education.

Old 10-08-2018, 03:25 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Most criminals have committed many more crimes before they're caught and many drug users/dealers are violent. Additionally, many drug users/dealers are into other criminal activities at the same time, like human trafficking, burglaries, robberies, et cetera. It's not at all unreasonable to speculate that one of the reasons we saw crime, and violent crime specifically, drop off precipitously after the mid-nineties is because of incarceration of such people at higher percentages, along with others convicted of violent crimes, as well.

I should add that I used to take the same position as you on drug legalization. Then I learned more about crime and recognized most of the folks actually sentenced to prison for drug offenses are not non-violent people.
That's because drugs are illegal and expensive on the black market. Once one is addicted, unless they have a very stable source they end up going through a constant binge and withdrawl cycles. Most can't manitain a job going through that. If drugs were legal crime would go down because more people could stabilize and get jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies