Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2019, 12:25 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times

Advertisements

And thanks LBJ for my Medicare which I don't abuse as I work to take care of my own health as best and much as I can. I don't want to spend time in doc's offices and hospitals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 12:49 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
LBJ was a great President for being forced to sign the civil rights act in 1964 when he rejected it in the 40's and 50's.

Then let's not forget Vietnam. He escalated the war and like W Bush using WMD lies he used the Gulf Of Tonkin to bomb a poor 3rd world country back to the stone ages.
We are discussing POTUS, not entire lifetimes. People grow and change...at least they SHOULD. Those who don't are sad human beings.

Vietnam? Always amazes me how opposite world uses examples that nail themselves to the cross. No doubt IKE, JFK, LBJ and Nixon were involved, the last two big time. Truman and our generals (McArthur) actually started a lot of that with Korea.....IKE has to rid himself of warmongering Generals when he was POTUS.

BUT, to insinuate that the "other side" was somehow against Vietnam is completely false. Hippies and anti-war protesters were mostly on the left.

Here is a list of Congress members who were against the war. My count shows 32 total of which ONLY SEVEN were Republicans. Once again, the Left comes out looking better...not just better, but VASTLY so.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...he_Vietnam_War

Try as you may, you end up coming up with the opposite point you are trying to make. The Democrat on the Street didn't support the War...it was a Cold War mistake born out of the Domino theory.

Here, do a little reading:
https://www.historytoday.com/archive/ike-and-vietnam

"Melanie Billings-Yun investigates President Eisenhower's motives and methods in the spring of 1954, when French collapse in Indochina brought pressures for direct American intervention against Communism."

IKE
"He also authorized the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) to undertake covert operations against communism around the world, two of which toppled the governments of Iran in 1953 and Guatemala in 1954.
His support for the anti-communist government in South Vietnam would sow the seeds of future U.S. participation in the Vietnam War."

None of this stuff happens in a vacuum. But the brave Democrats who ended up being against the War and running for POTUS (McGovern, Humprey, Muskie, etc.) lost big time......Power to the People who obviously love war.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:55 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,270,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Every POTUS divides this country. #1 Lincoln - divided the country. Republicans HATED #2 or #3 - FDR. He welcomed their hate.

A great POTUS does what is right for history....and liberalism. Whether or not "their party" likes them is quite a different manner. Of course, the Confederates in LBJs party didn't like that LBJ believed in human rights and equality. That's a given.

It's not a popularity contest. Again, look at the legislation. IMHO, it's more in a shorter time than any POTUS in the modern age....

Trump cannot get a single piece of major legislation through. Not one. I just looked through a year of his signings and most were symbolic....

""This bill amends the Indian Employment, Training and Related Services Demonstration Act of 1992 to rename the Act to the Indian Employment, Training and Related Services Act of 1992 "

"A bill to extend the period during which vessels that are shorter than 79 feet in length and fishing vessels are not required to have a permit for discharges incidental to the normal operation of the vessel"

"Jobs for Our Heroes Act
This law makes it easier for veterans to apply for commercial drivers licenses."

I mean - if we look at Medicare and War on Poverty and Voting Rights and Civil Rights stuff as an 8 or a 9 out of 10 in importance, Trumps stuff is all 2-4 on the same scale....lightweight stuff that no one can be against (well, some of it involved allowing more pollution, so some might be against those)...

tell me how sending 50,000 Americans to their deaths and killing and 2 million Vietnamese civilians in a war LBJ couldn't win and lied to the American people about was good for history?

Johnson's presidency went down in flames because it could never live up to his own irresponsibly exalted standards. Despite what his apologists like you may think and hope, the damage to his reputation can't be erased by distracting attention from Vietnam, which was only one aspect of a multifaceted failure.

Old 05-11-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
tell me how sending 50,000 Americans to their deaths and killing and 2 million Vietnamese civilians in a war LBJ couldn't win and lied to the American people about was good for history?

Johnson's presidency went down in flames because it could never live up to his own irresponsibly exalted standards. Despite what his apologists like you may think and hope, the damage to his reputation can't be erased by distracting attention from Vietnam, which was only one aspect of a multifaceted failure.
I already clued you in - he fell from what would have been the top 10 to about #16 or 19 due to that war.

Simple.

Obviously the damage will not be undone - which is why he won't break into the top 7 POTUSes ever.

You are debating with history...not with me. I accept that he falls where he falls due to the demerits from the War.....a War which, as I showed you, was championed much more from the GOP than from the Left.

On the other hand, you are the one trying to somehow say that Trump is mistakenly being put in last place. But that's not the case. He deserves to be right where he is. No mistakes are being made. History doesn't care if you love him or defend him or anything else like that - it cars what he says and does and the tone that he sets.

He has done nothing....he speaks at a 4th grade level and sets a tone of idiocracy and lies. Again, not opinions...facts.

My take is that many Trump cultists just cannot accept reality because it it too far to fall. That is, if they thought he was pretty bad it wouldn't be too far out to then think he was one of the worst in history. BUT, because they are fooling themselves that he he "Great", it is impossible to fathom the reality. That's quite typical when it comes to human behavior.

Last edited by craigiri; 05-11-2019 at 03:27 PM..

Old 05-11-2019, 03:25 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,327,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
He is the worst at hiding anything. He is completely unfiltered.

Except for his tax returns.

Old 05-11-2019, 03:33 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingojut76 View Post
Besides the comments and insults that he has said.
But are there any polices that you were against?
He voted to increased spending after he said he wouldn't. He got involved in Syrias civil war when he said he wouldn't get involved in other nations civil wars.

He can't keep his word. Reminds me of the previous president, and the one before that, and the one before that, and the one ....

Old 05-11-2019, 07:39 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,270,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I already clued you in - he fell from what would have been the top 10 to about #16 or 19 due to that war.

Simple.

Obviously, the damage will not be undone - which is why he won't break into the top 7 POTUSes ever.

You are debating with history...not with me. I accept that he falls where he falls due to the demerits from the War.....a War which, as I showed you, was championed much more from the GOP than from the Left.

On the other hand, you are the one trying to somehow say that Trump is mistakenly being put in the last place. But that's not the case. He deserves to be right where he is. No mistakes are being made. History doesn't care if you love him or defend him or anything else like that - it cars what he says and does and the tone that he sets.

He has done nothing....he speaks at a 4th grade level and sets a tone of idiocracy and lies. Again, not opinions...facts.

My take is that many Trump cultists just cannot accept reality because it it too far to fall. That is, if they thought he was pretty bad it wouldn't be too far out to then think he was one of the worst in history. BUT, because they are fooling themselves that he he "Great", it is impossible to fathom the reality. That's quite typical when it comes to human behavior.
again, putting Trump as the worst President in history after 2 years when the economy is doing well and no new wars shows you and the left have TDS.

Trump didn't come in and turned the economy backward and he didn't start new unnecessary wars, so calling him the worst President in history shows the hatred you have for him and just ignorance of history.

LBJ took a delicate situation in Vietnam and made it worse then he doubled down on the war. He had a Democrat House and Senate and 90% of Republicans willing to support the Civil Rights Act, so he just had to sign it after he rejected it many times in the '40s and '50s as the Senate Majority leader.

If Trump did what LBJ did in Vietnam, you all would say Trump is the worst President in the world. That's how disingenuous you sound here.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:26 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,769,934 times
Default Don is a terrible person and horrible president, but George W. Bush was a worse president.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:28 PM

25,441 posts, read 9,802,950 times
He has no concept of separation of powers. He inserts or tries to insert himself into every branch of government. He's actually succeeded in some instances, especially with Barr being his own personal lapdog and yes man. He has so many vacancies in his administration because it is difficult to find enough people to unequivocally go along with his every whim, thank God. He is certainly going to try to make the Supreme Court his lackeys as well. I just hope Roberts stays the course. I don't expect Kavanaugh to do anything but what Trump wants. However, I hold my breath every time an issue goes to them.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Nixon won twice and by a wider margin than Obama...your point?
Nixon resigned as a crook - the first in US History. He was intensely disliked when he left office and unit the end of his days. Even a co-op in NYC wouldn't let him live there.

Obamas approval rating is STILL high and he measures quite further up the scale than Nixon.....

Those things, facts, may not be of interest to you. But they still exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies