Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 08:36 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times

Advertisements

Amazon, Google, Facebook, Twitter, MSN, Apple, and the rest of tech, and media are all hateful, far left progressive companies. Their culture sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 08:44 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Amazon, Google, Facebook, Twitter, MSN, Apple, and the rest of tech, and media are all hateful, far left progressive companies. Their culture sucks.
It's better to stick with outfits like tRump University.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:58 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Blah blah blah.

Amazon’s stock value is completely artificial and has nothing to do with hard work, the more people who buy into it, the more wealthy Amazon becomes and the more control they have over other people’s money.

If you have to invest in Amazon to make money, then that means the system is broken, and yet you refuse to acknowledge using feedback to make money off of money has nothing to do with hard work.

Bezos didn’t create capital, he funneled it into his own pocket.
If you bought 1000 shares of AMZ in 1997 it would have cost you $1,500.

If you hung on to it, it would be worth $1,882,550, today, after accounting for 3 stock splits.

Market value of anything is determined by what people are willing to pay for it.

No one is forced to invest in anything.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:01 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
If you bought 1000 shares of AMZ in 1997 it would have cost you $1,500.

If you hung on to it, it would be worth $1,882,550, today, after accounting for 3 stock splits.

Market value of anything is determined by what people are willing to pay for it.

No one is forced to invest in anything.
Markets aren’t natural, they don’t rise off of higher output, they rise off of investment. Money makes money.

That is a broken and illogical system.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
No. He did it by distorting markets and using excess investments (investments beyond the current worth of the company) to sell products at a loss to close out competition (which destroyed millions of jobs) and then raise them when Amazon was in control of the online market to the point they controlled the distribution of capital.

Wanting one authoritarian company handle retail is delusional and deadly to the costumer, Bezos didn’t work hard to get here.
Innovation attracts venture capital investment.

Nearly 2 million third party independent sellers use Amazon to advertise and sell product. Nearly half of all units sold on Amazon are sold by independent third parties, who otherwise would not be able to reach a national/ international audience. More than 100,000 of those independent third party sellers surpassed $100,000 in annual sales last year. During the 2017 holiday season more than 1 billion items were sold by Independent third party sellers.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:20 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Innovation attracts venture capital investment.

Nearly 2 million third party independent sellers use Amazon to advertise and sell product. Nearly half of all units sold on Amazon are sold by independent third parties, who otherwise would not be able to reach a national/ international audience. More than 100,000 of those independent third party sellers surpassed $100,000 in annual sales last year. During the 2017 holiday season more than 1 billion items were sold by Independent third party sellers.
Good for them, too bad it is destroying our economic foundation for the capital control of one person.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:23 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Speaking only for myself here:

I was hired by Amazon at the age of 61 -- as an employee of Integrity Staffing(in-house temp agency); worked one Holiday peak-season, was furloughed, and recalled, after a thorough physical.

Seven months passed before I was directly hired, but I had full health benefits as a temp.

Pay was $13.50/hr -- same as direct hires; this was in 2010-12 (Amazon pegged base pay at 85% of the median wage for all industrial plants in the Metro (this sample does NOT include your local fast-food joint) SOURCE OF THE DATA: U S Department of Labor.

I had to struggle to "make rate", but was never directly pressured -- save by one very-junior supe who was promptly cautioned. But despite a degree in logistics and a warehousing background, I was never offered an opportunity for a more "cerebral" job (I've lived with a minor, but real physical handicap -- spinsl curvature -- since age 10, and the reluctance to invest in a 60+-year-old employee is understandable).

I was terminated (for "rate") approximately one week before a stock offer would have taken effect.

I then moved to another Amazon facility (again, as a temp) -- the commute was approximately the same at both locations; this "bought enough time" to allow me to retire at the full Social Security benefit.
To summarize; It's a rough game, (and definitely a young person's game), in an imperfect world, but I don't think I would have done as well anywhere else, and at that stage in life, I got no special treatment -- and didn't ask for any.

warts and all.
Amazon has like 6 distribution warehouses around here, they all have trouble with employee turnover, and getting enough people to apply, they are constantly having hiring events, take out full page ads in newspapers, etc. A company that has problems like this is usually not a good place to work.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:30 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
It's called capitalism.

Which the alleged lovers of capitalism resent when a capitalist who doesn't buy into their BS leaders like Trump succeeds.

I think they're just jealous that Bezos is FAR more successful and wealthy than slacker Donny who's basically a Trust Fund success baby, no matter how they try to spin it otherwise..

Old 10-09-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
This Iman is viewed as a leader within the Salafism movement within Sunni Islam. Long time US ally, Saudi Arabia is the global sponsor of this movement. Saudi loves Trump and Trump loves Saudi, despite its atrocious human rights violations.

This Iman has previously sued The Times ( UK) for defamation and received financial settlements and retractions.

Note how it attributes characterization to a private foundation to cover its butt.

The UK regulates charities. The Muslim Research and Development Foundation is in compliance with UK regulations and in good standing. Amazon does not get into the purpose of any charity.

There are more than 1 million 5013c and foreign equivalent organizations within the Amazon Smile Program, recommended by Amazon customers. There are thousands of churches in the program. Customers are free to select a chairity and change charities or no charity at any point in time. The Amazon Foundation donates .05 of the base price to the customer’s chosen charity.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:00 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
And pretty much where all the stock market gains have come from. Blows the minds of MAGA snowflakes everywhere I bet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies