Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2018, 10:43 PM

2,309 posts, read 901,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, according to Constitutional law, you need to have PROBABLE CAUSE in order to conduct a search and seizure without a warrant.
A frisk is not a search.

Quote:
Fourth Amendment: The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Stop and Frisk operates on less than probable cause. For that, it violates one's 4th amendment rights.
No it doesn't as it's not a search.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:03 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
A frisk is not a search.

No it doesn't as it's not a search.
So the cops are just search.. I mean.. frisking for something.
Like Im not driving a car, I just happen to be turning a wheel and pushing a pedal..

Old 11-21-2018, 11:10 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Why does everyone assume that only minorities will be targeted?

If a cop is on patrol in a high crime area and he sees some nefarious looking guys of any colour hanging out what is wrong with stopping to have a chat with them and a possible pat down?

If crime happens in black neighborhoods then guess where the cops will be patrolling?

If crime happens in hispanic neighborhoods then guess where the cops will be patrolling?

I used to live on Martha's Vineyard and I was stopped in traffic in Oaks Bluff and I watched as 2 white guys one carrying a case of beer were stopped by a cop walking his beat. The guys looked young. I couldn't hear the exchange but the guys produced their ID's and they were on their way. Some may look at that as a violation of the guys rights. Why should the cop stop them for walking down the sidewalk but I see it as a cop that cared about his community and cared about those young men that may have been heading to a party to get drunk and then later the same cop would be responding to an accident scene.

What is the difference if the cop is keeping the public safe on a posh island or the inner city of Chicago?

Imagine if a cop was to stop and frisk a guy and he finds an illegal gun. A gun that has been used to shoot people and would likely be used again.

Stop and Frisk is a good way to get the bad guys to stop carrying guns and then they would be less likely to pull one out in a fit of rage to murder a rival.

How about getting drugs off the streets.

There is nothing wrong with stop and frisk.
Agree 100% for all the reasons you've stated.

Old 11-22-2018, 01:12 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
A frisk is not a search.
Why do you want to live in a police state?

Old 11-22-2018, 01:45 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
So the safety of people in a stadium is more important than people on sidewalks or other public places?
For one, you have a choice in the matter. And secondly, everyone who enters has to undergo the same security protocol.

Stop-and-frisk is by its very nature not done by the choice of the friskee. As well, you're kidding yourself if you think it's "equally" carried out across the population.

Old 11-22-2018, 02:01 AM

24,625 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Trump supporters are fine with this because they just assume its all the minorities that will be harassed this way. They don't care about everyones rights. Just their own. They dont recognize the danger in that even.
Desperate times call for desperate measure and last I checked, the inner cities are still dangerous.

Someone has to step up and protect these neighborhoods from the criminals thugs who have taken it over.

Quote:
Chicago is considered the most gang-infested city in the United States, with a population of over 100,000 active members from nearly 60 factions. Gang warfare and retaliation is common in Chicago. Gangs were responsible for 61% of the homicides in Chicago in 2011.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Chicago

Old 11-22-2018, 02:04 AM

579 posts, read 368,068 times
Give me liberty or give me death!

Old 11-22-2018, 05:38 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Desperate times call for desperate measure and last I checked, the inner cities are still dangerous.

Someone has to step up and protect these neighborhoods from the criminals thugs who have taken it over.
Quote:
Chicago is considered the most gang-infested city in the United States, with a population of over 100,000 active members from nearly 60 factions. Gang warfare and retaliation is common in Chicago. Gangs were responsible for 61% of the homicides in Chicago in 2011.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Chicago
Oh, please... We ALL know the inherently and historically racist US left-wing would rather the minorities in Chicago kill each other and take themselves out than try to prevent the violent murders.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:35 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
The whole reason it has been banned is because minorities were being targeted.

What don't people understand about the Police? They go where the crime is and if that is a minority community they can't help that. If the minorities don't like it then they should stop being criminals.

Now of course not all minorities are criminals, percentage wise there are just as many idiots out there that are white but they tend to be spread out more and not congregated in a few neighborhoods.

I think we should ask the good people that live in the high crime areas what they think of stop and frisk.

I know if I lived in a city and there was some loser hanging out all day on the corner selling drugs that I would want the cops to swing by and make his life difficult.

There are not too many racist cops out there despite what the Dems tell us and we need to let the good cops do their jobs to protect the communities they patrol. Stop and Frisk is a tool in their belt, a tool that should make the criminals think twice about carrying drugs and weapons.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:40 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
What about the concept of Probable Cause, and Due Process? I agree with Trump most of the time, but he is WRONG here. Stop and frisk is a violation of Civil Rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies