Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 04:56 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
This was absolutely done to target Native Americans, do they have any evidence of voter fraud that required this drastic action. We have seen this same action played out over the last few years to remove valid voters from the rolls.

Nope. This law specifically allows these tribal councils to provide their members with a compliant id with an address. It doesn't even require the address be a USPS postal address. These tribes could have easily done this by now, instead they chose to do nothing but legally resist it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 05:24 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Nope. This law specifically allows these tribal councils to provide their members with a compliant id with an address. It doesn't even require the address be a USPS postal address. These tribes could have easily done this by now, instead they chose to do nothing but legally resist it.
Of course the tribes have nothing better to do than resist laws. It's not like they know how to run their own reservations or anything. And this is really not a voter ID law. This is a physical address law, and it's not at all the same thing as a voter ID law. Many, if not most Natives have IDs. Few of them have physical addresses. This is not about identification. This is about blocking votes.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:29 PM

57,270 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Well if what you say is true what does a compliant ID look like, and if the reservations are developing an ID what exactly have they accomplished by this process. It seems this entire process was to make it more difficult, why are they suddenly doing this now after decades of inaction, what exactly was the problem they are addressing.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Of course the tribes have nothing better to do than resist laws. It's not like they know how to run their own reservations or anything. And this is really not a voter ID law. This is a physical address law, and it's not at all the same thing as a voter ID law. Many, if not most Natives have IDs. Few of them have physical addresses. This is not about identification. This is about blocking votes.

Apparently, they are running them so well that the average income on a reservation is half that of national average. Maybe it's time they stepped into the modern world. Like having a physical address in a database.

Voter Id is about showing that you are entitled to vote where you are attempting to vote. And that means proving residency. Proving where you live. Reservations cross state boundaries.

I have an Id that proves who I am but it doesn't prove that I am entitled to vote in North Dakota. PO Boxes do not prove residency. You can go get yourself 50 different PO Boxes but that doesn't prove you live in 50 different places or entitle you to vote 50 times.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:26 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Apparently, they are running them so well that the average income on a reservation is half that of national average. Maybe it's time they stepped into the modern world. Like having a physical address in a database.

Voter Id is about showing that you are entitled to vote where you are attempting to vote. And that means proving residency. Proving where you live. Reservations cross state boundaries.

I have an Id that proves who I am but it doesn't prove that I am entitled to vote in North Dakota. PO Boxes do not prove residency. You can go get yourself 50 different PO Boxes but that doesn't prove you live in 50 different places or entitle you to vote 50 times.
I am looking for the law that says I am an ND resident only if i have a residential address there. I used the example before. I live in an RV and I do not maintain a fixed address. Do you really believe that I am therefore not an ND citizen? If I try that in California can I get out of paying CA income tax?

In actual fact there are any number of ways of establishing a residential address virtually ankywhere. At various times I have had two. I for instance lived for a year where I had an address in Dallas, Los Angeles and Rochester. So in fact a residential address has no role in determining residence.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:29 PM

Simple solution, we'll require a SS number to register and link all the state's voter registrations together to be sure no SS number is registered in more than one place.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:30 PM

As far as this thread pertains to North Dakota, there's no need to debate it further. All appeals have been exhausted. The final decision has been rendered. Get over it.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:33 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
As far as this thread pertains to North Dakota, there's no need to debate it further. All appeals have been exhausted. The final decision has been rendered. Get over it.
Untrue. The original decision still stands. This is simply dealing with the injunction preventing enforcing the law.

Read the reality...not what you think it means.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I am looking for the law that says I am an ND resident only if i have a residential address there.

Residency

Any person who has lived in this state 90 consecutive days shall be deemed a resident of North Dakota for the purpose of non-driver photo identification card issuance. Proof of North Dakota resident address is required. You must be a resident of North Dakota to obtain a non-driver photo identification card.

https://www.dot.nd.gov/divisions/dri...quirements.htm

Old 10-10-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Untrue. The original decision still stands. This is simply dealing with the injunction preventing enforcing the law.

Then what's all the fuss about? Will a person be allowed to vote in ND without an Id having a physical address?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies