Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think kids with birth defects is a good thing?
No 22 39.29%
Yes, the more drugs and defects, the better 34 60.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 06:59 AM

3,851 posts, read 2,223,743 times

Advertisements

Common claims:

- Marijuana is not physically addictive. It has always been the consensus among users that it's not addictive.

- We all know that cigarettes cause lung cancer, but it is widely claimed that smoking marijuana does not. I find that hard to believe because marijuana smoke should be just as harmful to the lungs. Why wouldn't it be?

- Marijuana kills brain cells. Way back in the early 90s people were saying this like it was true. Is there any permanent affect on the brain?

- Marijuana has long been used for some alleged medical purposes. People swear by it. Everything from treating glaucoma, to treating/curing epileptic seizures, to easing pain.

Has any of this been verified? 20 some odd years ago, I remember there were never any definitive answers, and the explanation was that research had not been done. But now that's it's legitimate in several states, there should be plenty of funding available for real research.

What do we know about marijuana? What's accepted? - not fringe theories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 07:06 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
As you get older, as a habitual several times daily pot smoker, here's what happens to you. First you have a heart attack. You start getting early onset of dementia and can't function in a daily capacity. You lose the ability to drive. Then you have your 2nd heart attack. You develop emphysema and a chronic cough, you lose you ability to care about others, even your mother and father, and you live your whole life chasing the high. It's no different than being addicted to crack.

I know this because as I'm getting older, my pothead friends are all dying early and with serious health problems.
I'm sorry, but I am flat out going to call you a liar.

I am 62 in a few weeks, and have used it daily for 47 years. I have many friends who are in the same age group and have similar lifestyles.

All of us have fully-functioning brains, and even though I have lost a number of friends to cancer, none of them have been my marijuana-using friends. We are still working hard, playing hard, paying our taxes, and having a good life.

Your lies are VERY obvious to this particular "loser" (as I was called previously in this thread). My evergy level and health is off the chart, I'm 5'11" and 188 lbs, I keep my home and lawn nice, and have never taken a government handout in my life.

I must ask why you have the motivation to spread such lies in the first place? Did this particular plant do something to you personally that has caused you to be so jaded and obviously untruthful? Or maybe your job forces such an agenda on you?

Please do tell, because millions of healthy marijuana users in this country indicate you are purposely lying. Your statement isn't part of the brainwashing we have all endured over the last 81 years, this goes beyond that. Why?

Last edited by Raddo; 10-10-2018 at 07:18 AM..

Old 10-10-2018, 07:12 AM

17,339 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post

I am 62 in a few weeks, and have used it daily for 47 years. I have many friends who are in the same age group and have similar lifestyles.

All of us have fully-functioning brains, and even though I have lost a number of friends to cancer, none of them have been my marijuana-using friends. We are still working hard, playing hard, paying our taxes, and having a good life.

Your lies are VERY obvious to this particular "loser" (as I was called previously in this thread). My evergy level and health is off the chart, I'm 5'11" and 188 lbs, I keep my home and lawn nice, and have never taken a government handout in my life.

I must ask why you have the motivation to spread such lies in the first place? Did this particular plant do something to you personally that has caused you to be so jaded and obviously untruthful?
Addicted long term pot users wouldn't be able to recognize a decline in mental capacity in themselves nor would they ever admit to it.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Addicted long term pot users wouldn't be able to recognize a decline in mental capacity in themselves nor would they ever admit to it.
If you saw my work, you would have to eat those words.

I designed and currently build complex pieces of test equipment for a niche part of the electronics industry. It requires that I understand electronic theory, computer hardware, and computer programming on a level that goes beyond most people's comprehension. I have been in the high-tech industry for 40+ years. That is just one of the three businesses I own and operate.

Do my posts indicate a decline in mental capacity to you? If so, please point it out.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:31 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,980,107 times
Quote:

I must ask why you have the motivation to spread such lies in the first place? Did this particular plant do something to you personally that has caused you to be so jaded and obviously untruthful? Or maybe your job forces such an agenda on you?

Please do tell, because millions of healthy marijuana users in this country indicate you are purposely lying. Your statement isn't part of the brainwashing we have all endured over the last 81 years, this goes beyond that. Why?
How often do you smoke? Once a day, 5 times a day? All day everyday?

Old 10-10-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
How often do you smoke?
Every day. And most important: I use the right strains. Except for a period of 3 years about 25 years ago that I stopped, it has been that way for 47 years.

For example, if I am coding I purposely use a strain that allows me to intensely focus. It enables me to block out almost everything else and focus only on the code and the creativity needed to create it.

If I were to instead use a strain that is more suited to late night relaxing, it would get in the way of my coding and be a distraction.

It's a great example of how strain selection is so important, but prohibition takes that ability away from most of us. Most of the cannabis on the street is heavy Indica-leaning strains, good for couch-lock and sleeping. So some people who seem lethargic and unmotivated after using it are simply using the wrong strain. There are others which all strains have a tendency to make lethargic and unmotivated. Those are the ones who have no business using it, but we should not ruin their life and throw them in jail if they are caught with some, nor should we infer that is the way it affects everyone.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:43 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,980,107 times
Quote:
Every day. And most important: I use the right strains. Except for a period of 3 years about 25 years ago that I stopped, it has been that way for 47 years.

For example, if I am coding I very purposely use a strain that allows me to focus on the code. It enables me to block out almost everything else.

If I were to instead use a strain that is more suited to late night relaxing, it would get in the way of my coding and be a distraction.

It's a great example of how strain selection is so important, but prohibition takes that ability away from most of us. Most of the cannabis on the street is heavy Indica-leaning strains, good for couch-lock and sleeping. So some users who seem lethargic and unmotivated and simply using the wrong strain. And with others, all strains have a tendency to make them lethargic and unmotivated. Those are the ones who have no business using it, but we should not ruin their life and throw them in jail if they are caught with some.
In SC we don't have strains, we have weed. And the all day smokers I know are brain dead my friend. I can't speak for your situation, I'm sure your quality of drug is better than ours, we have to buy ours from street dealers here. I also know several weekend warriors who smoke on the weekends and at night, and they can still function just fine, but the bad users I know are wrecked humans. It's just like anything if taken in excesses. It will help lead to your death eventually.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:43 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,066,841 times
Had a heart attack at 52. Rarely to never drank until after the heart attack. I did smoke cigarettes until around 35.

In all the questioning by many doctors the minute i said i once smoked cigarettes, they stopped asking question.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:46 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
As you get older, as a habitual several times daily pot smoker, here's what happens to you. First you have a heart attack. You start getting early onset of dementia and can't function in a daily capacity. You lose the ability to drive. Then you have your 2nd heart attack. You develop emphysema and a chronic cough, you lose you ability to care about others, even your mother and father, and you live your whole life chasing the high. It's no different than being addicted to crack.

I know this because as I'm getting older, my pothead friends are all dying early and with serious health problems.
Correlation does not imply causation. Maybe your friends are all obese couch potatoes who live unhealthy lifestyles. That would be a more logical explanation, since there are millions of regular users who suffer none of what you've described here.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:47 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Clicking on the poll results is good for hearty chuckle. ;D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies