Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 09:29 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Justice Kavanaugh’s colleagues certainly don’t share your views. They’re still hung up on that troublesome “evidence” thing...
The people who went to college with him do agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 09:33 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, they are fine. These FBI actions, which Trump and GOP call "historic investigations" were routine background checks, not designed to look into his alcohol abuse in college, but instead simply to see if he had a criminal record.
Bull****. They talked to over 150 people from his background - on all sorts of things related to his behavior. Stop lying.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:39 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
This is what you Saul Alinsky followers do...you are trying to drive all of us crazy. Gaslighting. It's all part of the 'Rules For Radicals'.

You've made normal things insane, and insane things normal. You accused Kavanaugh of sexual assault and abuse and god knows what else, and then you people had the nerve to say he got angry because of that?

Liberals have destroyed this once-fine nation.
Oh please, quit clutching your pearls.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:11 AM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
No
He never admitted to any wrong doing
He even lied and said his drinking as a senior was legal--when he was under 18 which was legal age in Maryland. And so his drinking. Was illegal for most of his senior year

He said he "liked beer"
A guy who has a two beer max anytime he drinks and a guy who guzzles beer and gets drunk nightly can both be said to "like beer"...
That is an equivocation to divert from the actual pattern of drinking
Binge drinking on weekends in college is rampart and common among high school students--along with use of drugs of various of kinds
Nothing new in this and certainly happened when Kavanaugh was in prep and college
He was not "abnormal" in his behavior
It was pretty typical then and now
But because it is "typical" doesn't excuse it or the damage that comes with it...
He never said he was legal to drink in high school. He said seniors were able to buy alcohol legally so there was a lot of drinking at parties. He also admitted that he drank beer, sometimes too much beer. What more was he supposed to say to the questions asked of him? He didn’t lie under oath! It’s a bs smear yet again.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:18 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Well, judging by how many said it to me in hundreds of anti-Kavanaugh posts, here's why 36 year old accusations can and apparently should affect your future job prospects - because not court of law.

Apparently, your individual legal protections only exist inside a court of law and exactly nowhere else. Groundless accusations, slander, libel, etc are all cool so long as you are outside a court of law.

This is exactly the argument I hear from many on the Left.

Along with how it's ok to attack freedom of speech, as long as it's not the government who's doing it.

(Unless you're an NFL player taking a knee of course)

Old 10-10-2018, 10:20 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
If this is the new standard, than the people with criminal records from being arrested in BLM protests should never be hired!
lol, so let me get this straight civil disobedience and sexual assault are the same thing in your eyes?

Old 10-10-2018, 10:52 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
lol, so let me get this straight civil disobedience and sexual assault are the same thing in your eyes?
No, let's get this straight... Accusations are as good as proven guilty in your eyes?

Old 10-10-2018, 10:53 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I heard from co-workers blasting Kavanaugh's confirmation and how he's a sleaze-ball and dirty old man. How can his college day behavior some 30 years ago can be used to determine his job qualification today? Did we just ignore his 30 year service? I'm sure nobody here is a perfect angel in college. If this sets a precedent, it'll be hard to find any qualified perfect model citizen to hold public office.
HS/college behavior only affects conservatives. Liberals held to a different standard.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:13 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
Speaking of moving the goal posts, what is the argument Kavanaugh's fan club wants to make? That he didn't do it or it's not a big deal because it was just high school?

If he didn't do anything, there's no need to insist it was all just high school hijinks that don't matter.

If it's all just high school hijinks that don't matter, why be so adamant that he didn't do anything?

Sometimes people behave badly when they are young, and they grow out of it and look back on those years with remorse and under those circumstances, I'd weigh a youthful mistake with the person's current behavoir.

Kavanaugh's current behavior is screaming, ranting, crying, and shrieking hysterically that anything negative anyone says about him is a liberal conspiracy, that the multiple references in his yearbook, calendars, and letters that his peers recognize as references to sex and drinking don't mean that, and that he was a pious, church going football player who has never done anything wrong in his entire life

But perhaps the bigger picture is - why does this thread exist? You won! The guy is on the court. Why are you still angry?

Republicans control every branch of the government. You have won everything there is to win. Why are you guys still so angry all the time?

I think it's because the party doesn't know how to govern, only how to oppose. You can't get excited about what you stand FOR, just what you stand against. So even when you're winning, you just can't stop looking for things to be outraged about. Anger is the only fuel that keeps the enthusiasm engine running.
Since you guys keep changing the charges, it can be a little hard to keep up, so I’ll catch you up. Yes, he liked to drink, but that is not a big deal because he was a teenager. No, he didn't commit sexual assault.

I’m not sure who you think is angry. Most conservatives I know are pretty happy right now. There is more to be accomplished, but I think most of us are pretty happy with what has been done so far.

The left seems extremely angry to me, not the right. Their politicians are speaking against civility and about getting up in the faces of republicans. They chase the families of conservatives out of restaurants, etc, etc.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:18 AM

1,768 posts, read 567,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Since you guys keep changing the charges, it can be a little hard to keep up, so I’ll catch you up. Yes, he liked to drink, but that is not a big deal because he was a teenager. No, he didn't commit sexual assault.

I’m not sure who you think is angry. Most conservatives I know are pretty happy right now. There is more to be accomplished, but I think most of us are pretty happy with what has been done so far.

The left seems extremely angry to me, not the right. Their politicians are speaking against civility and about getting up in the faces of republicans. They chase the families of congressmen out of restaurants, etc, etc.
The existence of this thread, and a second thread about the hearings, started after Kavanaugh had been sworn in, would suggest that people still want to fight about a thing that's over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies