Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 08:40 PM

2,448 posts, read 894,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
The members of the religious right who oppose it must have watched Reefer Madness when they were younger and thought it was a documentary?

I think some of the more conservative churches speak to the evils of all substances that alter the mind. These same folks are the ones who were behind prohibition.
First "Reefer Madness" mention in the thread! It's like clockwork...bro!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 09:15 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I want to preface by saying I know not all conservatives are against legalization. However, the primary resistance to legalizing cannabis at this time is coming from the Republican Party, specifically the donor class and the religious right.

Why is this one of those issues where the typical "small government" narrative does not apply? Why is it that we need a big nanny-state government to protect ourselves from the devil's lettuce? Is it because conservatives simply detest weed because it's more commonly associated with liberal sectors of the American populace? Is it because they believe it is sinful? Do conservatives genuinely believe that the War on Drugs is working and that locking up non-violent marijuana users is a good idea? Conservatives hate when liberals compare weed to alcohol and tobacco but it's a very good comparison. Recreational use is a vice and weed has medicinal properties for some people and conditions.

I'm not saying marijuana is harmless. I think the risk factors are overblown but it isn't completely harmless. However, just because there are risks associated doesn't necessarily mean it should be illegal. Why do Republicans typically think otherwise?

What are you talking about?

It's the Democrats, fueled by money from the prison industrial complex, which has jailed millions of people for simple possession. They absolutely don't want to make Pot legal.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:26 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I prefer alcohol to weed too but who am I to tell somebody that my drug of choice should be their drug of choice?
I think that one of the main problems is too many associate it as only a drug

drinking alcohol (whiskey, tequila, vodka, etc ) has only a few purposes..drinking, fuel(only the extremely high proof which is almost undrinkable..(which is why I said "drinking alcohol)), and a local disinfectant and yes it is a drug

hemp has 1001 uses other than getting high

Last edited by workingclasshero; 10-10-2018 at 10:40 PM..

Old 10-10-2018, 10:01 PM

2,448 posts, read 894,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

It's the Democrats, fueled by money from the prison industrial complex, which has jailed millions of people for simple possession. They absolutely don't want to make Pot legal.
Very few people end up in prison for simple marijuana possession. That idea is pure propaganda, and anytime you hear propaganda or someone points out propaganda to you, it's wise to ask why they are misleading people.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:15 PM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I think that one of the main problems is too many associate it as only a drug

drinking alcohol (whiskey, tequila, vodka, etc ) has only one purpose..drinking and yes it is a drug

hemp has 1001 uses other than getting high
Not exactly correct, alcohol can be burned as fuel and as a disinfectant so like weed, it has value beyond its drug effect.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:15 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
For whatever reason they oppose industrial hemp in South Dakota as well. Why? I have no idea. They have to be getting paid off by somebody to tow the same old crap over and over again.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...dakota-capitol

Old 10-10-2018, 11:18 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I don't hear a lot for the Republicans on this issue. I think they realize the pot-legalization-ship has sailed.
It hasnt sailed at all, if you remember the DEA took a full page ad out reminding people that marijuana was still a schedule one drug and would remain that way...they were not even considering changing the schedule!!

Imo, that is the problem right there, a Govt agency NOT listening to what the people want, public opinion on marijuana and other drugs is changing, if Govt does not serve the interest of the people, we can remedy that pretty quickly, even by force if necessary.

As Ive said before, the DEA and other narco law enforcement agencies are a big part of the problem, they do what they want, they fight to keep all drugs as illegal as possible..Gee, thats exactly what the drug cartels want too...now isnt that a funny coincidence?! LOL

Seriously, Ive told my kids thru out their lives, DEA are scum of the earth, lowest of the low, they deserve NO respect, they are WORSE than the drug cartels who make this stuff.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:27 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Not exactly correct, alcohol can be burned as fuel and as a disinfectant so like weed, it has value beyond its drug effect.
Alcohol actually is even a fuel for the human body but mostly empty calories like sugar lol. I don't like it as a motor fuel, but it certainly is a fuel, a good solvent and anti-septic, and temporary pain reliver too.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:35 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I want to preface by saying I know not all conservatives are against legalization. However, the primary resistance to legalizing cannabis at this time is coming from the Republican Party, specifically the donor class and the religious right.

Why is this one of those issues where the typical "small government" narrative does not apply? Why is it that we need a big nanny-state government to protect ourselves from the devil's lettuce? Is it because conservatives simply detest weed because it's more commonly associated with liberal sectors of the American populace? Is it because they believe it is sinful? Do conservatives genuinely believe that the War on Drugs is working and that locking up non-violent marijuana users is a good idea? Conservatives hate when liberals compare weed to alcohol and tobacco but it's a very good comparison. Recreational use is a vice and weed has medicinal properties for some people and conditions.

I'm not saying marijuana is harmless. I think the risk factors are overblown but it isn't completely harmless. However, just because there are risks associated doesn't necessarily mean it should be illegal. Why do Republicans typically think otherwise?
Honestly, I don't think you have your finger on the pulse of where the GOP is heading. Like it or not, dragged kicking and screaming if necessary, the younger generation of the GOP is anti-authoritarian, Libertarian and pro-legalization. There's still far too much of the nanny-statists in the party for my tastes, which is one of the countless reasons I don't number myself with them. But that's the direction the wind is blowing. The Left is morphing from hyper-liberal to a weird feel-good hyper-authoritarism. The Right is grabbing up the casualties cast off by the Left in the wake of that move. The old traditional GOP'ers won't be able to stay in control for much longer as a result. May not be much point calling it the Grand Old Party once it's fully shifted.

Brass tax: Marijuana is bad for you. So is cocaine, heroin, PCP, LSD, crystal meth, crack, speed, etc. I have never done any illegal drug and never will, but I do want to see all of the above decriminalized. I'd rather save the spot in prison for child rapists and check the dumbass who overdosed on heroin into rehab instead. Rehab costs less and is a helluva lot more effective. There is an endless list of activities that are dangerous or even outright self-destructive that are also completely legal. This is as it should be. The state should never be in the business of protecting people from themselves.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:35 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

When will we see an effort coming from the GOP to legalize marijuana? Furthermore, when will they stop trying to fight it every step of the way? When that happens, I'll believe you. You are living in fantasy land if you deny that at this point in time, Democrats are more in favor of legalizing weed than Republicans. It's actually not even a contest.

You people are absolutely unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies