Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2018, 12:26 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
2) we also see warming of other planets in our solar system …. so unless you're going to provide some evidence that there are Martians up there driving around in SUV's, and coal fired electric plants pumping CO2 into the missing Martian atmosphere ….
LOL every post you make exposes your ignorance about climate change.

Here's a long list of peer reviewed papers debunking your utterly ignorant comment about "Mars is warming"

Debunking the 'Mars is Warming' Myth

If reading peer reviewed published papers is too much for your brain to handle I will make it easy for you.

Mars is not warming globally.

Martian climate is primarily driven by dust and albedo and there is little empirical evidence that Mars is showing long term warming.

Last edited by Matadora; 10-18-2018 at 12:36 PM..

Old 10-18-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
I guess you didn't watch any of the videos. The news articles sources are from the UN, NASA, and other scientists, just like today. But this times is different right?
I take my information directly from NASA's website vs. what some random person put together on YouTube.

You should check out their website..it's much more credible than what you find in newspaper articles discussed on YouTube.

Graphic: The relentless rise of carbon dioxide

Can you address the other question I asked in response to your comment below?
Quote:
CO2 is a natural gas which human produce in a tiny amount as compared with the amount the earth produces. Can you please explain to me why the average 13C/12C ratio of the atmosphere is decreasing?
Can you please explain what caused the atmospheric 13C/12C ratio to shift?

The 13C/12C ratio of the atmosphere since 1850 is about 0.15%.

The full glacial-to-interglacial change in 13C/12C of the atmosphere — which took many thousand years — was about 0.03%, or about 5 times less than that observed in the last 150 years.

What caused this shift?

Old 10-18-2018, 12:31 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Bull droppings ….
1) You're talking about a period of 50 years!!! Climate is not measured in such short increments of time. Temperature variations within a 50 year period have NO VALUE to the discussion of climate.
They do if we're pumping massive amounts of C02 into the atmosphere and we can't think of any other reason why Earth is warming. Earth doesn't just randomly increase in temperature. Something has to cause that.

Quote:
2) we also see warming of other planets in our solar system …. so unless you're going to provide some evidence that there are Martians up there driving around in SUV's, and coal fired electric plants pumping CO2 into the missing Martian atmosphere ….
They are? You mean now? Which ones? Also, what does that have to do with Earth? None of those places have atmospheres that are at all similar to Earth's.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:36 PM

18,447 posts, read 8,275,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
They do if we're pumping massive amounts of C02 into the atmosphere and we can't think of any other reason why Earth is warming.
then our science is nothing more than a guess....
Temps have been rising at exactly the same rate since 1850.....adding more CO2 should have caused the rate to increase

Old 10-18-2018, 12:40 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Temps have been rising at exactly the same rate since 1850.....
This is a false statement.

Quote:
adding more CO2 should have caused the rate to increase
The rates have increased and still continue to increase.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
then our science is nothing more than a guess...
WOW just wow! Science does not explain the observations seen in the natural world via guessing.

Do you know what the Scientific Method is?
Quote:
Temps have been rising at exactly the same rate since 1850.....adding more CO2 should have caused the rate to increase
Can you provide any credible data that supports this claim?

The scientific data does not support your claims. I see you must be guessing about this.

Quote:
According to an ongoing temperature analysis conducted by scientists at NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS), the average global temperature on Earth has increased by about 0.8° Celsius (1.4° Fahrenheit) since 1880. Two-thirds of the warming has occurred since 1975, at_a_rate_of roughly 0.15-0.20°C per decade.
Source: NASA World Observatory

Old 10-18-2018, 12:43 PM

1,675 posts, read 576,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I take my information directly from NASA's website vs. what some random person put together on YouTube.

Can you address the other things I responded to in your post?

What the random person is showing is that the same NASA, UN, "scientific" information you take as the gospel has been put out in news article for decades, and they are ALWAYS WRONG.

Yet, you want me to response to the non-sense you are regurgitating.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:43 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
They do if we're pumping massive amounts of C02 into the atmosphere and we can't think of any other reason why Earth is warming. Earth doesn't just randomly increase in temperature. Something has to cause that.

Earth doesn't just randomly increase in temperature... and the two dozen interglacial periods over the last 4 billion years didn't happen??

Old 10-18-2018, 12:45 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Go look at the temperature record, none of the glaciations or interglacials were from cooling or heating over millions of years. In most cases, you see see a very sharp increase or decline of 10+ degrees C, in only thousands or possibly even hundreds of years.

I don't have access to a high-resolution graph to find the specifics. And it depends on how the graph plots its points.

Take this picture for instance, which is data from the GISP2. If you look at the Minoan Warm period, you can see about a 2'C increase in a few hundred years, and then slightly more than 2'C decrease in the next 200 years.

In that picture, you'll also see that the average line is in green. Most of the time when a scientist is plotting points for his graph, he takes averages over a set period of time and plots only those points.

If you were to look at that graph and only look at the green line, you would think that it took about 6,500 years for the temperature to slowly decline by 2'C. But that isn't what happened at all.

And this is the problem when you look at a graph of the climate from hundreds of thousands of years ago. For practical reasons, the points are graphed on probably a hundred year or a thousand year basis, which makes the increase or decrease appear much more smooth and far less erratic than it really was.

As you pointed-out, 1880 was warmer than 1900, so depending on where you start and end, the average increase or decrease can look quite different. The increase from 1900 to 1945 was incredibly sharp, but if you averaged from 1900-1980, it would be much less sharp. And if you averaged from 1880 to 1980, it would seem even less sharp.

If the current increase in temperature continues at the current rate, unabated for another 100 years, it would be quite unusual, although not unprecedented. But it isn't like the predictions have been very good over the last several decades. They have pretty much all vastly overestimated the amount of warming that would occur. Which is why people began to call these people "global warming alarmists".

Part of the problem is that people put too much faith in CO2 as the primary catalyst of climate. As you might be aware, there is an "800-year lag" between CO2 levels and temperature. Basically, CO2 levels didn't rise and then temperature rose. Rather, temperature rose and then CO2 levels rose. So CO2 as the primary driver of climate is mostly false.

With that said, I don't intend to appear like a climate-change denier, or the believer that CO2 has no effects on climate. I believe that it does. And honestly, I hate cars with a passion. I would rather us ride around on horses, or ride bicycles, or walk. I'm not on the side of the capitalists. And I hate the oil companies probably more than you.

But, I still place a high value on the truth. And I get triggers when I see bull****. Especially when I feel like the people making these claims have ulterior motives.

As I constantly tell my friends, I'm not as much interested in what you believe, as I am why you believe it.
This is a perfect example of the prevalence of taking a faulty starting point and building a whole skyscraper of faulty logic on top of it.

You looked at a chart, thought it looked good for your pre conceived belief and jumped on it. Multiple other people then bandwagoned on talking about how anyone who disagrees with them cant read charts etc.

What you failed to comprehend, is that charts final data point is for the year 1855. The base DATE of the chart is 1950 and the scale is "years before date" with the last data point at 95. The bolded section of your post shows you displayed 0 understanding of how to read this chart as you are referring to changes displayed in it for the years: "1900 to 1945 was incredibly sharp, but if you averaged from 1900-1980"... NONE OF THESE DATE RANGES ARE REPRESENTED IN THE CHART WHATSOEVER.

The practice of doing things such as cherry picking a chart who's last data point is from the year 1855 as "proof" of your position about modern climate science being false is a big reason why I can't take any of these denials seriously.

This kind of BS'ing is designed to gaslight people who do not know any better, and it works - as we can see clearly in this thread from all the bandwagon jumpers who ALSO do not understand how to read a chart.

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 10-18-2018 at 12:57 PM..

Old 10-18-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
What the random person is showing is that the same NASA, UN, "scientific" information you take as the gospel has been put out in news article for decades, and they are ALWAYS WRONG.
LOL you had no credibility to begin with and this seals the deal.

I would like you to point out what they ALWAYS are WRONG about vs. just blurting out this nonsense. You have not convinced anyone with simply blurting out nonsense.
Quote:
Yet, you want me to response to the non-sense you are regurgitating.
LOL no one is regurgitating. I'm posting credible information and the source it came from.

You guys are all the same...dodge and evade and run away with an insult.

I'm still waiting for you to answer that very easy question I asked you about the ratio of atmospheric carbon isotopes changing. Stop dodging and evading answering that question. If you don't know the answer (which I'm 100% convinced you don't), then just admit your lack of knowledge and move on vs. acting like a child throwing a tantrum on the playground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies