Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2018, 08:04 PM

25,684 posts, read 18,773,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
You guys make American look really ignorant. It's not even a matter of understanding science to see how silly your graphs are. It's common sense.

Let's go back to your graph.

Do you know what's the source of the data? I do.

GLOBAL Land-Ocean Temperature Index in 0.01 degrees Celsius base period: 1951-1980

Now look at that data. Is is all consistent and the same temps all across the years for each month? LOL

No that's not what you see.

When plotted this is what you see. GISS Surface Temperature Analysis

Sorry, not the same data. What you linked to is Global Land-Ocean Temperature Index, which is a measure of temperature CHANGE. The graph from the other poster is not change, it's flat average yearly temperature plotted against year. After all, that's what we are discussing, right? Global mean yearly temperature going up, no? So look at the graph. Has it gone up? Yes it has. But how much? That graph shows the change accurately. And it doesn't matter who printed it, as long as the input data is not falsified, it is accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Why did you post that link?...it has nothing to do with the graph.

The graph is accurate, it's GISS/NASA annual global land and sea temps...

https://www.cornwallalliance.org/wp-...al-warming.jpg

Man, you are just a fountain of knowledge tonight. Thank you! So, Matadora, look at that link. You will see two graphs. They are two views of the SAME data (ave temp vs year on the first, and Y-scaling transformed to temp change on the second and degrees zoomed in radically). Which of those two would you present if you were trying to convince people of a big catastrophic change? They are both accurate, but the second leads your thoughts in the exact opposite direction than does the first, no?

Last edited by ChrisC; 10-20-2018 at 08:14 PM..

Old 10-20-2018, 08:08 PM

18,425 posts, read 8,256,472 times
Quote:
You guys make American look really ignorant. It's not even a matter of understanding science to see how silly your graphs are. It's common sense.

Let's go back to your graph.

Do you know what's the source of the data? I do.

GLOBAL Land-Ocean Temperature Index in 0.01 degrees Celsius base period: 1951-1980

Now look at that data. Is is all consistent and the same temps all across the years for each month? LOL

No that's not what you see.

When plotted this is what you see. GISS Surface Temperature Analysis
You really don't know what you're talking about...does "base period" give you any kind of a clue?

Old 10-20-2018, 08:11 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,253,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
You really don't understand that it is all coming from the same data set, do you? You honestly don't.
I'm the one who posted the data set and yes it's all coming from the same data set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
The difference is in the way it is presented. One way tends to sensationalize it, the other does not.

Any statistician worth his/her salt knows how to present a given data set, graphically, in a way that is more likely to make his/her point. And that is assuming there is no fudging on the actual data. I can take the EXACT same set of data and plot it in a way that appears nearly flat line and in a way that appears as if the world is going to end tomorrow.
You don't have to be a statistician to see the glaring flaw in that non-credible graph.

I don’t really see how I can simplify the point I’m making here, it’s not even a question of science, just common sense. The trend over that time period is 0.8 degrees, so of course you can’t see it well using a scale of 160 degrees chosen ‘because that’s the range of a thermometer’. It’s nonsensical. A tiny change to global average temperature represents an enormous amount of energy. Think about how much energy is required to raise the temperature of a planet 1 degree.

Do you need me to break it down further for you?

Old 10-20-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
You really don't know what you're talking about...does "base period" give you any kind of a clue?
Really? I'm not the one posting stupid graphs and are unable to interpret the graph.

Its shocking that you posted that graph and don't even see the glaring error in it.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:14 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Remember, climate is what you expect - weather is what you get.
And also remember, that if you're 'trapping heat' but the land and atmosphere is colder than orbiting spaceships and moons with no atmosphere, reconsider your alarmist rhetoric.
. . .
Of course, do not let facts sway you in your beliefs in the Church of the Warming Planet. You have a right to practice whatever religion you wish.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:15 PM

18,425 posts, read 8,256,472 times
Quote:
Really? I'm not the one posting stupid graphs and are unable to interpret the graph.

Its shocking that you posted that graph and don't even see the glaring error in it.
Yes, you are the one unable to interpret the graph....it's not anomalies...it's real temperatures

I'm shocked that you posted a link to "difference in temperature" and can't even read that..

want a bigger shovel?

Old 10-20-2018, 08:15 PM

2,068 posts, read 997,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Fact, leaving capital control in the hands of private power have left our global well being on the precipice of destruction.

For a look at capital control by public (i.e. government) power, just look at the USSR. Er, I mean look at Cuba. Uh, wait a minute...look at Venezuela. No, how about China. Yes, China! That's the ticket. Just give me a minute to put on my mask to filter the smog. And don't pay any attention to the lack of fish in the Yangtze River.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
so you can't debunk the graph....you attack the source
The graph should be questioned. It's a joke.

Yes it's easy. Your graph uses the Kelvin scale. It will never detect the lowest average temps during an ice age.

First of all we don't use Kelvin in science.

You tell me why.

Hint: Kelvin score ranges from 0K to 273K

So this is what it's like in the mind a person who has no understanding of stats?

Old 10-20-2018, 08:18 PM

2,068 posts, read 997,909 times
Quote:
Yes, you are the one unable to interpret the graph....it's not anomalies...it's real temperatures

I'm shocked that you posted a link to "difference in temperature" and can't even read that..

want a bigger shovel?

Yep, it's real temperatures. All measured using the same thermometer, in the same location, where there's been no economic activity to alter the surrounding landscape for the past 150 years. They're REAL, I tell ya!

Old 10-20-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:

Silly woman...your graph means nothing. It's just something you found on the internet and posted it as if it some great insight. It's a freaking joke!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies