Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2018, 08:44 AM

38,977 posts, read 27,367,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Nice try, but no. Certainly, some narrow minded twits like I see on this thread don't like them, but a lot of folks, and I mean a lot, do like them. Otherwise, why would so many people get them? All you give is just sweeping generalizations that do not hold up to scrutiny. So again, your opinion does not change the facts.
Remember the poster who claimed that he had a friend who had to remove a tattoo in order to marry a woman because the woman's family has a problem with tattoo? I just don't get this type of thinking. So same man with a tattoo = unacceptable, same man without a tattoo = acceptable? I don't want to call people "stupid", but this kind of logic is foreign to me.

When someone does something I don’t like, perhaps think of it as they are simply solving a problem in a different way than I would. Or maybe they have a different timetable than I do. Maybe they are choosing a different path, or maybe, they just have a different taste. This kind of thinking may help me be more open-minded and accepting of their behavior. The Dalai Lama says: “People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.”

I don't understand why some people like to paint the entire group of people with one broad brush. If we disagree with their opinions, then we must be in denial or something. Very strange people.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 09:41 AM

2,448 posts, read 883,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, maybe you need to read the whole thread before commenting.

First of all, the poster's point is this: generally speaking, getting a tattoo (no matter how small, how big, and it doesn't matter what story behind it) is a stupid decision.

My point: well, I don't have a tattoo and I am not a fan of tattoo, but I think for a lot of people,it is just an individual decision. Consider the nature of tattooing, think it through before getting one and using common sense does not hurt. For some people, it is a well-thought-out decision, for some, it is just an impulsive act. For a lot of us, it is neither good or bad. Why not listening to their story first before judging them or before calling it a stupid decision?

Bottom line: Don't paint the entire group of people with one broad brush. This is scolding to you? sheesh, if you think this is scolding, then you are the one who is insecure about something.

Not reasonable enough for you?
Their "lived experience" isn't relevant. Of course they're going to rationalize this choice.

My argument has never been that these choices are usually knee-jerk decisions. That's the really concerning thing: I suspect a lot of these people think about it a lot and still get inked. Yikes!

Whenever I use the word "scold," I am mocking that person. Frankly, any grown adult who goes around demanding that people "stop judging others" is amusing itself, on several levels.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post

Whenever I use the word "scold," I am mocking that person. Frankly, any grown adult who goes around demanding that people "stop judging others" is amusing itself, on several levels.
well, we all judge, so I agree with you. I don't "demand" people stop judging others. I said, "hey, at least listen to people's stories before judging them." Not reasonable enough to you?

But painting the entire group of people with one broad brush is not a very wise thing to do, well, generally speaking.

I can't tell a person's social status, educational level, or iq score based on a person's tattoo. That is the only point I was making.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:48 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,098,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Thank you. Both were done by Gunnar Gaylord, originally out of Columbus, OH. He has now situated close to me in Quincy, MA, which is why I am getting ready for tattoo #3. I originally made a mistake with my first, an eagle. It wasn't a terrible one but wasn't great either.

Here is the original:
[IMG][/IMG]
What made it special to me was the circumstances in getting it. My daughter had just joined the Army (7+ years ago) and was stationed in Hawaii. She knew I always wanted a tattoo, and she wanted a rose on her ankle (her middle name). When we visited, her and I researched shops in Oahu and went out and each got out first tattoo together. It was a street shop, which in general in hindsight was the mistake. I am not dissing street shops, but they are a different breed than searching out a tattoo artist. I was very happy with it for a while, but then I began really researching the tattoo industry and realized my eagle was off. The body was wrong, etc.

The eagle currently on my arm was a freehand cover by Gunnar. I went back to him after my metal music tattoo because I was so happy with that result. He ended up doing a freehand cover and I think he did a great job.
My hummingbird was a freehand drawing. I get compliments on it all the time. Yours is great!

Old 10-13-2018, 10:31 AM

2,448 posts, read 883,520 times
Quote:
well, we all judge, so I agree with you. I don't "demand" people stop judging others. I said, "hey, at least listen to people's stories before judging them." Not reasonable enough to you?

But painting the entire group of people with one broad brush is not a very wise thing to do, well, generally speaking.

I can't tell a person's social status, educational level, or iq score based on a person's tattoo. That is the only point I was making.
I don't label someone "stupid" for getting a tattoo. I think it's a poor decision and find it to be the antithesis of "expressing individuality."

Old 10-13-2018, 10:34 AM

7,274 posts, read 5,246,499 times
Quote:
Oh, but I have learned something about you: you will perform cognitive contortions to avoid the fact that your life and your choices are constantly influenced by the people and groups around you. Few things illuminate conformity more than getting a tattoo in the year 2018. It's basically a cliche, along with the defense that "It expresses my individuality!" (chuckling) Oh, the irony!
You are entitled to your opinion about life and people.

And your choices in life are not influenced by anything other than your brilliance I assume.

Did I ever say anything about expressing individuality?

Talk about chuckling. Your broad-based assumption that I have illuminated conformity with my tattoos. You are the comical one here.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:37 AM

7,274 posts, read 5,246,499 times
Nice long thread about tattoos. I joined in the conversation because I enjoy tattoos. I enjoy researching the industry, and have a tattoo artist as a client of mine.

I'll bottom line my feelings about this entire subject:

I could give a sh*t less what people think about my tattoos. If you care to judge me because of them, you would never be a person in my life anyways because I personally look down upon people who judge others with their eyes. It's the ultimate form of shallowness.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I don't label someone "stupid" for getting a tattoo. I think it's a poor decision and find it to be the antithesis of "expressing individuality."
Fair enough. For me, I think it depends on the individual or situation. Somebody chose to have a small memorial tattoo to remember an important person in their life, it probably has very little to do with expressing individuality. So it is hard for me to say that, generally speaking, getting a tattoo (no matter what the reason behind it) is a poor decision. I do understand the point you are making though.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 10-13-2018 at 11:37 AM..

Old 10-13-2018, 01:01 PM

14,863 posts, read 8,152,888 times
Quote:
Here is the thing: even for people LIKE ME who DISLIKE tattoos do not imagine that everybody else has to DISLIKE tattoos. MOST reasonable people are not so obsessed with other people's personal choice.
Plenty of my friends have tattoos. I am not obsessed with their choices. And I've never said anything negative to them about their tattoos. At most I've only tried to discourage them from getting them.

But I agree, just like you guys, they would be pretty annoyed by many of the comments I've made in this thread, because they would take it as a personal attack.

But the question remains, "Is getting a tattoo a smart thing to do?"

I think it is demonstrably true that getting a tattoo is almost always a bad idea. And the debate isn't between whether getting a tattoo is a good idea or a bad idea, but to what degree it is a bad idea, and if it really matters.

Quote:
The stigma against tattoos is highly contextual. It does still exist, particularly in more conservative cultures and among the older generations.
Young people are more-likely to say, "What you do with your body is none of my business". And older people are more-likely to openly disapprove. But both young and old have equally-negative perceptions of people with tattoos. Regardless of if they have tattoos themselves.

Quote:
If it is something important to you, get it. Own it; be proud of the decision that you make. If it is not something important to you, then don't get it.
The same logic could be applied to anything. Including a face tattoo. But it still doesn't address the question of whether it is a smart thing to do. Why are you so unwilling to criticize anything?

Quote:
The bottom line: just don't be a jerk about it. Not sure why you need to play the information police here and act like everybody who disagrees with you must be in denial or something.
I said something that was true, and dozens of people got offended and said I was wrong. Why? Because most of them really are in denial.

Quote:
Maybe in your world, tattoo = stupid decision tattoo = a deal breaker; in my world, most folks do not give it a second thought.
You don't even believe this crap. Because you know that some tattoos really would be a deal-breaker.

The only example you EVER give, is some tiny tattoo in some place that will never be visible to anyone but you or your partner. Obviously if people don't know you have a tattoo, then nothing bad will come from it. But what does that have to do with anything?

Last edited by Redshadowz; 10-13-2018 at 01:30 PM..

Old 10-13-2018, 01:21 PM

14,863 posts, read 8,152,888 times
Quote:
Remember the poster who claimed that he had a friend who had to remove a tattoo in order to marry a woman because the woman's family has a problem with tattoo? I just don't get this type of thinking. So same man with a tattoo = unacceptable, same man without a tattoo = acceptable? I don't want to call people "stupid", but this kind of logic is foreign to me.
Why do people have negative perceptions of people with tattoos? And what might your willingness to remove your tattoo say about you as a person?

Quote:
I don't understand why some people like to paint the entire group of people with one broad brush. If we disagree with their opinions, then we must be in denial or something. Very strange people.
What you seem to be angry about is discrimination. But is discrimination a bad thing? Are all forms of discrimination a bad thing?

Is it illogical to make assumptions about someone based on their appearance? Are there no reasonable connections between someone's appearance and their personality or behavior?

When you go to court, do you dress like a slob or do you dress as professionally and cleanly as possible? If you go to court, is it wise to cover your tattoos? What about your attitude/disposition? Should you be yourself? Or should you be the best-possible version of yourself? What about at a job interview?

Everyone judges you, and they should judge you. Judging is thinking. To not judge is to not think.

If you want people to think you're a bad person, dress like one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL-1kHxsavI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies