Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2018, 10:48 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
He was there getting documents for a marriage. If you would do some research a "resident" is offered no US protections overseas.

Who else would stand up for Jamal Khashoggi? Living in the US, he was running from the threat of his own country. He graduated from Indiana State University in 1982. He lived in Washington, DC. He worked for a prominent US Newspaper. His children are US citizens and live here and go to school here. His children could be your children's friends. He had favorite restaurants and complained about traffic. He wanted to marry the woman he loved.

...then he was beset by an assassination squad, ordered by the head of a US ally, was tortured, dismembered and discarded, all while his fiance' was patiently waiting for him outside.

And the folks in this thread?

We don't care...

He wasn't one of us...

He's not our problem...

Whataboutisms...

What does it say about us if we can shrug our shoulders at the brutal murder of a member of our community simply because of a technicality? I support Trump on most things, but this is beyond the pale. We need him to stand up and take a stand and tell Saudi Arabia that assassinations of political enemies does not have a price tag. Countries around the world need to see that we will stand on our principles of justice, regardless of the cost.

Who cares about jobs? I don't want a job that was created on a blood-stained pedestal of elite cronyism. You can keep it.

My morals aren't for sale, and I expected more of my country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 10:52 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I would really like to see the Republicans get back their sense of right and wrong... some honor, this is a step in the right direction. They have miles to go, but at least this could be the first step.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-29-2018, 10:53 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Congress addressing wars in foreign countries, what a novel idea, it must feel great for them to be doing their job. This still needs to be approved but at least we know they are alive. I would hope that more senators would have an interest in halting support of Saudi Arabia in Yemen and not just because of their murder of he Washington Post reporter. Some 80,000 children starved to death and a few hundred thousand civilians have been killed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/28/u...gtype=Homepage
I see some of the Republicans are now finding their backbones now that the midterms are over. Even Lindsay Graham. I guess he won't be golfing with Trump no more.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:54 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Who else would stand up for Jamal Khashoggi? Living in the US, he was running from the threat of his own country. He graduated from Indiana State University in 1982. He lived in Washington, DC. He worked for a prominent US Newspaper. His children are US citizens and live here and go to school here. His children could be your children's friends. He had favorite restaurants and complained about traffic. He wanted to marry the woman he loved.

...then he was beset by an assassination squad, ordered by the head of a US ally, was tortured, dismembered and discarded, all while his fiance' was patiently waiting for him outside.

And the folks in this thread?

We don't care...

He wasn't one of us...

He's not our problem...

Whataboutisms...

What does it say about us if we can shrug our shoulders at the brutal murder of a member of our community simply because of a technicality? I support Trump on most things, but this is beyond the pale. We need him to stand up and take a stand and tell Saudi Arabia that assassinations of political enemies does not have a price tag. Countries around the world need to see that we will stand on our principles of justice, regardless of the cost.

Who cares about jobs? I don't want a job that was created on a blood-stained pedestal of elite cronyism. You can keep it.

My morals aren't for sale, and I expected more of my country.
Not our problem. He cause trouble where he knew the consequences. /shrug

Old 11-29-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
He was a resident of the US, living in the US, working for a US newspaper... His children go to college here. Let's not use semantics to ignore the brazen murder of this man in broad daylight.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Great post. To the bolded, a lot of people agree with you, from all sides of the political spectrum.

Unfortunately, Trump is more interested in preserving an arms deal than he is getting justice for a man that lived and worked in the US and had many friends here who was. And Donald doesn't seem to care what message that sends to other evil world leaders.

Also, taking action against the Saudis would put Trump at risk, because he has done real estate business with Saudi royalty in the tens of millions of dollars in the past. Who knows what damaging or embarrassing information they may have on him (to include actual evidence with paper trails of business dealings/money transfers/phone conversations, etc). Trump might not feel comfortable disciplining the Saudis for that reason.
Trump is only and always protecting Trump, he doesn't care about any one else.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:57 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I would really like to see the Republicans get back their sense of right and wrong... some honor, this is a step in the right direction. They have miles to go, but at least this could be the first step.
At least in this case, I hope you're right.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:09 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Not our problem. He cause trouble where he knew the consequences. /shrug
What you really mean is, he was critical of Trump. Therefore, he deserved to die.

Don't sugarcoat it, Dbones. We all know that's what you mean. If he had been a champion of Trump your opinion would be the complete opposite of this.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:14 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
What you really mean is, he was critical of Trump. Therefore, he deserved to die.

Don't sugarcoat it, Dbones. We all know that's what you mean. If he had been a champion of Trump your opinion would be the complete opposite of this.
Actually he didn't know the consequences at all, as Dbones says. He was going to fill out his marriage paperwork after he was assured by the Turkish consulate that he would be safe.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:55 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Actually he didn't know the consequences at all, as Dbones says. He was going to fill out his marriage paperwork after he was assured by the Turkish consulate that he would be safe.
Holy Christ people...He knew fully well what the consequences for being a detractor in SA are, that's why he fled. Read his damn story, he feared for his life after he was critical of the SA government. He wasn't at the Turkish Consulate, he was at the Saudi Consulate in Turkey two different places. He runs from SA knowing what he did is a death sentence then he goes to SA territory (SA Consulate in Turkey) ran and staffed by the very same SA government he was fleeing. Not very smart at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies