Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2018, 08:59 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,750,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Well you and others seem to feel that the US needs to do something about this. Easy for you top say, you aren't one of the ones that would be doing something about it.

Playing world cop is the US taking action on its own against another country for something that has nothing to do with us.

Think about blowback... How many countries hate us for interfering with their internal issues. How many hate us for not minding our own business, for meddling. Think about it....
You seem to feel that I want a war with Saudi I keep trying to get through to you that I want a president without a personal financial conflict of interest with countries that could cause us harm. Please read and read again if necessary.

By having a president without a personal conflict of financial interest with these countries, we can prevent the progression of events that could ultimately lead to a war!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 09:05 AM

16,876 posts, read 10,536,709 times
Quote:
No I think that my position is I dont like the USA playing world cop. I think Trump is a snake oil salesman and not even a good one.
That said this journalist isn't worth our nation making any more enemies over. The UN is there for a reason, let them do their job, let the world body decide what needs to be done.
The UN is useless. I’ve been against every US war sonce WWII (save maybe Gulf I), but if the US declared war on Saudi Arabia I’d sign up to assist the military tomorrow.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:07 AM

25,427 posts, read 9,744,565 times
Quote:
Which still doesn't explain why it is our job to do anything about this. I would argue that the Journalist own country needs to do something about it.
Because the journalist was working out of our country. But Trump is so deep in the Saudis pockets, he will only act when forced to act. It might upset his business interests with them, don't you know.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:19 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,062,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Because the journalist was working out of our country. But Trump is so deep in the Saudis pockets, he will only act when forced to act. It might upset his business interests with them, don't you know.
Trump doesn't want to see vacancy rates go up at the Trump International Hotel. Or decreased campaign contributions from defense contractors. Nothing to do with intelligence gathering, middle east peace, etc. Every decision Trump makes is based on what's good for his net wealth.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:20 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,850,256 times
Quote:
Which still doesn't explain why it is our job to do anything about this. I would argue that the Journalist own country needs to do something about it.
Common decency doesn't resonate with some, evidently.

Some of you all remind me of the pre-Pearl Harbor American isolationists. Peace at any price, as long as those dirty profits keep rolling in.

Check out what Teddy Roosevelt had to say about that.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Trump doesn't want to see vacancy rates go up at the Trump International Hotel. Or decreased campaign contributions from defense contractors. Nothing to do with intelligence gathering, middle east peace, etc. Every decision Trump makes is based on what's good for his net wealth.
And why this was allowed of Trump, for the life of me, I cannot understand!

Quote:
President Trump has done business with royals from Saudi Arabia for at least 20 years, since he sold the Plaza Hotel to a partnership formed by a Saudi prince. Mr. Trump has earned millions of dollars from the United Arab Emirates for putting his name on a golf course, with a second soon to open.
Quote:
Mr. Trump is the first president in 40 years to retain his personal business interests after entering the White House. Other senior officials in the executive branch are required to divest their assets. Critics say his singular decision to hold on to his global business empire inevitably casts a doubt on his motives, especially when his public actions dovetail with his business intereists.
Quote:
A spokesman for the White House declined to address questions about the appearance of a conflict of interest.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/17/w...legiances.html

Old 10-17-2018, 09:28 AM

2,280 posts, read 1,570,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

By having a president without a personal conflict of financial interest with these countries, we can prevent the progression of events that could ultimately lead to a war!
Obama had a personal conflict with Iran ($600M dropped) and Israel.

You really think we've had a recent President w/o a personal bias financially or religiously towards a country?

Some people really need to get a life and stop being influenced & dominated by the media or their political party.

FWIW, I am independent since Dems lost their minds and Repubs are always about business first.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
Obama had a personal conflict with Iran ($600M dropped) and Israel.

You really think we've had a recent President w/o a personal bias financially or religiously towards a country?

Some people really need to get a life and stop being influenced & dominated by the media or their political party.

FWIW, I am independent since Dems lost their minds and Repubs are always about business first.
You are confusing a personal conflict of financial interest with an international deal between countries.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:40 AM

15,498 posts, read 10,437,139 times
[quote=middle-aged mom;53388020]Khashoggi has been aligned with the old guard of the Royal Family, since forever.

He was highly critical of the new guard while living in SA and the US.

No shortage of ways to silence this journalist without it turning into an international incident.

It’s possible the old guard portion of the Royal Kingdom is responsible for the murder of the journalist knowing, the new guard would be held responsible and removed from power.

Whomever is responsible intended for this to be an international spectacle. Why?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they could have killed him anywhere. Why the international incident? Who gains from this?

Old 10-17-2018, 09:42 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,399,072 times
Lets face facts, the Saudis will never face consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies