Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 01:40 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
We need immigrants. Look at Japan if you want an idea of restrictive immigration policies and deflation

No one has said we don't need "any" immigrants we just don't need them in unlimited numbers. Our immigration quotas and policies are restricted to those we need who will be a benefit not a burden to our society while keeping in mind population growth and our ability to provide them with jobs and resources without it negatively impacting our own citizens. So just what's wrong with that sane policy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 01:57 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No one has said we don't need "any" immigrants we just don't need them in unlimited numbers. Our immigration quotas and policies are restricted to those we need who will be a benefit not a burden to our society while keeping in mind population growth and our ability to provide them with jobs and resources without it negatively impacting our own citizens. So just what's wrong with that sane policy?
Not quite, buddy. Given that immigrants are a net positive for economic growth (and yes, that includes undocumented ones - they often pay into Social Security but can't use it, and they also generate a lot of funds in sales taxes as well), it's usually a fig leaf to stoke culture wars and ethnic/racial resentment.

And thanks to folks like you (and I know where your views on Latinos are - given your habitual meltdowns about Spanish being spoken in public) - California has gone way Democratic since 1994.

Muchos gracias, Pete Wilson.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:12 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,402,326 times
I find the idea of a significant number of Latino’s supporting Donald Trump pretty absurd.

The same group he wants to build a wall to keep out so the electorate doesn’t shift? The same group he and his administration treat like trash by separating parents from their caged children? The same group Trump readily employs to construct his properties to save costs then demonizes those same illegal immigrants to gain praise from his radical base? Yeah okay.

This seems incredibly hard to believe. Sure there are some ill-informed Latino’s who will turn a blind eye to all of this just as there are sprinkles of Blacks who do the same, but I refuse to believe a plurality of Latino’s are that stupid. Seriously, like stoopid, stupid if so.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:21 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDeKalb View Post
I find the idea of a significant number of Latino’s supporting Trump pretty absurd.

The same group he wants to build a wall to keep out so the electorate doesn’t shift? The same group he and his administration treat like trash by separating parents from their caged children? The same group Trump readily employs to construct his properties to save costs then demonizes those same illegal immigrants to gain praise from his radical base? Yeah okay.

This seems incredibly hard to believe. Sure there are some ill-informed Latino’s who will turn a blind eye to all of this just as there are sprinkles of Blacks who do the same, but I refuse to believe a plurality of Latino’s are that stupid. Seriously, like stoopid, stupid if so.

Why wouldn't American Latinos support border security? After all this is their country also. Are you saying that they don't our shouldn't care about a wall to keep out illegal aliens just because they are of the same ethnic group as they are? What kind of Americans are they then? Isn't that what is stupid?

These kids were not caged! The parents were forewarned not to cross our border illegally with their kids or they'd be jailed and we don't jail kids with their parents. There is no proof that Trump knowingly had any illegals working for him. Rich business owners do not employ manual laborers themselves. You're just spreading more leftist lies.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:22 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
I dislike broad sweeping categorizations. You're Hispanic, therefore you should be a Democrat is just a stupid argument. I believe that everyone should ask themselves, "What have they done for me? What have they done to make my life better? What have they done to earn my vote?" I don't think voting as a block is ever a good idea. Anytime any group consistently votes the same way, the less either party has to actually give a crap about them.

I'll be curious to see how Trump does with Hispanics and blacks in 2020. He doesn't have to win the majority of them. He just has to get over 40% of the Hispanic vote in order to offset their tendency to vote Democrat. The bar for Republican success among blacks has been set very low for a very long time. Getting 10% is considered awesome and 20% as an impossible goal.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:35 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,402,326 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't American Latinos support border security? After all this is their country also. Are you saying that they don't our shouldn't care about a wall to keep out illegal aliens just because they are of the same ethnic group as they are? What kind of Americans are they then? Isn't that what is stupid?

These kids were not caged! The parents were forewarned not to cross our border illegally with their kids or they'd be jailed and we don't jail kids with their parents. There is no proof that Trump knowingly had any illegals working for him. Rich business owners do not employ manual laborers themselves. You're just spreading more leftist lies.
No I’m not lying at all. And you conveniently omitted the core purpose and urgency that I pointed out of such a wall - TO KEEP THE ELECTORATE FROM SHIFTING. That is the hot pink tyrannosaurus in the room.

That coupled with the fact that Trump clearly doesn’t care for ‘brown people.’ Is that also a lie? You think he’d toss rolls of Bounty to displaced Norwegians?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.apn...e1c1a77a3cc425

Old 10-14-2018, 02:52 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Nothing. Of course nothing is sane about trump cutting legal immigration by half either

Old 10-14-2018, 02:55 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDeKalb View Post
I find the idea of a significant number of Latino’s supporting Donald Trump pretty absurd.
As absurd as trump claiming democrats inflated the death count in Puerto Rico. I don't know a single Puerto Rican in FL who isn't voting dem down the ticket. Big reason is Trump. It got so bad that desantis and Rick Scott campaigns in FL had to distance themselves from that idiotic trump claim

Old 10-14-2018, 03:07 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
As absurd as trump claiming democrats inflated the death count in Puerto Rico.
They literally just made that number up and are using it to make political claims. It's easy to make up statistics like that.

70 some odd people died in the storm.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:20 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
The pull to support and advocate for "your people", clearly outweighs the concept of nationalism.

I believe that is one of the reasons Hispanics do not support Trump at a higher percentage. It may shift around some, but I think most(not all) Hispanics view not letting-in as many Hispanic "refugees" as possible a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies