Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 06:33 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
As absurd as trump claiming democrats inflated the death count in Puerto Rico. I don't know a single Puerto Rican in FL who isn't voting dem down the ticket. Big reason is Trump. It got so bad that desantis and Rick Scott campaigns in FL had to distance themselves from that idiotic trump claim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
They literally just made that number up and are using it to make political claims. It's easy to make up statistics like that.

70 some odd people died in the storm.
Using people's suffering and death as a political football ...

112 Degrees With No Water: Puerto Rican Hospitals Battle Life And Death Daily

"The government calls them "indirect deaths" – those who died after the violent storm: heart attack victims, people on kidney dialysis machines that failed, people who fell off roofs inspecting storm damage, and people killed in auto accidents on highways made more treacherous from Maria's destruction.

"So far after the storm we have had 49 dead bodies," says Rodriguez. Earlier this week, the governor of Puerto Rico raised the official fatality figure for Hurricane Maria from 16 people to 34. But with unofficial reports like the one from Arecibo, that number is expected to rise."
________
So when the power went out in hospitals, people still believe only 70 some odd people died as a result of the hurricane that hit Puerto Rican? They are being just as delusional as their leader. Hurricane Florence, and hurricane Michael, there are death tolls but since they are not being used as a political football, the indirect fatalities, the death toll does not stop in the teens.

When people do not account for reality, yeah, stats can mean anything you want them to mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 06:42 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
It's pretty sad when they look at their options. Being shot on the streets in their home country, or internment camps in the u.s. and they choose the interment camps.

I always thought they have to be some really desperate people to want to migrate into the u.s, in years past. Today, I know they are ...

America is not the best nor is it the brightest ... it is an option greater than death, that's all.
Is Mexico really that bad?

Why dont these “refugees” just stay in Mexico? It is closer to their home countries in Central America, they speak the same language, more similar in culture, etc.

Remember, that economics will not get you “refugee” status. We really should be basing our decisions on the country they are entering through, not the ones they originally came from. If they are already in a country where their lives are not in danger, there is no reason for them to move again.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yes, it's self-serving and arrogant. How are Hispanic citizens fearing deportation? Citizens can't be deported and only citizens can lawfully vote.
Yes, citizens can and are being deported ...

In America, Naturalized Citizens No Longer Have an Assumption of Permanence
" ... it builds on the legacy of the Obama Administration, which set in motion the process of reëxamining old naturalization files. L. Francis Cissna, the director of U.S.C.I.S., told the Associated Press that his agency is looking for people who “should not have been naturalized in the first place”—for example, those who had been ordered to be deported earlier and obtained citizenship under a different name—and this sounds reasonable enough. It’s the apparent underlying premise that makes this new effort so troublesome: the idea that America is under attack by malevolent immigrants who cause dangerous harm by finding ways to live here."

Deporting US Citizens: Trump’s New Fascistic Use of Law
" ... Latinx citizens residing near the southern border have been denied passports, prevented from re-entering the country without warning, detained in immigration camps and scheduled for deportation proceedings."
________
And some of those who pay taxes will be moving to Canada ... as Canada implemented (Global Skills Strategy) a new program, that rather then wait months to be approved, the process taking only two weeks.

H-1B: As immigration furor roils Silicon Valley, Canada smooths way for techies

Those who support the raising of all billy cane with these immigration policies that do not reflect our laws, when the dust settles economically, there will be countries who will be making out fine and I doubt the u.s. will be among them.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 10-15-2018 at 07:06 AM..

Old 10-15-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post

Why dont these “refugees” just stay in Mexico? It is closer to their home countries in Central America, they speak the same language, more similar in culture, etc.

Remember, that economics will not get you “refugee” status. We really should be basing our decisions on the country they are entering through, not the ones they originally came from. If they are already in a country where their lives are not in danger, there is no reason for them to move again.
Quote:
I would not vacation there ...

Old 10-15-2018, 07:26 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Yet, many Americans do and they are fine.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Yet, many Americans do and they are fine.
Tell that to the POTUS ...
Speaking of laws and refugees, got something for you ...
US ‘zero-tolerance’ immigration policy still violating fundamental human rights laws

"These treaties also prohibit countries from punishing refugees for entering illegally if their life or freedom was threatened at home. Despite the fact that our Constitution makes the rules in these treaties binding U.S. law, the Trump administration is treating asylum-seekers like criminals. When the U.S. government prosecutes or imprisons these asylum-seekers, it violates the rights protected in the two treaties that recognize the human right to seek asylum."
Quote:

Remember, that economics will not get you “refugee” status. We really should be basing our decisions on the country they are entering through, not the ones they originally came from.
These decisions really should be based on laws, not some half baked policy of a POTUS, but that which has precedence, gone through congress, and that which is constitutionally correct to carry out. What we have here, effects all of America, not just the migrants who, by the way, are people too.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:19 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I'd say it's pretty sane until we get a handle on illegal immigration. IMO, 1 million a year is too much right now anyway. Ideally, our population growth should have leveled off under 300 million. It's draining our social and natural resources dry and far too many immigrants are on the public dole.
Lots of citizens too....esp in red states. Biggest welfare populations there per capita

Old 10-15-2018, 10:21 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
L.A. Times Amazed to Find Latinos Who Support Trump

Los Angeles Times columnist Robin Abcarian visited the Donald Trump rally in Fresno last Friday, and reported that she found Latinos who actually support the Republican candidate.
Who were these people, exactly, who could vote for a man who has called Mexicans rapists and murderers, who insulted the Republican Latina governor of New Mexico, who tweeted “I love Hispanics” as he ate a taco bowl at his desk on Cinco de Mayo?
It turns out that many of them are American citizens or legal immigrants who care about the country’s borders, and share the same views as fellow conservatives Republicans on a variety of issues.
His rhetoric about Mexicans doesn’t bother you, I asked?
“It’s about illegal aliens!” Jennings said. “Mom and I can’t go to Canada and just squat and get benefits. We couldn’t go to Mexico either without the proper paperwork. They’d put us in jail!”

https://www.breitbart.com/california...support-trump/

I might add that the story about Trump calling Mexicans rapist and murders was taken out of context. Read what he said after that comment, he said but their are a lot good Latino people. But whether you agree or not the fact is there were/are Mexican rapist and murders.

A recent poll said Latino support for Trump is about 40%. If true..... democrats are in trouble in places with a high Latino population.

"L.A. Times Amazed to Find Latinos Who Support Trump"

Being as liberal biased as thy are it is surprising.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:42 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Lots of citizens too....esp in red states. Biggest welfare populations there per capita

So what? They are citizens in need and what does where they live have to do with anything? Calif. is a blue state and they have more citizens on welfare than any other state including illegal aliens. You have a lot of nerve complaining about needy citizens on welfare to illegal aliens who don't even have a right to be in this country.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:53 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
What do you mean they werent caged? Even i saw pictures of them in fenced in areas, same thing! All you do is lie man.

Good point.

How do you know? Were you there?

The pictures of kids caged were from the Obama era. Links provided many times. I see you wouldn't address the remarks I made about your vested interest in illegal immigration. Too intimidating?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies