Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 03:07 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,140,268 times

Advertisements

This would have been a better post if you clarified what you really hoped for with meeting your senator.

I haven't met mine. But I'm not expecting to have him come knocking at my door. If it were important to me, I could - as could anyone - go to events where he'll be, work as a volunteer, etc.

However, I totally, totally agree that in my experience ALL elected officials, even at the state level, brush off citizens in a way that justifies any fury on our part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 03:42 PM

45,356 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Make up your minds kids. You complain that elected officials are "disconnected" from regular people and then complain if they attend local events and mix with people.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:03 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
This would have been a better post if you clarified what you really hoped for with meeting your senator.

I haven't met mine. But I'm not expecting to have him come knocking at my door. If it were important to me, I could - as could anyone - go to events where he'll be, work as a volunteer, etc.

However, I totally, totally agree that in my experience ALL elected officials, even at the state level, brush off citizens in a way that justifies any fury on our part.

I thought that I made it clearer in my second post on the topic:

That’s what I’m talking about. If you’re a No Dakotan and Sen Heitkamp helped you resolve something that was important to you, would you overlook her NO vote on Kavanaugh if you are conservative and Still vote for her? I think that a small state Senator has an opportunity to “touch” more voters in that way. in a small state, their standards might be tougher because they get so much attention from either political party?

Using the same Senator as an example: If you were a Repub voter, but you gave credit to Sen Heitkamp for bringing economic or infrastructure progress to your town, would you be more inclined to vote for her despite her vote on Kavanaugh?

Old 10-14-2018, 06:06 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
I try not to associate with criminals.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:13 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
I've met Lindsey Graham before and had a conversation with Mark Sandford about the weather while he was governor and a conversation with Henry McMaster (current governor, but AG at the time) about of all things his peanut eating habits. Oh, I also met John McCain in 2008 and had a conversation with him and a co-worker about the Arizona Diamondbacks and "24." I enjoy meeting famous and sometimes infamous people and talking to them about things not connected to why they are famous or infamous. I found them all to be pretty likeable at the time, but my recollection on Lindsey is pretty vague to be honest.

I met former SC governor Jim Hodges a few years ago and got to tell him that I was one of the kids he would call the police on. He is from my hometown and lived near me, but I had never met him being in high school and just out of his school. There was a public park near his house than me and some friends would go to after dark and more times than not if he was in town, he would call the police. We mainly wanted some place to sit and talk. Not sure why we always went there. But me and the former governor had a chuckle over that after he left office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies