Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 09:48 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
LOL, that's nice but it's not happening fast enough to get Trump out of office.
Get real, Americans are sending this out of control maniac packing in 2020.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:54 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Get real, Americans are sending this out of control maniac packing in 2020.
I truly don’t think that’s going to happen. (I despise the man) Democrat’s don’t have a good candidate, they keep feeding the Trump frenzy and they just don’t get it. Trump is a horrible human being, but the government is going in the direction conservatives want. Look at the Supreme Court, immigration they are “winning”

Old 10-15-2018, 09:55 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
LOL people kept saying Georgia would vote for Hillary. Too bad it wasn't even close.
I don't know anyone who thought Georgia would go blue in 2016. But Trump only won the state by 5.1%, down from Romney's 7.8% win, so not overwhelming by any measure.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:20 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times
The five states referenced have all had their own political trajectory in recent years, and if they are moving from red to blue, there have been a lot of bumps on the way.

*North Carolina - not really as it is still a light red state. Democrats can win there some of the time in state races, but currently they have an overwhelmingly Republican legislature and Congressional delegation, plus two Republican senators. The more urban counties like Mecklenburg and Wake have certainly trended blue, but many rural counties have gone in the opposite direction.

*Colorado - it does seem to be turning light blue the majority of the time, but still has one Republican senator. The state remains competitive and a more forward looking Republican who talks more about technology and less about social wedge issues would likely have better prospects than Trump.

*New Mexico - the state is moderately blue but hasn't really been red for a long time. The odds are probably in favor of getting a Democratic governor this year and keeping their two Democratic senators.

*Virginia - Republicans have been losing virtually all elections by small margins for the last several years. The message of "drain the swamp" may not be well received by the large number of residents working for the federal government or associated organizations. Regionally, the state is still pretty red outside the large metropolitan areas, but the growth is concentrated in the blue counties and cities. I think this is the state that supports the "red to blue" thesis the best.

*Arizona - maybe this will change in November, but the state hasn't voted for any Democrat to a major office for years. There is certainly the potential to turn blue with the influx of young, diverse in-migrants from California but many conservative retirees from the north are also flocking to the state. Until the state actually supports a Democrat, like Sinema for Senate, it is premature to include the state on this list.

After Trump carried the states by large margins, it's worth noting that states like Ohio and Iowa may not be good prospects for Democrats to win again in the future despite their past success. Missouri's days as a national bellwether are over as it has become solidly red, and while Minnesota hasn't chosen a Republican for president since 1972, it's likely just a matter of time until that changes. In fact, there is a possible future where Illinois is the only blue state between the Rockies and Atlantic Coast. Political realignments go in both directions so those focusing on only the states moving in their favor are missing part of the picture.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:26 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I truly don’t think that’s going to happen. (I despise the man) Democrat’s don’t have a good candidate, they keep feeding the Trump frenzy and they just don’t get it. Trump is a horrible human being, but the government is going in the direction conservatives want. Look at the Supreme Court, immigration they are “winning”
I think your assessment is accurate. Americans will tolerate a lot from a reckless, unlikeable president if they perceive the country is safe and their financial situation is good enough.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Plenty of D candidates can beat Trump.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:36 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
The five states referenced have all had their own political trajectory in recent years, and if they are moving from red to blue, there have been a lot of bumps on the way.

*North Carolina - not really as it is still a light red state. Democrats can win there some of the time in state races, but currently they have an overwhelmingly Republican legislature and Congressional delegation, plus two Republican senators. The more urban counties like Mecklenburg and Wake have certainly trended blue, but many rural counties have gone in the opposite direction.

*Colorado - it does seem to be turning light blue the majority of the time, but still has one Republican senator. The state remains competitive and a more forward looking Republican who talks more about technology and less about social wedge issues would likely have better prospects than Trump.

*New Mexico - the state is moderately blue but hasn't really been red for a long time. The odds are probably in favor of getting a Democratic governor this year and keeping their two Democratic senators.

*Virginia - Republicans have been losing virtually all elections by small margins for the last several years. The message of "drain the swamp" may not be well received by the large number of residents working for the federal government or associated organizations. Regionally, the state is still pretty red outside the large metropolitan areas, but the growth is concentrated in the blue counties and cities. I think this is the state that supports the "red to blue" thesis the best.

*Arizona - maybe this will change in November, but the state hasn't voted for any Democrat to a major office for years. There is certainly the potential to turn blue with the influx of young, diverse in-migrants from California but many conservative retirees from the north are also flocking to the state. Until the state actually supports a Democrat, like Sinema for Senate, it is premature to include the state on this list.

After Trump carried the states by large margins, it's worth noting that states like Ohio and Iowa may not be good prospects for Democrats to win again in the future despite their past success. Missouri's days as a national bellwether are over as it has become solidly red, and while Minnesota hasn't chosen a Republican for president since 1972, it's likely just a matter of time until that changes. In fact, there is a possible future where Illinois is the only blue state between the Rockies and Atlantic Coast. Political realignments go in both directions so those focusing on only the states moving in their favor are missing part of the picture.
I appreciate this detailed response. And I agree with you that if you're only looking at states moving in one direction and not the other you're missing the bigger picture. A number of posters in this thread have named states going the opposite direction of my OP.

Which is great, because I didn't want this thread to turn into left versus right. I was interested in having a discussion about the shifting trends across the country.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:40 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
If there's anything we can all rely on being as solid and true as a hot summer day is long, it's that damned old Blue Wall. That impenetrable, unbreakable statue of Democrat power and control, something we'll never have to worry about failing, faltering or even flexing.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
If there's anything we can all rely on being as solid and true as a hot summer day is long, it's that damned old Blue Wall. That impenetrable, unbreakable statue of Democrat power and control, something we'll never have to worry about failing, faltering or even flexing.
haha, if anything there's a red wall.

The EC has given 2 Rs the presidency despite losing the popular vote this century.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:01 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Wishful thinking.
Yes, that is exactly it...

The only one that comes close to being blue is NM.

They have a dem state house, dem state senate and two dem senators.

But the gov is Rep, and so is one of the three House members.

CO comes close too, but all the rest are mostly rep.

AZ has a rep governor, state house, state senate, 6 of 9 house districts and both senators.

NC has a dem governor and that's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies