Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2018, 06:02 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Where do you think Social Security and Medicare come from
From robbing other people’s honest labor. Next question please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 06:06 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I didn't want to drift the thread, so here goes.

In the nature of full disclosure I am politically a liberal Democrat. But I must admit to some sympathy with views attributed to "Republicans" or "conservatives" on this issue. When I go into White Plains or New York City to work, I am getting ready to spend a grueling day performing labor and services for others. And I expect to get paid for those. When I see people in their late teens or early 20's on the nearby corner of White Plains Post Road and Chester Avenue shooting hoops all day, and women who appear to be doing nothing with gaggles of babies, I wonder where my taxes are going. And the frequent sight of police cars called to those scenes doesn't help.

While I am a third-generation Democrat, and my family has supported the typical liberal causes, I will admit to being offended by what my eyes, ears and nose tell me. Something is badly amiss. Now I know there is corporate welfare and corruption. But "two wrongs don't make a right."

There are reasons that populists, including Trump and now a right-winger in Brazil have appeal.

" Why Many "Conservatives" or Republicans Often Oppose Welfare"

While I agree with your post I DO take your title as a personal attack and resent it.

We do NOT oppose welfare PERIOD.

We DO OPPOSE the waste fraud and abuse of it.

I worked in gov't housing projects and other "slum" areas and can tells LOTS of stories about those 3.

Welfare was and is NOT intended to be "life style"

It was and is NOT intended to be for LIFE.

It is SUPPOSED to be TEMPORARY relief until you get yourself back on your feet.

Today we have GENERATIONS of families "earning a living" ONLY through welfare.

It should NOT be that way.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I don't oppose a safety net, nor temporary welfare benefits. Also, there are many charitable organizations that help people. We don't need long term government solutions to the poor, and homeless that create GENERATIONAL DEPENDENCY. However, government loves dependency as it allows CONTROL, more bureaucracy, and bigger government payrolls.

"If you rob Peter to pay Paul AND David, Paul AND David will vote for you EVERY TIME!"

Old 10-15-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Fairness is a conservative notion. Seeing people who appear to be partying like you might without having to work or pay for it.

Empathy is liberal. Seeing people who look to be disadvantaged through no fault of their own. And without the means to party or pay like you can.

No doubt others can improve on or even refute these statements.
"Fairness is a conservative notion."

Yet we CONSTANTLY hear form the liberals about paying your "fair share" when it comes to taxes.

Lib don't support it out of empathy, they WANT THE VOTES.

It's not "FAIR" for whites who score higher on tests to get hired or excepted intoaschools over others who score LOWER, it isn't "fair".

We hear "FAIR" being thrown around a hell of a lot MORE by libs then we do from cons.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
Put them to work. Unless they are disabled and that is a totally different situation, all able bodied
People can do some type of work. Why are we paying people to cut grass when we are paying people to sit on ass. Some manuel labor might cause some to find easier work, or learn a trade or go back to school
And get a trade. Offer child care by certification of those who are on assistance to become care givers. Start their own business.

"Put them to work"

It's been tried and the union gov't workers complained. "That is MY JOB" and trh dems folded on the idea.

There is ALREADY something 46 FEDERAL JOB TRAINING PROGRAMS today. Thee is NO REASON why those on welfare CANNOT be forced to enroll in them.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:48 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Put them to work"

It's been tried and the union gov't workers complained. "That is MY JOB" and trh dems folded on the idea.

There is ALREADY something 46 FEDERAL JOB TRAINING PROGRAMS today. Thee is NO REASON why those on welfare CANNOT be forced to enroll in them.
I would have to search for the testimony and have not the time today.

But the late, great Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan once said it was easier to just leave a certain strata of people on welfare rather than try to wean them off via job training or other methods.

I guess he was saying there are those who really cannot cut it no matter what and the humane thing to do is give them a pittance to live on and be done with it.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:15 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,449,665 times
Quote:
"Put them to work"

Yes tie work or school requirements to assistance and watch the rolls thin.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:17 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,449,665 times
Quote:
"Put them to work"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I would have to search for the testimony and have not the time today.

But the late, great Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan once said it was easier to just leave a certain strata of people on welfare rather than try to wean them off via job training or other methods.

I guess he was saying there are those who really cannot cut it no matter what and the humane thing to do is give them a pittance to live on and be done with it.
What a pathetic view of people that guy had. Disabled physically and mentally are regularly placed in jobs. Heck there is a business here in indy for the blind. If there is a need there is a way.

I bet they were able bodied enough to find their way to vote D

Old 10-15-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
With SS and Medicare there are losers and there are winners/gainers. Most Medicare beneficiaries are net gainers by about 1/3-1/2 in benefits taken vs dollars put in.
By losers, you mean slaves.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Nah. Most is due to national defense, Medicare and SS.
What are the percentages
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies