Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2018, 02:47 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,008,929 times

Advertisements

the only option I see is to pay 30% of your income for free health care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 03:57 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I suggest you do some research on tax rates in Canada. 80 percent LOL. Wrong. Not even close.
Keep begging for the govt to take your money. Go for it. See how it works out for you. Or move to Canada. See how long you have to wait to see a doctor.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:04 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Right. So you paid 80% of your paycheck to get that .30 aspirin. You have no idea how much anything costs. Because you are never told anything.

I don't think YOU understand how it works. The hospital will charge the govt, and the govt will tax YOU. And it will tax you as much as you want.

Singer payer is people BEGGING AND PLEADING: RAISE MY TAXES!!!! I WANT TO PAY MOOOOORREEE!!! TAKE ALL MY MONEY!!!!!!!!
You are misinformed...Taxes in Canada on the average are now lower than US taxes, and families with children are paying much, much less than Americans.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/0...cd_a_23426460/

Old 10-15-2018, 04:08 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,028,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I disagree. It will exist, and probably within the next decade or so. Americans are tired of being the only first world nation on Earth who does not protect it's citizens in this way. It's coming.

As to what form it takes, I'm guessing a Medicare for all type of approach, since the infrastructure is already there and it works.

And the private insurance will still be available for anyone who opts to go that route.

How are we going to get everyone to pay? I already pay enough taxes and my insurance is provided by work. SO I am going to have my insurance stripped and forced to pay more for worse coverage. This is not going to fly with those of us that earn benefits.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:08 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,483,261 times
Here, let me help with that:

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/0...cd_a_23426460/

Old 10-15-2018, 04:11 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,028,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
My wife had four hundred thousand dollars of medicatl bills paid by insurance. No problems.

Stop lying.

My dad had a stroke Medicare coverage sucked for rehab. BCBS was much better coverage when wife had a stroke.

Insurance company can no more provide inadequate service than any other business

I had surgery and the itemized bill came to like 270k but while I was in the hospital I was talking with the nurse and she said basically the hospital charges a flat rate to insurance even if you're there for 4 days or 30 days.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:14 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Keep begging for the govt to take your money. Go for it. See how it works out for you. Or move to Canada. See how long you have to wait to see a doctor.
My doctor is just a phone call away...If I had a problem I can see him today...If he is not available there are more than 25 walk in clinics staffed by doctors nearby.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:16 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,008,929 times
single-payer is cost-prohibitive. Even the most dyed-in-the-wool leftists admit as much, after they take office and have to figure out how to pay for their campaign promises.

Last month in North Carolina, Democratic State Representative Verla Insko moved to kill her own pro-single-payer bill. An assessment from the state legislature's Fiscal Research Division pegged the cost of single-payer at $70 billion, $42 billion of which would have to come from the state. That latter figure is almost twice the state budget.

Last year, California State Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon, a Democrat, pulled the plug on single-payer legislation passed by the state Senate after deeming it "woefully incomplete." Even that was an understatement -- the bill was silent on how it would raise the $400 billion needed to fund single-payer each year.

In 2014 in Vermont, then-Gov. Peter Shumlin -- a long-time single-payer advocate -- gave up on a single-payer plan after he learned it would cost $4.3 billion annually. That amount was equivalent to 88 percent of the entire state budget. He reluctantly concluded that the proposed funding mechanism for single-payer -- a 12.5 percent state payroll tax and a sliding-scale individual tax of up to 9.5 percent of income "might hurt our economy."

Keep dreaming, single payer is going nowhere.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:19 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,483,261 times
Quote:
Oh really:

Wait Times: The Hidden Costs — Physician Executive Leadership

https://www.verywellhealth.com/why-i...sician-2615101

I wouldn't be in a hurry to find one down there because there are these drawbacks to consider.

Wait Times: The Hidden Costs — Physician Executive Leadership

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...-bills/530679/

Keep your clusterfugged system and the rest of of the world will keep theirs but stop pretending yours is better with these stupid memes you've been sold by your bought off reps. and big pharma ....it's not....and it's getting worse.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:37 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
You have the option to stand in long lines and wait and ultimately to be denied services that you would be able to get if the services were available for purchase.
You just explained my experience with stage IV cancer with good private insurance in the US. The only difference is the services were available for purchase, but at several hundred thousand of dollars most people can't imagine paying out of pocket on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies