Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 02:36 PM

7,511 posts, read 11,298,845 times

Advertisements

If the U.S did adopt a single payer system what type of health care options will people have? Will people be limited in any way with certain things or services?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 02:40 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,524,496 times
Hard to say. We would have to pass it to know what's in it. That much is clear.

It will be like Christmas and no one should know what they are getting, The Dems will see to it.

The present that will make you sick when you find out what it is.

A six month waiting list will make you really appreciate it when its your turn.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:42 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,447,581 times
You have the option to stand in long lines and wait and ultimately to be denied services that you would be able to get if the services were available for purchase.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:44 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,652,233 times
Obviously, every plan is different and asking what would be in it is just trolling. What do YOU think should covered?

Old 10-14-2018, 02:58 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,898,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
If the U.S did adopt a single payer system what type of health care options will people have? Will people be limited in any way with certain things or services?
Just like in every other developed country, there would by for-profit health care services available as well as Medicare if you want to pay out of pocket for the for-profit service instead of being treated by Medicare.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:00 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,826,890 times
It is impossible to say what would be offered.

In Australia, there are both Public and Private hospitals for instance. Some doctors accept Medicare (the tax payer funded health insurance everybody has), some do not. Others accept it but still require an additional payment.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:19 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,452,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
You are asking people to speculate about something that does not and likely will not exist.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:27 PM

18,986 posts, read 8,993,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
You are asking people to speculate about something that does not and likely will not exist.
I disagree. It will exist, and probably within the next decade or so. Americans are tired of being the only first world nation on Earth who does not protect it's citizens in this way. It's coming.

As to what form it takes, I'm guessing a Medicare for all type of approach, since the infrastructure is already there and it works.

And the private insurance will still be available for anyone who opts to go that route.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:17 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,689,741 times
When I left Washington (back during the Obama administration), the phrase du jour was "Medicare-like." Everyone was in search of a program that would mimic Medicare for everyone.

As long as Trump remains president, I think the whole thing is on hold. When his presidency ends, my guess it will pick up where they left off - trying to figure out how to fund a Medicare program for everyone.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:23 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,792,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
When I left Washington (back during the Obama administration), the phrase du jour was "Medicare-like." Everyone was in search of a program that would mimic Medicare for everyone.

As long as Trump remains president, I think the whole thing is on hold. When his presidency ends, my guess it will pick up where they left off - trying to figure out how to fund a Medicare program for everyone.
Trump is no idealogue on health care. He will sign anything labeled trumpcare

At some point we will get single payer and the working class will have more of the nations health care costs to bear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies