Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is private property open for all to use, at will?
Yes 2 1.74%
No 113 98.26%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 07:18 AM

88,677 posts, read 44,444,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Answer the question, please.

Were you aware the public had access to your private property before you purchased it?
No. There is no recorded public use easement on the recorded property record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Evidently NC does though, which is where you are from. What the rest of the states do or do not do doesn't really matter.
It does when it gets to SCOTUS. Keep an eye on Knick v. Township of Scott.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:20 AM

5,214 posts, read 2,979,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It does when it gets to SCOTUS. Keep an eye on Knick v. Township of Scott.
Well it hasn't yet.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:21 AM

5,034 posts, read 2,242,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
FWIW, Norway and Sweden have full Right to Roam - you can hike and camp (for one night) on uncultivated land anywhere. Hefty fines for campfires in summer or leaving trash behind, as it should be.
Oh, hell no. What is "uncultivated" to someone else is my carefully stewarded forest. I'm the one paying property tax on it, and despite the fact that it looks wild, we select harvest some trees and control for pests.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Oh, hell no. What is "uncultivated" to someone else is my carefully stewarded forest. I'm the one paying property tax on it, and despite the fact that it looks wild, we select harvest some trees and control for pests.
The bold is much of the point, which is excellent, by the way. If you want to use my private property for your own use, YOU pay the property tax on it.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Well it hasn't yet.
Keep watching. Heard at SCOTUS this October.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:35 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,657,233 times
Quote:
I dont know anything about any laws with it, I'm talking about why states do allow it.
????

"states" allow or disallow by laws.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:36 AM

35,508 posts, read 17,765,818 times
So I found this about an Emerald Isle lawsuit. Maybe this has been posted earlier in the thread, sorry, I didn't read through it all.

The solution seems remarkably simple. Don't allow private owners to own beach property, from the dune area to the mean water mark. State take imminent domain of the property, and then the current owners won't have to maintain it or pay taxes on it.

Done.

Personally, I really can't stand the thought of huge swaths of beach front property sucked up by private owners. Jacksonville Florida has the worst beach laws I've seen - miles and miles of beautiful beach all privately owned. In one area, there's a tiny amount of public beach but there's no parking. So while technically it's public, there's no way to get there.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/po...e98185582.html

Old 10-17-2018, 07:39 AM

5,787 posts, read 3,573,939 times
My property's for my use ONLY to the extent that I don't renege on my duties to society (pay my fair share for police and military protection, a justice system, government-built infrastructure, flood protection [BIG, BIG deal in the location of my property, believe me]). And that's just when I use property in ordinary ways (read: I never use it in extraordinary ways). It would be a rightful denial of my use of my property if I used it for toxic or nuclear waste, hosted a prostitution house on it, or blasted music at 100 decibels from it.

What if someone used their property to house illegal immigrants? Wouldn't it violate their property owner's rights if the police raided their place? If you think nobody should use their property to house or support illegal immigrants, then you admit some things ARE more important than an individual's property rights.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So I found this about an Emerald Isle lawsuit. Maybe this has been posted earlier in the thread, sorry, I didn't read through it all.

The solution seems remarkably simple. Don't allow private owners to own beach property, from the dune area to the mean water mark. State take imminent domain of the property, and then the current owners won't have to maintain it or pay taxes on it.
I agree. That is the solution. But think about what you're saying. The state would have to pay just compensation as required by the 5th Amendment to take all that privately owned property. Easily in the billions if not trillions of dollars. How does that get funded?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies