Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 10:23 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
All you have to figure out is this: Harvard University is using racial quotas that shut out high-scoring Asians. Is that racist?

Affirmative Action has always met the definition of racism (preferential treatment based upon race). But academia believes that while most racism is evil; their racism is good because it is trying to correct the evil racism that preceded it. If this gets to the Supreme Court there is a good chance that Affirmative Action is gone. The court may think ALL racism is evil....period.

From your keyboard to the Supreme Court's ears . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 10:25 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times
Quote:
All you have to figure out is this: Harvard University is using racial quotas that shut out high-scoring Asians. Is that racist?

Affirmative Action has always met the definition of racism (preferential treatment based upon race). But academia believes that while most racism is evil; their racism is good because it is trying to correct the evil racism that preceded it. If this gets to the Supreme Court there is a good chance that Affirmative Action is gone. The court may think ALL racism is evil....period.
hope so...……..didn't someone say they wished for a day when you were judged by the content of your character and not the color of your skin?

Old 10-17-2018, 04:46 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
There are misconceptions about affirmative action.

White women benefit the most from affirmative action, not minorities

It is not only based on race.

Though the executive order President John F. Kennedy initially signed in 1961 made it unlawful to discriminate based on “race, creed, color, or national origin” for government contractors, in 1967 President Lyndon B. Johnson extended the policy to all employees nationwide and included sex and religion as well.

For more than five decades, affirmative action has sought to eliminate unlawful discrimination for all marginalized people.

A diverse population on campus helps all students gain a greater awareness of social issues, promotes a higher level of academic engagement and leads to an overall better college experience, as noted by the University of Arizona.Emily Choi, an Asian American student at Harvard, told the Times that the policy has made a positive impact on her experience at the Ivy League institution.

“I firmly believe in affirmative action,” she said. “The diversity at Harvard has been key to my learning, and I think that if there weren’t so many people of different backgrounds, I wouldn’t be forced to think about things in new ways.”

Opponents fail to realize that minorities, especially people of color, still face institutional disadvantages when it comes to being admitted to certain schools. And though race isn’t the only identifying factor in admission processes, people of color are often accused of being unqualified for high-performing school and taking white students’ places (even though Ivy League schools admit more legacy students than black students).

And though the candidates can gain access to education opportunities, affirmative action isn’t about a “quota,” preferential treatment or a free ride. Race, ethnicity, religion and sex are used in a holistic approach to consider what candidates would be a good fit for the school.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0353fbb33e1bb

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.cd7a66c7b313
No, black women get the highest boost from affirmative action and white women along with white men are held almost to the same merit standard of Asians. As it is if you got rid of affirmative action, whites would gain in the ivy league maybe the most, just for now but the borders are open.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:

That's all well and good but Asians are allowed 22% of the slots and Jewish 20%. And whites are about 20% so who is being squeezed out here?

Old 10-17-2018, 05:10 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
That's all well and good but Asians are allowed 22% of the slots and Jewish 20%. And whites are about 20% so who is being squeezed out here?
You and I are talking about two different things.

Asians make up 5% (if I remember it correctly) of the US population. If they want to mirror the diversity of the US, that’s what percentage of the class would be Asian. Asians make up 22% of the student body at Harvard.

Whether you like it or not, they have made diversity a cornerstone of their admissions policy.

They are not allowed to set up quotas for particular groups, so they find other means to achieve that diversity.

It is a private school, so in my opinion, they should be able to set their own rules. Harvard and the group suing it have presented sharply divergent views of what constitutes a fair admissions process.

To me, this lawsuit is important because it may be the end of all affirmative action.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
You and I are talking about two different things.

Asians make up 5% (if I remember it correctly) of the US population. If they want to mirror the diversity of the US, that’s what percentage of the class would be Asian. Asians make up 22% of the student body at Harvard.

Whether you like it or not, they have made diversity a cornerstone of their admissions policy.

They are not allowed to set up quotas for particular groups, so they find other means to achieve that diversity.

It is a private school, so in my opinion, they should be able to set their own rules. Harvard and the group suing it have presented sharply divergent views of what constitutes a fair admissions process.

To me, this lawsuit is important because it may be the end of all affirmative action.
I'm just pointing out the practicality of the matter. We have open borders and diversity really means squeeze the majority white population out of everything. That's the reality.

You could fill Harvard 100% with qualified whites and not lose anything talent and achievement wise. Diversity is worse than useless to the white majority. Whites have been shouldering this affirmative action burden for decades now and they'll be squeezed out whether affirmative action goes or stays.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:20 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
I'm just pointing out the practicality of the matter. We have open borders and diversity really means squeeze the majority white population out of everything. That's the reality.

You could fill Harvard 100% with qualified whites and not lose anything talent and achievement wise. Diversity is worse than useless to the white majority. Whites have been shouldering this affirmative action burden for decades now and they'll be squeezed out whether affirmative action goes or stays.
yep i know what you meant.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:32 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
But....can your redneck kid read and write a coherent and grammatically accurate sentence?

Maybe , maybe not.
But this redneck kid is the one who's gonna save this country's behind when the crap hits the fan
and all those high IQ menfem's are cowering under the bed as mommy rubs their backs and feeds
them another anti anxiety pill.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:29 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Harvard sends recruitment letters to African-American, Native
American and Hispanic high schoolers with mid-range SAT scores, around 1100
on math and verbal combined out of a possible 1600, CNN reported.

Asian-Americans only receive a recruitment letter if they score at least 250
points higher — 1350 for women, and 1380 for men.

http://nypost.com/2018/10/17/harvard...d-on-race/amp/

Old 10-17-2018, 08:36 PM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Quote:
https://twitter.com/pnin1957/status/1051799180069531648

THIS is institutional racism, folks. Asian-americans are getting screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies