Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 01:07 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
there are a lot of things not to like about trump but the alternative is far worse. if there was a at least somewhat fiscally conservative democrat that could heal some of the division in this country i would consider voting for them. that's not what the democrats are about these days though quite the contrary.
It is NOT just the Democrats who are not able to bring about fiscal responsibility. Anyone who knows how tax and spend legislation tends to go, no way no how are Republicans less guilty! Begin to better balance your perspective about this as we all should, and we begin to better understand what the problem(s) REALLY are, who is to blame and why.

Putting immediate blame on either party for a systemic problem only serves to divert attention from where it needs to be. Both parties vote for spending, but on different things, and since neither is willing to compromise, we spend all the more, because it's easier to just let future generations deal with the consequences. We make it their problem rather than ours. Simple as that, conservatives and liberals alike...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 01:13 PM

1,081 posts, read 548,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Funny....the Dems can't produce a single person capable of beating him...what's that say about them?
I have never voted party lines. I sincerely wish some party could come up with a decent candidate for 2020.

The problem with the Republican party is Trump is the incumbent.

The problem with the Democratic party is they keep running establishment candidates. I think most people are tired of the establishment candidates.

What are people's thoughts on Tulsi Gabbard?

Old 10-16-2018, 01:20 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Or a fiscally conservative Republican (and I don't really put Trump in this category). That moderates are being winnowed out for extremism in all shapes and sizes is the enemy worth putting fists up for IMHO.
I think this term, "fiscally conservative" tends to be a catch-all term that conservatives managed to coin for themselves, but really we would all love to see our finances in good order. It's just like liberals or conservatives with credit cards. Some run up their credit card bills for purposes of immediate gratification while others think about the future. Conservatives are no better in these regards than liberals, or so my CPA tells me...

Old 10-16-2018, 01:21 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Cynicism in the appropriate doses no doubt is called for and so why anyone feels the need to line up behind any particular politician or party with fists drawn is beyond me.

OTOH ... we have one politician who has well profited from promoting that stance.

For some reason, folks just love that crap. But to answer the OP ... we have one family member who supported Trump, although so late to the game that he didn't vote for him (wrote in Rubio). Still, he converted with glee. Today, he's so embarrassed by Trump's personal ineptness that he can't quite bring himself to now talk about anything political. That said, he'd probably vote for Trump in 2020 if only to avoid voting Democratic.
I'm more embarrassed by what the FBI, the CIA, the NSA, the DOJ, the Obama Administration, the Clinton Foundation/Campaign, etc. is getting away with.

I'm proud of what Trump is generally doing, namely lowering taxes, hiring SCOTUSes, killing terrorists...

Imagine what he can do once the "Intelligence" Community is brought to justice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casor-Greener View Post
And lets not forget he lost by 2M votes....oh yeah I forgot they were all fraudulent votes. LMAO. See what I mean...only in politics is STUPIDITY not only expected but fostered
We count electoral votes, but just curious, at what instant in time did you realize that President Donald J Trump won the 2016 Presidential Election? Or have you?

Last edited by McGowdog; 10-16-2018 at 01:49 PM..

Old 10-16-2018, 01:22 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Is there anything or anyone critical of Trump who is not considered somehow suspect by Trump supporters? Is it impossible for Trump supporters to believe people are just not into Trump, even among those who don't lean liberal?
This is a great question.

In my opinion Fox News has done a great job at demonizing and even dehumanizing the left, even though "the left" as one unified ideological group (that includes everyone from those even slightly critical of Trump to ANTIFA thugs) doesn't exist in the way Fox News has convinced its viewers that it does. This has worked for rallying and energizing the conservative base around Trump.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:27 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You either love Trump or you hate Trump. There is no middle ground.

And the people who hate Trump are almost entirely liberal, whether they like to admit it or not.
I know a good many registered Conservatives who cannot stand the man and have never liked him.

They didn't vote for him. They either sat home or held their noses and voted for Clinton or a 3rd party.

So, yeah... they exist. Just not many of them post here.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
A whole lot of Never Trumpers are now on the Trump Train.

Just ask McConnell, Cruz and Graham.
Do you think they actually like him, though? I mean, like him or his policies?

I think they're pandering.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Funny....the Dems can't produce a single person capable of beating him...what's that say about them?
Let's see...

You got Hillary two times
Corky Cortex
Diane Frankenstein
Nancy Spillocy
Creepy Joe
Mad Maxine

....Their only hope is to pull a nobody from nowhere at the last minute like they did with Raping Bill and Muslim Obama...hoping to push them into power before anyone knows who they really are. Kinda like Obamacare....gotta pass it to see what's in it. Dems can't win on their agenda...they have to hide what they are until it's too late.
How do you know this?

I mean, who, other than Clinton, has ran against him? And, even she got more of the vote than he did, just not enough of the EC, so it's not like the American voting public made their support of him solid and clear. It was a toss up.

Why do you think nobody will appear before 2020 that will be someone the Democrats can run against Trump (if he runs again) and beat him?

That's really an argument with no basis at all, as it's not like he's run twice, been elected by a landslide, had a full mandate, and made it clear that the Democrats are incapable of producing a candidate who can defeat him.

Until they told him he won on election night in 2016, he was still chatting up his line about how the Democrats planned to cheat him out of winning. He had NO CLUE he'd actually win and I invite you to go back and take a look at the first views of the orange drained right out of his face when he realized he'd won if you need hard evidence.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
I have never voted party lines. I sincerely wish some party could come up with a decent candidate for 2020.

The problem with the Republican party is Trump is the incumbent.

The problem with the Democratic party is they keep running establishment candidates. I think most people are tired of the establishment candidates.

What are people's thoughts on Tulsi Gabbard?
The main thing wrong with the Democrats this time around was that they ran a woman that too many people hated.

Establishment may not excite the far left, but it will get most Dems to vote when the other option is a nutball like Trump.

It'll also get reasonable Conservatives to vote... for a Democrat.

I know way too many who only voted Trump because they couldn't stand Hillary, and who now keep terribly quiet about Trump.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:36 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

Until they told him he won on election night in 2016, he was still chatting up his line about how the Democrats planned to cheat him out of winning. He had NO CLUE he'd actually win and I invite you to go back and take a look at the first views of the orange drained right out of his face when he realized he'd won if you need hard evidence.
I really don't think Trump actually expected or even wanted to win. What he wanted was a show on Fox News to promote his ideology and he likely would have got it had he lost the election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies