Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 10:45 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,719,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Those groups by themselves were never unified. The left claims to champion them all, but what happens when their individual agendas and beliefs do not coincide with the overall agenda of leftist identity politics, or each others? Eventually, sides will be chosen by members of each of these groups.
I think the reason they also over-emphasize the intersectionality quota has probably to with wishing there was some sort of team attack on Republicans, which I think is failing big time already if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 10:47 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
You seem to be the only one obsessing here. I think you need a hobby.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
You seem to be the only one obsessing here. I think you need a hobby.
Oh really

I am going to guess some leftist is partaking in this thread and now is trying to find a way to move goal posts, how badass!

Old 10-16-2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Oh really

I am going to guess some leftist is partaking in this thread and now is trying to find a way to move goal posts, how badass!
Now I can admit I am pretty obsessed with poking fun at the concept itself, but not the concept on its own. I think what you were trying to infer?

Now get back to the choppa straight white male bigot!

Old 10-16-2018, 11:00 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,197,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
So men are privileged huh?

I will not question racism, racism has its causes and it still exists today for sure

But men are privileged?

So why must a group of men go into a blizzard to fix a powerline, yet women just demand 3 days off because of their periods??? Why can women just always remain in climate-controlled enviroments?
WTF, are you talking about?

I have never heard of a single case of a woman demanding 3 days off for a period and if she tried she would get nothing but laughed at as well as draw the ire of her fellow females for making them all look ridiculous. I heard of it in another country and women vilified and refused the idea.

I also know women who work outside or in hot shops, factories, etc. There are women who work on electrical lines and who work in construction in 100 degree heat. Just today I saw a woman hauling ass as part of a work crew on the house a couple doors down.

There are fewer women who do this work but the less physical jobs that can be had with the same level of education tend to much lower paying. Last time I checked taking these jobs was voluntary, no man is forced to take a job that requires fixing a power line in a blizzard. Dangerous jobs such as these tend to be pay well.

There are various levels of privilege that different people experience. We have discussed the fact that when the NY philharmonic and other symphonies went to blind auditions they female hires went from 5% to 45%. It had previously been argued that women simply didn't play as well or had a feminine style that didn't fit with the symphony. When gender wasn't visible, it was shown to be bias, not ability.

Many blind studies show gender bias exists. It's usually not concious, people aren't doing it intentionally and may believe they are being gender blind and fair. Men are viewed as more competent, even when women were rated higher at the job. Women are viewed as less competent but more nurturing than men. When it comes to social interactions women are seen as stronger whether it is true in an indivdual case or not.

https://www.nber.org/papers/w5903

Using data from actual auditions in an individual fixed-effects framework, we find that the screen increases by 50% the probability a woman will be advanced out of certain preliminary rounds. The screen also enhances, by severalfold, the likelihood a female contestant will be the winner in the final round. Using data on orchestra personnel, the switch to blind' auditions can explain between 30% and 55% of the increase in the proportion female among new hires and between 25% and 46% of the increase in the percentage female in the orchestras since 1970.
SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research
to assess this effect, we conducted three experiments with a total of 445 participants with managerial experience who were asked to make bonus, promotion, and termination recommendations for several employee profiles. We manipulated both the gender of the employees being evaluated and whether the company's core values emphasized meritocracy in evaluations and compensation. The main finding is consistent across the three studies: when an organization is explicitly presented as meritocratic, individuals in managerial positions favor a male employee over an equally qualified female employee by awarding him a larger monetary reward.

Last edited by detshen; 10-16-2018 at 11:29 PM..

Old 10-16-2018, 11:11 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times
Everyone is a victim unless you are a white, Christian, male. Then you are privileged.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:13 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,197,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Everyone is a victim unless you are a white, Christian, male. Then you are privileged.
According to many white, male Christians are the biggest victims.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:16 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,100,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Lol, are you really implying that only white Christian males are victims, and that it’s really everyone else who is privileged?

Old 10-16-2018, 11:28 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
The OP of this thread is very young.

It is encouraging to see his interest in current topics, but he would do well to engage in lots of reading - from books, not just online - about the history and background which led or has contributed to current conditions and issues, in order to better inform himself and not settle for easy answers, misogyny, misplaced blame, self-victimization, and similar pitfalls.

OP, hie thee to the library! The more you read, the more you'll understand and the more substance you can bring to the debate will increase nuance and create more textured, as well as more accurate, concepts of how the past and its people continue to influence the present.

Might help your punctuation a bit, too, so your posts convey your ideas more clearly to readers.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
The OP of this thread is very young.

It is encouraging to see his interest in current topics, but he would do well to engage in lots of reading - from books, not just online - about the history and background which led or has contributed to current conditions and issues, in order to better inform himself and not settle for easy answers, misogyny, misplaced blame, self-victimization, and similar pitfalls.

OP, hie thee to the library! The more you read, the more you'll understand and the more substance you can bring to the debate will increase nuance and create more textured, as well as more accurate, concepts of how the past and its people continue to influence the present.

Might help your punctuation a bit, too, so your posts convey your ideas more clearly to readers.
Meh I been de-accelarating my posting activity online lately so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies