Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 12:25 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,317 times

Advertisements

Using the Reddit thread of "Explain Like I'm 5", what is intersectionality? I have looked it up before but I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 12:29 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 6 hours ago)

5,791 posts, read 3,598,050 times
Intersectionality. How about the fact that we're all multiple identities, and some of us have more than one identity that historically is considered second-class at best, contempt-worthy at worst. e.g women, non-white, LGBT, TS/TG, non-Judeo-Christian, physically challenged, mentally challenged, etc. People with more than one of these have additional problems that people with only one (and especially none) do not.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:31 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,719,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Intersectionality. How about the fact that we're all multiple identities, and some of us have more than one identity that historically is considered second-class at best, contempt-worthy at worst. e.g women, non-white, LGBT, TS/TG, non-Judeo-Christian, physically challenged, mentally challenged, etc. People with more than one of these have additional problems that people with only one (and especially none) do not.
I like how the intersectionalists discount straight women and even white lesbians lmao...

Old 10-19-2018, 12:32 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
What is it that makes leftists keep on continuing to obsess with the intersectionality anology?

Well, if nothing else, it beats watching Donny get all gushy about body slamming.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
I like how the intersectionalists discount straight women and even white lesbians lmao...
How is acknowledging the problems of non-hetero non-white women trivializing the concern of straight women and white lesbians? That's just your own invention.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
How is acknowledging the problems of non-hetero non-white women trivializing the concern of straight women and white lesbians? That's just your own invention.
You realize you can eat up your own allies here?

Don't forget trans women too since I guess cis women don't matter

Old 10-19-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
You realize you can eat up your own allies here?

Don't forget trans women too since I guess cis women don't matter
Nope, being concerned about intersectional groups does not void concern about people with only one such (historically defined) outsider-trait. That includes the concerns of cis women (straight or gay or bi) or trans women (ditto).

Like I said, that's just your own invention.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Nope, being concerned about intersectional groups does not void concern about people with only one such (historically defined) outsider-trait. That includes the concerns of cis women (straight or gay or bi) or trans women (ditto).

Like I said, that's just your own invention.
What about the cis lesbian vs trans lesbian woman/men thing?

Old 10-19-2018, 03:54 PM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Quote:
It is not bias though, it is ability...

If it was bias, why would women always want then the less demanding part of a task? Example, why not carry the heavier end?
That must be the women you know. The women I know did anything that needed doing. Sometimes there were no men around.

For years women wanted construction jobs but could not be hired. They paid way better than bank clerks. Single moms have responsibilities, too.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
That must be the women you know. The women I know did anything that needed doing. Sometimes there were no men around.

For years women wanted construction jobs but could not be hired. They paid way better than bank clerks. Single moms have responsibilities, too.
And again, I feel bad for the discrimination some dealt with, but that doesn't represent all men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies