Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2018, 02:40 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,545,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I don't know where you live, but that truly is not the case in other areas. Young Democratic leaning voters are just regular people, not "aggrieved and depressed oddballs." You might want to take a look at your assumptions and prejudices about who is "normal/average/traditional." You may find that "traditional" is not the same group as "average."
I live in one of the hearts of "progressive America," Chicago, Illinois. I went to Northwestern University and grew up just down the street. I know what is up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 03:23 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,492,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I’m Gen X.

I don’t hate Millenials.
Bravo. I'm Gen X bordering Boomer, right on the edge, and I am so tired of the criticism about Millennials and I don't hate them. What I do not like is how many people of various age groups in this country take voting for granted. What an incredible right we have. And I'm not a huge flag waving USA! USA! USA! person. But it's important. There are folks who live in other places that would love to have this option. And so many of us just throw it away like it's nothing. We're spoiled.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:49 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
You seem to have forgotten that GenX literally hates Millennial guts.
I've not heard this one. I'm Gen X and love millenials. Baby boomers..well not so much. Most of my social circle is a mix of genx and millenials and we all get along fine.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:52 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,952,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Not to start a generational poop flinging match...
Who raised millennials?
Who educated millennials?
Who ruled corporal punishment as child abuse?
Who told them they absolutely needed a college degree?
Who then told them that in order to qualify for a job, needed 3-5 years worth of experience?

Keep it up, you'll need a college degree to be a janitor and with the boomer corporatist mindset combined with the OG liberal hippy PC movement- call a janitor a sanitation technician.

I practice what I preach, I don't require a degree. I don't require experience.
I aim to give opportunities boomers took for granted, you know. Like walking in at age 16, getting a job in a company, and staying there until retirement...

Judge us all you want. I don't fit the millennial mold. Saving money? Operating on a budget? I do both. I was on my own at 20. College paid for in full at age 20. My first house 15k down payment renovated and paid for in full at 25.
I didn't buy into the schemes boomers preached. But before you do go pointing fingers, better make sure your hands are clean.

Want to know why so many 20-30 somethings live at home and play house in their parents basement. You screwed them up by pumping their heads full of crap prepping them for a utopia that doesn't exist. They cant cope in the real world. They doubled down on your prerequisites and all signed up for college, got into over saturated job markets because you all preached skilled trades and such were beneath them, enabled and coddled them cradle to adulthood and grave if you had it your way.

Gee I would move back in with my parents too if I went along like the rest of the lemmings of my generation. When boomers vote democrat and property taxes on a starter home is 5-10k per year, tax the rich, you get an apartment in the bad side of town for 800-1k per month if you're lucky, asinine health insurance deductibles to be met every calender year plus a 200% increase in health insurance premiums...

Boomers broke them. They didn't prepare them for the real world unless they had parents like mine who were old school.
At least we don't eat tide pods and snort condoms like zoomers behind us do.
I will give credit where credit is due.
You may have had to finance your first house when interest rates on houses were between 10 and 20%

But that pales in comparison to what you paid for college what we paid for college.
I've seen 2 of my uncles that went to SUNY Brockport back in the early 70s to get degrees to become teachers. For 4 years, room board and tuition and books. Grand total of 800 dollars.
My associates degree I paid for up front in cash. 8k dollars. 4k per year. That didn't include books, tools, nor lab fees.
Colleges claim they're not for profit? BS! I bought all of my books new on amazon for a third the price the school was getting for them. Copied the ISBN numbers. Found them.

Go ahead and scoff at them. Afterall you all told them don't take metal or woodshop. It's dangerous. Skilled trades are beneath you. That's why if/when they look at houses, they look for move in ready 200k-300k houses. I have to teach guys how to read a ruler that are 19-28 years old. I'll admit I find that to be pathetic. But can I blame them? Not really. Not when they were sheltered and coddled.

You really think millennials as a whole can roll their sleeves up grab a ladder and do a roof in a week's time on a simple 1500sqft ranch?
Think they can hang sheet rock?
How about repair their own vehicle? No of course not. Most boomers who raised millennials were buying their cherubs their first cars granted little econoboxes, but they were new and had a maintenance plan and new car warranty. Not mine. Me I had to buy maintain and repair my own. And pay for the insurance too. Another hindrance to my generation and the one behind mine don't even want to get a driver's license for the most part because their parents bought them video games and smart phones when they were 9 and 10 years old and are used to being carted around by mom and dad. You're lucky the majority of them can spell their own name and dress themselves.

That's what happens when you coddle and shelter and make pathetic lemmings out of kids, and don't prepare them for reality but a non existent utopia. They cant cope. They find video games better than reality. Social media filling a void created due to not getting the attention from a functional family.

My generation is guilty of that. Go to a bar a restaurant a nightclub with the girlfriend and damn near everyone 25-35 has their head tilted down face illuminated by the glow of a phone. They'll all be hunched back by 40 I guarantee it. So I'm with you there being critical of my generation. But you reap what you sow.

I don't know how many times I was mistaken for a boomer here in the POC... because like boomers, I tell it like it is. I don't sugar coat anything.
Best post in this thread.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:38 AM

88,981 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So... your sons are good with being presumed guilty if anyone ever alleges sexual assault accusations against them, huh? That's a new one on me. All the younger males I know are vehemently opposed to that.
No. That is not what I said.

Reread it.
The entire premise of the attempt at railroading Kavanaugh is 'presumed guilty,' no corroborating evidence whatsoever required. When your young sons go to vote, they need to think very carefully if they'd be fine with anyone at anytime accusing them, and similarly being presumed guilty even when there's no evidence whatsoever to prove the allegation is truthful.

Still to this day, idiot leftists are screaming "we believe survivors!" at Congressional Republicans and candidates. No corroborating evidence whatsoever, just believe whatever anyone says.

Your young sons should think very carefully if they want to live the rest of their lives knowing that could happen to them at any time, ruining their lives and careers (Kavanaugh can't teach at Harvard Law, anymore - Can you believe it? A SCOTUS Justice not allowed to teach at Harvard Law).

Old 10-18-2018, 04:49 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,317,847 times
Quote:
The entire premise of the attempt at railroading Kavanaugh is 'presumed guilty,' no corroborating evidence whatsoever required. When your young sons go to vote, they need to think very carefully if they'd be fine with anyone at anytime accusing them, and similarly being presumed guilty even when there's no evidence whatsoever to prove the allegation is truthful.

Still to this day, idiot leftists are screaming "we believe survivors!" at Congressional Republicans and candidates. No corroborating evidence whatsoever, just believe whatever anyone says.

Your young sons should think very carefully if they want to live the rest of their lives knowing that could happen to them at any time, ruining their lives and careers (Kavanaugh can't teach at Harvard Law, anymore - Can you believe it? A SCOTUS Justice not allowed to teach at Harvard Law).
And maybe my sons should also think about how they carry themselves and act during their college years... and whether they can live with themselves for lying under oath should that opportunity arise

Old 10-18-2018, 04:50 AM

Let me also add how very disappointing it is to see Harvard Law students jump on the 'presumed guilty,' no evidence necessary, bandwagon. If they're supposedly the brightest of the best, this country is totally screwed.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Many Millennials are finally getting to the age where they understand how the real world works - I welcome their votes. Naive twenty-somethings, not so much.

On a related not, only a bigot would use the word "gerontocracy". Blind hatred of older folks is as despicable as hatred based on race, gender, sexual orientiation, etc. Why do you frequent hate-mongering websites?
Umm..look at the facts. Who has pushed these trillion dollar deficits on us in the last several decades? Who has no interest in preserving Medicare or ss, or the planet for that matter, for future generations?

Old 10-18-2018, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Let me also add how very disappointing it is to see Harvard Law students jump on the 'presumed guilty,' no evidence necessary, bandwagon. If they're supposedly the brightest of the best, this country is totally screwed.
Not nearly as amoral as the moron in office who couldn't pick someone with less baggage for the scotus. It's highly likely kavanaugh committed perjury during the hearings based on what is knows of various sexual slang terms, as well as eyewitness testimony from those who attended Yale with him

Old 10-18-2018, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
And maybe my sons should also think about how they carry themselves and act during their college years...
None of the allegations about Kavanaugh or his allegedly extreme behavior were ever proven. NONE. The FBI interviewed the accusers' own witnesses. NONE of them would corroborate the allegations. NONE.

Just wait until one of your sons is accused and presumed guilty with no corroborating evidence whatsoever, you'll be singing a VERY different tune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies