Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 12:14 PM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
You're right. I don't remember what it was, though.
Something to do with breaking federal campaign finance laws. I can’t remember and google has cleaned it up off the web. I can try to look for it later.

I’m sure Hillary would have loved to have him as VP over Tim Kaine otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 12:23 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Julian Castro says he's 'likely' to challenge Trump in 2020

He might run. But he won't be any challenge.
True , especially if the economy is still doing great

Old 10-17-2018, 12:29 PM

2,486 posts, read 824,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Former Obama administration official and San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro said he is "likely" to challenge President Donald Trump in 2020.

He would have to take out what appears to be a long line of Dems, only one of whom will make it through to challenge Trump.

I say the more the merrier. Let the Dems eat themselves as they try to prove who is more progressive, more extreme. They can't help themselves and I will enjoy every debate as they reveal just how far they are willing to go off that cliff.

It'll be better than Mad Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Wasn’t he on Hillary’s short list of VP nominees and she had to go with Tim Kain because something came up in Castro’s vetting?

He violated the Hatch Act when he was HUD secretary, so I'm not even sure he could run at all.
https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/us...of-8384912.php

Though, when I think about it, that might make him the perfect candidate for the DNC.

I actually believed Hillary would try for a third shot. After that interview with her "Lewinski was an adult" thing, pretty sure that ship has sailed and sunk.

Last edited by Originalist; 10-17-2018 at 12:42 PM..

Old 10-17-2018, 12:34 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
First of all, the only way incumbent Presidents get bounced by challengers, the challenger is almost always an ex-governor.

1992 - ex-governor of AR beats incumbent.

1980 - ex-governor of CA beats incumbent.

1976 - ex-governor of GA beats incumbent.

1932 - ex-governor of NY beats incumbent.

1912 - ex-governor of NJ beats incumbent.

You have to go back more than 100 years to break that pattern. Julian Castro fails that test.

When an incumbent has lost to someone that wasn't a governor at some point, that challenger had been Veep, former US military flag officer and/or US Senator. Julian Castro fails that test.

The Democrats need to tap an ex-governor or Veep, who has name recognition and no easily exploitable baggage. Julian Castro fails that test.

He will not challenge Trump at anything, and if he dos, he will lose.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:35 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
For me, probably Trump or Libertarian party.

I haven't decided yet.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:41 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,643,365 times
Doesn’t Julian have an identical twin brother, also in politics? Maybe he could be the vice presidential running mate?

Old 10-17-2018, 12:41 PM

463 posts, read 189,308 times
He must not have gotten the memo that the left only wants to run minority candidates to lean on the identity politics that have been working out so well for them recently

The only acceptable candidate is a quadriplegic, deaf, blind, non-binary / polyamorous, ESL, 2nd generation anchor baby refugee escaping persecution in their home country, all with no political experience and 'fresh' ideas like free healthcare, free college, free welfare for all

Just kidding, the only requirement to be a democrat is to say no to literally anything Trump does - so somewhere between the mental faculties and capabilities of a 3-4 year old. I'd rather have the 3 year old though because at least I don't have to listen to their inane diatribes about inequality and systemic prejudice

Old 10-17-2018, 01:19 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Unfortunate name.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:29 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Wasn’t he on Hillary’s short list of VP nominees and she had to go with Tim Kain because something came up in Castro’s vetting?
Part of it was a long string of poor audit results during his tenure as head of HUD ..... he couldn't manage the department, couldn't account for the money ... tons of problems.

That just followed similar issues while he was Mayor of San Antonio.
I doubt he is even serious about running for President .... BUT it does give him a Dandy reason to accumulate Campaign donations.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:36 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,273,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Doesn’t Julian have an identical twin brother, also in politics? Maybe he could be the vice presidential running mate?
He does and he once sent Joaquin in his place, impersonate Julian, to an event when he wanted to be somewhere else. I was unfortunate enough to have him for a mayor. We’vr been expecting his running just wasn’t sure when it would happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies