Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2018, 08:17 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Keep the population stupid, distracted by sports and the Kartrashians...and stoned.
Canada isn't the first country where pot is legal. In the Netherlands, society accepts pot use within certain conditions. The drug tourism industry is booming, but the Dutch see it as something that is fine for artists and creative people, but the rest of the society doesn't use it.

How do we know that Canada won't have the same view regarding who and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 09:09 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Canada isn't the first country where pot is legal. In the Netherlands, society accepts pot use within certain conditions. The drug tourism industry is booming, but the Dutch see it as something that is fine for artists and creative people, but the rest of the society doesn't use it.

How do we know that Canada won't have the same view regarding who and why?
You're right and wrong. Uruguay was the first country to legalize. Netherlands never legalized, they decriminalized.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:53 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,224,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
You're right and wrong. Uruguay was the first country to legalize. Netherlands never legalized, they decriminalized.
Well, technically, in the DPRK there has never been laws against cannabis, so...

Old 10-20-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Well, technically, in the DPRK there has never been laws against cannabis, so...
I always forget about NK!

Old 10-20-2018, 10:31 PM

30,153 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Ah Canada, you can use a dangerous drug and harm yourself and society but express the wrong opinion and you’ll go to jail.

Dangerous drug? LOL

Old 10-20-2018, 11:04 PM

2,448 posts, read 893,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Dangerous drug? LOL
By conservative estimates, 10% of marijuana users become addicted. That means millions of people. The deleterious effects on developing brains, meaning kids through people in their mid-20s is beyond dispute. Among other effects, it exacerbates psychological conditions like psychosis and schizophrenia. And when you legalize, drug dealers turn their focus to underage people.

All drug abusers speak as Raddo do at some point. All swear their drug use doesn't negatively affect their lives. Most will make the same claim as Raddo in arguing that, in fact, their chemical abuse actually improves their lives. Among other abusers I've known are my in-laws, who are alcoholics. Much like Raddo, they've had great success financially with their small business, which they've operated for over 40 years. They also claim more friends than anyone I know. So, superficially, they could make the same argument as Raddo. However, when you peel away the skin of that onion, you find many deeper problems. If you're around drug abusers, you quickly note that their self-awareness and their ability to assess how others truly react to them is impaired.

A few things, most of which you already know at some level:

1. People who habitually use mind-altering drugs have issues that they try to self-medicate.
2. This is not an effective way to self-medicate.
3. Claims of health benefits from marijuana are dubious, at best.
4. Pumping carcinogens into your body and into your lungs, which is how the vast majority of abusers use this chemical, is never good for you.
5. The effects of marijuana make people less, not more, productive.
6. There are powerful corporate/business interests licking their chops at getting this industry going, who are more than happy to have useful idiots at their disposal to regurgitate propaganda and bro science claims.
7. The abuse of marijuana in wealthy countries like the United States almost always comes with the price of misery of people in impoverished third-world countries.
8. The experiences of people like myself, who deal with many young marijuana abusers over the course of the year reveals that, far from making people less violent, marijuana abuse makes young people less focused, more irritable and more prone to violence. We work with many kids who are relatively docile when not on this chemical who become aggravated and impulsive under its influence and involved in more physical confrontations when abusing it.

I would invite you to investigate the many mass shooters and terrorists who have been habitual marijuana users. Did marijuana render them less violent? Is marijuana sold on the street in 2018 generally more or less potent than marijuana sold 30 years ago? If more potent, does that mean that today's abusers are generally less violent and healthier than marijuana abusers 30 years ago? After all, marijuana generally improves health, including mental health, and makes people less violent, right?

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...tric_Discharge

Old 10-20-2018, 11:41 PM

1,330 posts, read 698,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post

1. People who habitually use mind-altering drugs have issues that they try to self-medicate.
4. Pumping carcinogens into your body and into your lungs, which is how the vast majority of abusers use this chemical, is never good for you.
6. There are powerful corporate/business interests licking their chops at getting this industry going, who are more than happy to have useful idiots at their disposal to regurgitate propaganda and bro science claims.
7. The abuse of marijuana in wealthy countries like the United States almost always comes with the price of misery of people in impoverished third-world countries.
8. The experiences of people like myself, who deal with many young marijuana abusers over the course of the year reveals that, far from making people less violent, marijuana abuse makes young people less focused, more irritable and more prone to violence. We work with many kids who are relatively docile when not on this chemical who become aggravated and impulsive under its influence and involved in more physical confrontations when abusing it.
How much BS can you come up with in a single post?

1 - Not everyone who use MJ uses it for mind altering things. My father uses cream to help with arthritis. I've occasionally used it instead of Ambien for sleep medication

2 - Says who? Some local know-it-all on a message board?

3 - False. Plenty of studies with things like seizures, pain relief etc.

4 - False. You can consume via lotions, gels, vaporizers, edibles etc. I've never once consumed via a method that burns the bud

5 - Depends on the strain. Those high in THC, I'd agree. Not all are high in THC.

7 - Extremely false. Have you ever even seen a grow in states like CO or WA? These are industrial agriculture facilities, many indoors to control temps for a consistent product. Most people in legal states would rather purchase from a dispensary and not your corner drug dealer. Why? Because you know where your product came from and that it is of high enough quality. In CO at least, the plants are tagged from when they are planted to when they are harvested. No 3rd world is involved.

Old 10-21-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
By conservative estimates, 10% of marijuana users become addicted. That means millions of people. The deleterious effects on developing brains, meaning kids through people in their mid-20s is beyond dispute. Among other effects, it exacerbates psychological conditions like psychosis and schizophrenia. And when you legalize, drug dealers turn their focus to underage people.

All drug abusers speak as Raddo do at some point. All swear their drug use doesn't negatively affect their lives. Most will make the same claim as Raddo in arguing that, in fact, their chemical abuse actually improves their lives. Among other abusers I've known are my in-laws, who are alcoholics. Much like Raddo, they've had great success financially with their small business, which they've operated for over 40 years. They also claim more friends than anyone I know. So, superficially, they could make the same argument as Raddo. However, when you peel away the skin of that onion, you find many deeper problems. If you're around drug abusers, you quickly note that their self-awareness and their ability to assess how others truly react to them is impaired.

I would invite you to investigate the many mass shooters and terrorists who have been habitual marijuana users. Did marijuana render them less violent? Is marijuana sold on the street in 2018 generally more or less potent than marijuana sold 30 years ago? If more potent, does that mean that today's abusers are generally less violent and healthier than marijuana abusers 30 years ago? After all, marijuana generally improves health, including mental health, and makes people less violent, right?

And there it is. chiociolliscalves believes that cannabis makes people violent.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:32 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:

What a load of BS.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:10 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,722 times
Quote:

Unbelievable.

Actually, the way the post is worded, it is believable to the uninformed. That is what makes people like this poster such a big part of the problem.

On the remote chance that someone is reading this who is impressionable and still on the fence on this issue, take it from me, someone with over 47 years of daily experience with the plant and 25 years of research, that this poster just posted one of the biggest loads of BS that I have witnessed in recent times.

Next, this poster will accuse all of the replies as having no substance. That's because all the links and substance needed to counter this post was posted earlier in this thread, with no need to repeat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies