Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will illegal immigrant invasion caravan effect midterm election
Help Republicans 203 74.09%
Help Democrats 21 7.66%
No effect 50 18.25%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 09:37 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Just the standard right wing lie. I do not support the caravan other than the degree to which it consists of legal asylum seekers. I also point out that a number of the members may end up using our busted systems to achieve residence though illegally. That is because the huge number of illegal aliens already present have ground the system to a halt.

I do believe we need to legalize most of the present illegal aliens. That is because the only available choices are to legalize or have the problem get worse. The wall does little. Simply drive those seeking to cross to TX
And of course you folk continue to sell the 100 billion plus fraud even though it has been roundly debunked.

That is the basic right wing approach to the illegal alien problem...lie about it.
Yeah. That 'caravan' is down to 3700 from the alleged 10,000. It will dwindle even more in the 2 months it will take to get here.

The last 'caravan' in April had 14 people arrested for trying to cross illegally.

So why is Trump sending 5200 Troops to the border? One reason. One. Mid-term elections.

On November 7 - those troops will be drawing back, mark my words.

And lastly - where are all those Christian groups that do mission work in Honduras? Is that just for show or do any of them actually care about Honduran citizens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 09:38 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
...made up by Trump? Even I, no way a Trump supporter, believe that.

It won't be amusing to see violence occur, children in need etc.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:44 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Only the people whom Trump has convinced believe this is a "crisis".

If the MIGHTIEST country in the world can't handle a couple thousand tired, unarmed, men, women and children - then we might as well just pack it all in TODAY.

First it was 10,000. Then 7000. Now it's 3700 and they are still 2 months away.

Remember the last caravan Trump got everyone worked up about in April? Down to a few HUNDRED by the time they got here. 14 people arrested for crossing illegally.

Think we can handle that? I do.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:46 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
10 of thousands arrive here every month and have been for decades. BP catches or turns away most of them. What is the big deal? Are we having an election or something?

Old 10-30-2018, 09:49 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
I'm not worried because we fortunately have an administration in control right now that understands that they have to set a precedent and not allow these people into the U.S. or half of Central America will be at our southern border next. This administration also understands that they will be criticized every step of the way, even though they are just doing their rightful job of securing our borders, and will therefore be very well organized and diplomatic in dealing with these people, even while turning them away.

Also, these people are still roughly the distance from New York City to Jacksonville Florida away from the U.S. border, a lot can happen between here and there. Many of them probably won't even make it this far. At least a few thousand have already decided to stop and seek asylum in Mexico, no doubt others will do the same, although I guess time will tell how many.

I would be much more concerned if Obama was still in office.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:53 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Only the people whom Trump has convinced believe this is a "crisis".

If the MIGHTIEST country in the world can't handle a couple thousand tired, unarmed, men, women and children - then we might as well just pack it all in TODAY.

First it was 10,000. Then 7000. Now it's 3700 and they are still 2 months away.

Remember the last caravan Trump got everyone worked up about in April? Down to a few HUNDRED by the time they got here. 14 people arrested for crossing illegally.

Think we can handle that? I do.

I didn't say we could not handle it...

just seems to me there's a possibility for chaos and children in peril....humanitarian crisis, possibly.

Last edited by greatblueheron; 10-30-2018 at 10:27 AM..

Old 10-30-2018, 10:02 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,522,451 times
It's a very sad day when the President has to explain the LAW

while it's in his job description to protect the U.S.A.

TITLE 8--ALIENS AND NATIONALITY

CHAPTER 12--IMMIGRATION AND NATIONALITY

SUBCHAPTER II--IMMIGRATION

Part VIII--General Penalty Provisions

Sec. 1326. Reentry of removed aliens

(a) In general

Subject to subsection (b) of this section, any alien who--
(1) has been denied admission, excluded, deported, or removed or
has departed the United States while an order of exclusion,
deportation, or removal is outstanding, and thereafter
(2) enters, attempts to enter, or is at any time found in, the
United States, unless (A) prior to his reembarkation at a place
outside the United States or his application for admission from
foreign contiguous territory, the Attorney General has expressly
consented to such alien's reapplying for admission; or (B) with
respect to an alien previously denied admission and removed, unless
such alien shall establish that he was not required to obtain such
advance consent under this chapter or any prior Act,

shall be fined under title 18, or imprisoned not more than 2 years, or
both.

(b) Criminal penalties for reentry of certain removed aliens

Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this section, in the case of any
alien described in such subsection--
(1) whose removal was subsequent to a conviction for commission
of three or more misdemeanors involving drugs, crimes against the
person, or both, or a felony (other than an aggravated felony), such
alien shall be fined under title 18, imprisoned not more than 10
years, or both; (2) whose removal was subsequent to a conviction for commission
of an aggravated felony, such alien shall be fined under such title,
imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both;
(3) who has been excluded from the United States pursuant to
section 1225(c) of this title because the alien was excludable under
section 1182(a)(3)(B) of this title or who has been removed from the
United States pursuant to the provisions of subchapter V of this
chapter, and who thereafter, without the permission of the Attorney
General, enters the United States, or attempts to do so, shall be
fined under title 18 and imprisoned for a period of 10 years, which
sentence shall not run concurrently with any other sentence.

At the end of the day they are just illegal aliens who have no respect
for America or OUR laws...Actions speak louder then words

Why are they refusing help from Mexico ? because they know very
well that the first English they will learn will come from the liberal handbook

then they will attempt to master the democratic art of deflection

Today's democratic party is packed full of no accomplishments, no experience, no original ideas,
no understanding of how the economy works, no understanding of how the world works,
no common sense, nothing but abstract, empty rhetoric devoid of real substance and
this is why they have to import voters at any cost.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:06 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I'm not worried because we fortunately have an administration in control right now that understands that they have to set a precedent and not allow these people into the U.S. or half of Central America will be at our southern border next. This administration also understands that they will be criticized every step of the way, even though they are just doing their rightful job of securing our borders, and will therefore be very well organized and diplomatic in dealing with these people, even while turning them away.

Also, these people are still roughly the distance from New York City to Jacksonville Florida away from the U.S. border, a lot can happen between here and there. Many of them probably won't even make it this far. At least a few thousand have already decided to stop and seek asylum in Mexico, no doubt others will do the same, although I guess time will tell how many.

I would be much more concerned if Obama was still in office.
A lot such as what? Are you really OK with taxpayers (meaning you) paying 5200 of our troops a salary to play Monopoly for at least 45 days so Trump can grab more Republican votes at the 11th hour? That's what this is: a transparent political ploy. These migrants are unarmed, 1000 miles from us, and walking. What threat do they pose? None. And like usual, Trump supporters are falling for it hook, line, and sinker.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:08 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Yes, these people want a better life, just as our distant relatives wanted from the first settlements-on.
You and anyone else who thinks this needs to really stop and assess this thought.

The American Dream is not as easy to attain as it was 40 years ago or back in the early days of the US.

Back when the US was being formed, immigrants were making their way here to pursue the American Dream it was attainable. Times are different now. Modern technology has replaced and will continue to replace low skilled workers.

Why the American dream doesn't exist anymore

These people don't speak our language and most immigrants that come here from Honduras, Guatemala and Mexico don't aspire to anything great and instead become a welfare statistic once they have a baby on US soil. Sure there are always going to be some that make it but most don't.

They live much closer to Belize and Costa Rica and other South American Countries where they can go and live a good life. I don't understand why they think they have a free pass at the US?

Heck Mexico even offers them aid and they REFUSED it!

Migrant Caravan Refuses Mexico's Offer, Continues Towards U.S. | Time
Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto launched a program on Friday dubbed “You are home,” which promises shelter, medical attention, schooling and jobs to Central Americans who agree to stay in the southern Mexico states of Chiapas or Oaxaca.
When you open the gates to people who have no education, no high skills and don't speak our language just exactly what do you think the result is going to be?

They will proceed to have baby after baby on US soil as a means to getting benefits. They will work low skilled jobs and be paid under the table. They won't be paying income taxes on their under the table money. Just stop and think about it. Take a good look around the country. Look up stats. Do whatever it takes to raise you understanding on the points I raised.

I see so many immigrants from South America who have been in the US for 16+ years and don't speak an ounce of English. This tells me they have no interest in becoming a high functioning working class citizen who will integrate into our society.

I see a lot of this in CA.

Give them a place to park or force them out? City’s RV residents under spotlight
Quote:
The couple immigrated from El Salvador three years ago and initially rented a room in the Mission until their landlord raised the rent. For the past year and a half, they’ve lived without electricity or running water in a 6-by-30-foot vehicle they bought used for $8,000 after seeing it advertised on Facebook.

“Almost everything is difficult,” Erika said in Spanish, standing outside her motor home one recent morning as her neighbors — a couple who appeared to be in their 20s — emerged from the camper up the block.
California immigrants worried about health care under Trump green card plan

Quote:
The Department of Homeland Security estimates that the rule would impact about 382,700 people nationally — the number who might apply for a green card in a given year. But researchers believe that fear of the rule could impact a much broader population of up to 24 million people — that’s the number of people are living in the U.S. with at least one noncitizen family member who has received at least one public benefit, according to the Fiscal Policy Institute. In many households, for example, a parent could be a noncitizen on Medicaid, with his or her U.S. citizen children also getting benefits — and if the parent drops the Medicaid benefits because he or she fears the immigration status impact, the children could lose those benefits as well, leaving them vulnerable if they get sick.
We have US citizens (seniors, children and young teens) that need help RIGHT now and we need to focus on helping the citizens that are here legally in the US.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:09 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Many will never make it to the Elysium..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies