Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will illegal immigrant invasion caravan effect midterm election
Help Republicans 203 74.09%
Help Democrats 21 7.66%
No effect 50 18.25%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 07:49 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I never read such a post but if it's true it's only one or a few posters that would say or agree to that. Typical of lefties to stereotype us all though. You didn't disappoint.

Rocks should be viewed as dangerous weapons just as guns are. You've got to be kidding if you don't think that a rock can kill you.

No, they were supposed to ask for asylum in the nearest safe country they entered but they didn't do that. We have every right to turn them down by not doing that.

I didn't stereotype, I quoted.

I do think a rock can kill you, but you have to abide by the LAW.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 07:49 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It is LEGAL.

And we can legally turn them down for not asking for asylum in the nearest safe country instead. How many times does this have to be repeated before you get it?

Old 11-01-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
And we can legally turn them down for not asking for asylum in the nearest safe country instead. How many times does this have to be repeated before you get it?
Sure we can, and that sounds super easy, and I totally support it.

Except for.... wait for it..... the laws:

If a person arrives on US soil and claims asylum, does the US have to deal with their claim under international law?

Yes. Not only does the US have an international legal obligation to do so, based on the requirement of complying with the object and purpose of the 1951 Refugee Convention, and implementing legal obligations in good faith, it has an obligation to do so under its own domestic law.

http://theconversation.com/qanda-wha...refugees-72007

Old 11-01-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I didn't stereotype, I quoted.

I do think a rock can kill you, but you have to abide by the LAW.

Why bring it up then since only a minority of Americans would advocate for us to use violence without it being within the bounderies of our laws? I certainly expect all Americans including our LE to follow our laws to the letter and that's why I expect foreigners to also.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:55 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
CNN? Ok, that means all those months we have to support these people while they are waiting or worse yet they are released back into our society and never show up for their court dates. Either way it's not fair to the American people. They should have to apply at the embassies in their own countries and wait till they are approved.

Do we have to repeat once again that they are supposed to request asylum in the first safe country they enter and that Mexico already offered them asylum along with jobs and most refused? What say you?

If they decide to come here anyway then they should have to wait outside our border where they won't burden the taxpayer for months only to get a denial for most of them anyway.
There is no requirement I can find that you must ask for asylum in the first safe country. They can do so but if accepted it causes them later problems. If they don't it does not.

The Mexican offers has serious strings. Only the two southern states which have problems.

there is no requirement that you apply in the embassy in your home country. For many that may be close to impossible.

And the problem of people vanishing is driven by the 11 million. If there were a few hundred thousand to worry about we could easily track them all.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:57 PM

35,001 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
I read about that. The truth is though that Trump has instilled so much fear into his base and told them so many lies like Dems don't want border control and want illegal immigration, etc that most of his base just don't care, heck one of them on CD & this very forum just called these people "animals".
Why don't the Democrats (I am one by the way) clarify their position on border control?

Old 11-01-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Why bring it up then since only a minority of Americans would advocate for us to use violence without it being within the bounderies of our laws? I certainly expect all Americans including our LE to follow our laws to the letter and that's why I expect foreigners to also.
Because the President did?

Old 11-01-2018, 07:58 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Applying for asylum in the US takes, on average, 6 months, 2 interviews and one big decision

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/01/world...rnd/index.html

I believe that I read currently the back log is about 10 months.

Post #2053 I posted:

Quote:
Thanks, Max. I believe you're correct. The 93% she's referring to passed the first phase - the credible fear test. Once they pass that, they can apply, and it can take anywhere from several months to several years to be granted asylum. As of July 2018, there were 733,000 cases pending with an average wait of 721 days.

https://immigrationforum.org/article...sylum-process/
From the site I link to:

Quote:
How can an individual apply for asylum in the U.S.?

Either affirmatively or defensively. Depending on how the asylum seeker arrived in the U.S., he or she may apply for asylum either through the affirmative asylum process or the defensive asylum process. Under both processes, asylum seekers must indicate a “well-founded fear” of persecution in their home countries during a credible fear interview with immigration authorities. Otherwise, they are ordered for removal.
  • Affirmative asylum process – Under the affirmative asylum process, the asylum seeker has entered the U.S. with a valid visa and applies for asylum through U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
Applicants may utilize the affirmative asylum process only if they are not in removal proceedings. An USCIS officer decides whether the individual will be granted asylum in the U.S. If USCIS denies an asylum application in the affirmative asylum process after the individual’s visa has expired, he or she is referred for removal but can utilize the defensive asylum process to renew his or her request for asylum.
  • Defensive asylum process – A person in the defensive asylum process requests asylum in immigration court while in removal proceedings or at port of entry without a valid visa. In the defensive asylum process, an immigration judge decides whether the applicant will be granted asylum or not.
Individuals seeking asylum at ports of entry are placed in expedited removal proceedings by Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and referred for a credible fear screening interview conducted by an asylum officer. The credible fear interview provides the applicant with the opportunity to explain how he or she has been persecuted or has a well-founded fear of persecution based on his or her race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion if returned to his or her country. Based on the interview, the officer then decides whether the applicant has a “significant possibility” of being eligible for asylum. If so, the officer refers such individual to immigration court in a defensive asylum application process. If not, the applicant is ordered removed and may seek review by an immigration judge in effort to appeal the negative decision.
How long does the asylum process take?

The length of the asylum process varies, but it typically takes between 6 months and several years. The length of asylum process may vary depending on whether the asylum seeker filed affirmatively or defensively and on the particular facts of his asylum claim.
Under the affirmative asylum process, the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) requires USCIS to schedule the initial interview within 45 days after the application is filed and make a decision within 180 days after the application date.

Under the defensive asylum process, applicants must go through the immigration court system, which faces significant backlogs. As of July 2018, there were over 733,000 pending immigration cases and the average wait time for an immigration hearing was 721 days. The backlog has been worsening over the past decade as the funding for immigration judges has failed to keep pace with an increasing case load.

Since they're not entering with a VISA, they fall into the defensive asylum category - average wait time is 721 days.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Because the President did?

Really? Did he advocate for anyone to use violence while violating our laws to do so? You're just getting desperate now.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:00 PM

7,505 posts, read 4,347,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I am an engineer by training, inclination and experience. You go after the big problems first. You do not get swept up in some interesting side tidbit.

The big problem is the 11 million here already. Next comes the over stayers. Then the border crossers.

And you simply are spinning your wheels and wasting energy until you deal with the existing population. That fifth column will inevitably defeat any attempt to limit entry by supplying a safe haven to those who break in.
So you go after the big problem first but allow the main problem to continue regardless, which is securing the border. Brilliant! I wish I'd though of that. What good does it do to get rid of the 11 million while you've still got 11 million or more pouring in at the same time? I'm for doing both simultaneously. But you still don't get it? For an engineer I hope you're not designing bridges, at least not one that I'd want to drive on.

Of course I'm spinning my wheels arguing with you. I've gotta' be half out of my mind for doing so. But there's something within me that can't let you get away with your BS. You don't have to brag about how smart you are. Again your condescending attitude is repulsive and adds nothing to your arguments. I can claim that I'm an aerospace engineer or a neurological surgeon but what the hell does that have to do with anything? Especially on the subject of illegal immigration? I wouldn't want an aerospace engineer performing brain surgery nor would I want a neurological surgeon designing spacecraft.

I've explained my positions on the illegal invasion of this country. But with all of your superior intelligence you still can't comprehend any of it? Well so be it. I'm done, my wall is waiting, I'm better off arguing with it than with the likes of you.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 11-01-2018 at 08:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies