Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will illegal immigrant invasion caravan effect midterm election
Help Republicans 203 74.09%
Help Democrats 21 7.66%
No effect 50 18.25%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 11:44 AM

20,406 posts, read 12,299,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I don’t live my life in fear. Maybe you should try it sometime.
no you just go around spitting mad because Trump.

in this case trump is right. that's no reason to be afraid. it is a reason to act appropriately and stand for the sovereignty of this nation. period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 11:46 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,054,741 times
It's being reported now that the caravan is now 14,000 and growing.

https://twitter.com/BOB__WASHINGTON/...21200145854465

Old 10-22-2018, 11:46 AM

25,771 posts, read 16,386,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
So what is he going to do? Have the troops open fire on a bunch of unarmed civilians? That would go over really well.
Very good point. This is a terrible situation! I just read that the crowd is over 7,000 and possibly as much as 10,000. Seems very well funded and organized.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:48 AM

45,312 posts, read 26,855,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but if a person, or persons flee a country due to political turmoil, and they state that they are seeking Asylum, I think we HAVE to give them a hearing. I don't think we can legally turn them away. I'm making NO STATEMENT on if this is how it SHOULD be, but I believe that it is actually how it is. So, to answer your questions, what should be done, is one of the following:

1. Allow them in, then detain them until a fair hearing is given, or
2. Allow them in, then detain them until a fair hearing is given AND do what Trump 'says' he'll do, and work to have the laws changed.

Here is an article about the same subject, but earlier in the year:
https://www.pri.org/stories/2018-05-...work-us-border

Trump may or may not be right about the threat that they present, but he'd be wise to do something he's rarely done before, and actually follow the law, instead of telling lies and putting his extreme ignorance on display for the world to see. (Of course he's not THAT stupid. He's just playing to his base. THEY are THAT stupid.)
What's the turmoil in Honduras?

It started at 1,300 people... now beyond 7,000 people that crashed through the Mexican border. We are beyond a normal asylum case right now.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:49 AM

21,431 posts, read 7,387,167 times
Mexico is destroying US/Mexico relations by allowing the caravan

Where you been Willis?

Trump alone has already destroyed Mexico/US relations. He has insulted the Mexican people and lied about them to the world. He asked the president of Mexico to lie to his own people, because Trump did not want to be exposed as a liar and weak deal maker to his own followers. The Mexican people, ordinary folks, will be happy to tweak Trump's nose. They will feed refugees all along the way and encourage them to go on. The Mexican people, if not the government, would love to see these poor souls pile up at our ports of entry.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:49 AM

25,771 posts, read 16,386,722 times
Imagine the fear that Americans living along the southern border are under now? Not fear for their lives like a military invasion would bring but so many other fears. I don’t care if you support Trump or not this is a really bad situation. I believe we have to send our military across the Mexican border to stop these people with whatever non lethal methods there are.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:51 AM

2,362 posts, read 768,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
hearing doesn't mean vet them. it means have a judge drop a gavel and send them home.

I agree with you 100% that they aren't refugees because they are coming thru mexico.

shoot, im not willing to say Honduras is a nation from which one should be allowed to claim refugee status.
Yeah, like all good things, this refugee asylum seeking business has become a huge racket. Lawyers even coach clients into what to say, and to pretend (eg pretend to be gay) to get asylum.

I say we get the UN into this, set aside some neutral land for refugees that no country but the UN has domain over. All refugee applicants get processed at whatever country they seek refuge but then get sent here and if their refuge status is granted, they are randomly selected a country that will take them in. This way, no more economic migrants pretending to be running for their lives. I wonder how many of these "refugees" would return voluntarily if we sent them to Niger.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:52 AM

46,174 posts, read 26,885,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Imagine the fear that Americans living along the southern border are under now? Not fear for their lives like a military invasion would bring but so many other fears. I don’t care if you support Trump or not this is a really bad situation. I believe we have to send our military across the Mexican border to stop these people with whatever non lethal methods there are.

Appears it's up to 14k now....

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...people-report/

Old 10-22-2018, 11:53 AM

68,285 posts, read 54,079,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
to parade through their country?

Can you imagine the outrage if 4000 Canadians wanted to illegally enter Mexico, and we just let them cut through the US to do it?

Mexico needs to step up if they want to salvage relations, as bad as they are now, its going to get alot worse

Well, if they'd just pony-up the $$$ for the wall as we were promised time after time after time they'd do, we wouldn't this problem, would we?

Old 10-22-2018, 11:57 AM

24,311 posts, read 9,196,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
So what is he going to do? Have the troops open fire on a bunch of unarmed civilians? That would go over really well.
You don’t have to shoot them.

Get some tear gas, bean bags, water hose, German Shepards, zip tie handcuffs, buses to send them back, and you’re good to go.

It’s as if you’ve never seen a protest before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies