Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:46 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,178,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
This is the result of he liberalization of the US. Remember, MLK was a REPUBLICAN. DEMOCRATS in the south fought for slavery & later for segregation. Conservatives in the north straightened them out.

Its a fair, level playing field & racism only exists today as a political motivator.

That is truly nonsense. As a matter of fact, it was MLK, SR. who was a Republican -- and this ended when the Georgia GOP expelled all its black members. And the Democrats who were preserving segregation, like Strom Thurmond, found open arms welcoming them to the GOP.

Please do not pat northern conservatives on the back for ending slavery and segregation. There were locations in the north which came under the protections of the voting rights acts and I know of a public school in NY that closed in the wake of Brown in 1955 because it was segregated. Conservatives in the north supported Barry Goldwater in 1964 when he was opposing the Civil Rights Act, after it passed.

A fair, level playing field exists today? A NYC union just ended a discrimination suit in the previous six weeks which lasted for 30 years as to hiring and promoting minorities. Just two weeks ago, Walgreen's settled a class action discrimination suit for $24 Million. That's not loose change.

I think things are a lot fairer now then when they posted signs saying: "No Irish Need Apply" but to think that illegal discrimination in hiring, promotion and housing is a thing of the past is just inaccurate and a refusal to see the obvious.

But, if it is a thing of the past, then what now? Does anyone think the effects of illegal job discrimination and social disenfranchisement have ended? What is the current effect of a whole category of people being relegated to lower status for more than a 100 years? Jews say "Never again". In Quebec even the license plates say, as to minority subjugation, "We Remember." I guess minorities in the US should just forget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 08:48 AM

382 posts, read 954,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
I am Black; and I'm anti-affirmative action. But not because I want to "even the playing field". I feel that affirmative action is just a band-aid on a wound that really needs stitches. Also, people fail to realize that Black people are not the only ones who "benefit" from affirmative action. Women, Hispanics and Asians benefit as well.

What we really need are programs targeted at the Black community specifically. And we need to get to the root of the problem....where it begins...which is in the schools. It does little good to start affirmative action quotas at the college and job level when Black children do not have the proper preparation going into it. It's a set up for failure really.
Agreed! When will black Americans start protesting the miserable graduation rates in many large cities in America. Many kids have a less than 50% chance of graduating. Where is the outcry, the outrage of why our educators have failed us? We protest the high price of gas and want the oil companies to do something about it. How about getting Congress off their white butts and have hearings about the state of education in America. We are not getting our money's worth from the public education system. If you want an equal society; graduate more Americans, especially black Americans. The public school system in America is a sham and black kids are getting the worse of it, especially in large cities. You want black kids to respect the system and believe that they can climb aboard the success wagon; make educators more accountable and graduate kids. What has happened to the days when we held kids and educators accountable and expected more from them? Oh, that's right, we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings; accountability might damage their self esteem.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:54 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,915,835 times
I liked what was said earlier about the minority leaders such as Al Sharpton to stop bringing out how their race is being held down but instead speaking out about what they should be doing to make a better life for themselves. A lot I believe also stems from the media, these rappers are out there talking about how being in gangs and shooting people is cool. Say what you want, this has an effect on people, just like the media could easily turn a nation against a pollitical candidate.

I do understand how it could be hard for inner city students to apply themselves no matter what race they are, they are living in poverty and not only are they probably not encouraged by the staff, their parents probably don't encourage them much either. If some extra money was put in to our public school system I think we would definitely see a change for the better.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:56 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,358,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expgc View Post
Agreed! When will black Americans start protesting the miserable graduation rates in many large cities in America. Many kids have a less than 50% chance of graduating. Where is the outcry, the outrage of why our educators have failed us? We protest the high price of gas and want the oil companies to do something about it. How about getting Congress off their white butts and have hearings about the state of education in America. We are not getting our money's worth from the public education system. If you want an equal society; graduate more Americans, especially black Americans. The public school system in America is a sham and black kids are getting the worse of it, especially in large cities. You want black kids to respect the system and believe that they can climb aboard the success wagon; make educators more accountable and graduate kids. What has happened to the days when we held kids and educators accountable and expected more from them? Oh, that's right, we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings; accountability might damage their self esteem.
I was trying to find the youtube video but cant. Anyway, students protested in NYC a year or two back. They were angry the books are all turn and ripped up, over crowding, poor quality teachers etc. People protest, parents are angry. It happens, but mass media may not report on it because it has nothing to do with britney spears or paris hilton.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:19 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,138,717 times
I just think that the government has interfered plenty enough with education. Just take their money but don't protest and ask them to "fix" anything further. Dont hand them any more responsibility.

Last edited by delusianne; 04-04-2008 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: had got carried away...

Old 04-04-2008, 09:24 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expgc View Post
Yes, yes, yes! Very well said. Really.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:11 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
There is a book written by a white man who took melanin injections and put polish on his face and shaved his head to "become black". Then he moved to New Orleans and pretended to be African American to document the differences between being white and black. This book is from I THINK the 60s and its called "black like me"
I remember that book..interesting read.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:11 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,178,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I remember that book..interesting read.

Black Like Me, by John Howard Griffin.

A classic work by a white man who sought to find out what it was like to travel through the deep south as a black man. It was not all that insightful, but very interesting and revealing, particularly in his interaction with black people who felt some affinity and whites who attempted to engage him in conversation. The book and his experiences showed the little, constant reminders of the inconveniences of being black in America, like finding a bathroom and riding on an interstate bus.

After the book was written he was roundly criticized and ostracized by his neighbors in Texas. This was the early sixties, after all. A white female actually did the same type of thing and found out that in domestic work, many females were also expected to be sexually submissive by their employers. It makes one understand how Strom Thurmond impregnated one of the household help.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:21 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,354 times
White people are sterotyped and most hated of all the races. So if their is racism these days it actually against white people more then any other race.

Discuss...

Old 04-04-2008, 11:53 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,410,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I was a teacher for some time. Its fine and well that your kids went to a black school in your area. However America as a nation is not reflective of your small corner of the country. I assure you, the education, programs and quality of teachers are not the same in most schools in socio economically depressed areas. Again, I don't speak from what I think, what I feel or what my gut tells me. I speak as someone who has worked in the school system, have been to several schools and have seen the difference first hand.
My kids go to a public school, not a black school. In depressed areas it makes sense that the education system is not as good in other ares. I dont see the issue. Since education is tax funded the more affluent an area the better the schooling. Its got nothing to do with black or white.
America as a nation is very diverse, no one area is reflective of the whole.

For what its worth my wife is a teacher. One big issue IMHO is that we move kids from one area to another here. I worked hard to save money & live in a good neighborhood. My kids shouldn't have to go to school with teenage drug dealers & gang members from the other side of the city.
We used to have school districts, still do but now theyre meaningless. Unless your poor & white. Every white family I know their kids go to the school in their district. But Black or Latino kids can go across town.
Theres your racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies