Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 05:44 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
They are in arrears. Average tax rate in Cook County is 2.01%. Go to the links provided in the link you provided yourself. We have outrageous property taxes here in Texas (RED) and every January I want to scream. We don't live in a mansion but you'd think we do. And every time I look at the median price for homes in "the Dallas area" I laugh.
This has a 2018 list of all states. Notice Illinois is second highest and Texas is fifth. Poor New Jersey.

Of course that doesn’t tell the whole story, cities and counties throw extra on there. My property taxes are outrageous, not because of the state, which is reasonable, but because my county taxes make us pay over double the rate of most of the rest of the state’s combined state/county/city average. My daughter, who lives 10 miles north of me, really pays an even higher percentage due to her city property taxes. We even get a special state property tax when we sell our already existing home, supposedly under the theory that if we sell our home we are increasing the population in an already congested area - yeah, you read that correctly - and no, you aren’t exempted if you move out of the area or sell to someone already in the area.

If they can figure out a way to tax you higher and get away with it, they will.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...y-taxes/11585/

Old 10-19-2018, 05:48 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,281,411 times
Meh... do you want roads and schools? Nice looking park system? To be near where the action is? If people in Illinois don't like high tax bills they should move to a state that isn't so blatant about their politicians voting to keep parasitic and overly generous pension systems in place that serve to allow public officials to retire at 50-55 in a life of luxury.

Generally though the high cost of property taxes is reflected in a lower sale price of the home. Zion, IL for example has some pretty cheap real estate because the property taxes are ridiculous. I bring up that town because I had thought about moving to that area after they announced the Foxconn plant. I opted against it. I pay no state income tax now and make $25/hour. I doubt I'd match that anywhere else.

Unfortunately to be someone who wants to be near all the amenities it will cost you. I live in eastern South Dakota. Sioux Falls is great.. has a large park system due to the way the river flows through the city, and an off road bike trail that is better than anything offered up by any city in the upper midwest in my opinion after visiting several. No state income tax. But you are in the middle of nowhere. People who have only lived on the coasts could never contemplate such an existence. You have to ask yourself what matters to you in life and find a place that suits you.

I don't like stoplights, so I'd like to find an area where they've replaced every single one with roundabouts and move there. haha. In 2018 they still can't time them correctly and you have literally no traffic flow for 30-45 seconds sometimes, it's so ridiculous. I find most people who end up on city councils do more harm than good, and good ole boys are no better either.

Last edited by sholomar; 10-19-2018 at 05:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 05:50 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,651,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Nope. The unemployment rate in Maywood is 11%. In nearby Chicago, it's 5.9%. They're both blue cities/towns. National unemployment rate: 3.7%
So you are trying to say traffic doesn't suck getting into liberal big cities in the morning and getting into conservative suburbia in the afternoon? Let me clue you in. It does in metro areas all across the nation. Why? Because the lions share of jobs are in the typically liberal inner city.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:53 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,008,929 times
why do they complain in Illinois, the politicians there are just doing what the electorate voted for them to do.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:02 AM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Republicans in Texas strongly endorse that kind of taxation and at higher levels than found in most states. It helps explain why there is no state income tax in Texas. Texas Republicans would not have it any other way.
There is a corporate state income tax and a franchise tax on businesses in Texas. There is also a personal property tax on items used for business that you pay to your local county.

However there are large exemptions for elderly and disabled people as well as homesteaders that can lead to low property tax rates for those people in Texas. In the rural towns where I lived my property taxes were pretty low.

The highest property tax rates I had ever seen during my years in Texas was about 4% and that was in new home developments near Houston that had added MUD taxes.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:12 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
So you are trying to say traffic doesn't suck getting into liberal big cities in the morning and getting into conservative suburbia in the afternoon?
In the Chicago area, most people in that situation use the Metra. There are even express runs that skip several stops, depending on direction and time of day. I used to live 2 blocks south of the Metra station in another suburb. It was super convenient. Walked to and from the train. No traffic.

Example from just one line:
https://metrarail.com/maps-schedules/train-lines/UP-W

Map of the entire system:
https://metrarail.com/maps-schedules/system-map

Monthly passes are available, and costs range from $116/month to $240/month, depending on the distance one usually rides. A 10-ride ticket cost ranges from $38 to $78.50, again, depending on the distance one usually rides.

Maywood is on one of the lines. A monthly pass into the Chicago station from Maywood is $159.50

Old 10-19-2018, 06:20 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
why do they complain in Illinois, the politicians there are just doing what the electorate voted for them to do.
The left hasn't caught on to that, yet. They're not the sharpest tools in the shed.

High property taxes, a state income tax, and Chicago has a 10.25% sales tax. The electorate voted for that, but then complain when they have to pay.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:29 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,602,303 times
It's worse where I am in Lake County which is adjacent to Cook.

Maywood has a median income of $47K a year. The population is 74% black people and 21% Hispanic. While I wish my property taxes were only $8K a year, how does someone making that kind of money afford that?

This is why so many people have fled the state.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:34 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,602,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
In the Chicago area, most people in that situation use the Metra. There are even express runs that skip several stops, depending on direction and time of day. I used to live 2 blocks south of the Metra station in another suburb. It was super convenient. Walked to and from the train. No traffic.

Example from just one line:
https://metrarail.com/maps-schedules/train-lines/UP-W

Map of the entire system:
https://metrarail.com/maps-schedules/system-map

Monthly passes are available, and costs range from $116/month to $240/month, depending on the distance one usually rides. A 10-ride ticket cost ranges from $38 to $78.50, again, depending on the distance one usually rides.

Maywood is on one of the lines. A monthly pass into the Chicago station from Maywood is $159.50
It's not doable for everyone to take the metra, and the commutes are still some of the worst in the country even with additional transportation options.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:35 PM

13,949 posts, read 5,620,645 times
If your house doesn't have a propeller and the ability to get 12 miles away from the US coast, you don't own it, you rent it from the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies