Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 01:11 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
I have money to live on. I work for the sole purpose to receive healthcare insurance.
How is it free though???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 04:31 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
He said in the original post he hates working. He doesn't WANT a new job.

He wants to get a subsidy on health insurance so he can live on interest and/or withdrawals (presumably...which doesn't make much sense because he also said a 100K bill would break him, so I can't see how he could possibly actually have enough money to live on for very long even if he did get a free ride on the taxpayer for healthcare.)
All it means is he doesn't mind so much spending his money on things other than medical care/insurance.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:17 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,723,533 times
Yes, I think you should get healthcare regardless of whether or where you work. Just like how people over 65 get healthcare regardless of whether or where they work. And actually, people under 65 often get healthcare if they don't work because their income is low enough to qualify for Medicaid. Universal healthcare would mean that the people making too much for Medicaid but too little to be able to afford decent insurance would still be covered. It wouldn't really benefit those who don't work, because they're already benefiting.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:20 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,053,982 times
I like this thought experiment the OP has introduced. It reminds me of two concepts that I find very important as a person:

1) Sigmund Freud was quoted as saying, "Love and work are the cornerstone of our humanness." I interpret that to mean that without work, most people are incomplete. Compensation be damned - people need to have to work of some kind to be fulfilled as viable living beings.

2) Healthcare is price inelastic... if you tell a billionaire they can either die in a week with no treatment, or else die in 6 months if they pay $10 million dollars, that billionaire will generally pay $10 million to extend their life 6 months. This reality makes the healthcare market more challenging for us non-billionaire mortals. Medical and healthcare professionals are inherently wealth-motivated, like a lot of people.

The answer seems clear to me that *basic* medical health care should be a human right. Homeless, poor people, whether they live here in the United States or in the slums of Calcutta, should be checked and treated for curable illness by a licensed professional once or twice per year, completely free of charge. The alternative is too gruesome.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:20 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Yes, I think you should get healthcare regardless of whether or where you work. Just like how people over 65 get healthcare regardless of whether or where they work.
Why is that? Does the same thing apply to food and shelter for someone that just doesn't want to work?
(BTW, Medicare is not free)

Old 10-20-2018, 05:23 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,842,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
There are as many conservatives looking to get free health care with no work as there are liberals.

Conservatives just think they are superior.

Go to some of the more depressed areas in a red state and ask those welfare families who they vote for.

Stop with the myths.

It makes you look like a sheep following the herd and citing the same old bull.
Considering the red wall of 2016 apparently not as many as the blue welfare recipients.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:32 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,668,599 times
Quote:
I have money to live on. I work for the sole purpose to receive healthcare insurance.
Why can't you spend your money on your health care. If you cant afford healthcare then you don't have enough money to live on. The problem in the US is affordable healthcare is link to our Jobs. Without a job healthcare is not affordable. ACA was designed to change that. Conservatives in government hated the very sound of the words "Affordable Healthcare."

Old 10-20-2018, 05:40 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,876,904 times
Quote:
House is paid off. Money is not an issue, unless I had to pay for healthcare.I work to have heath insurance.
Do what I did. Retire early and move someplace where Health insurance/ care is affordable and reasonable. The cost of living where I am at is about 40% that where I lived in the states. Lots of ex-pats feel like you do.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:42 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,876,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Why can't you spend your money on your health care. If you cant afford healthcare then you don't have enough money to live on. The problem in the US is affordable healthcare is link to our Jobs. Without a job healthcare is not affordable. ACA was designed to change that. Conservatives in government hated the very sound of the words "Affordable Healthcare."
Please the ACA is the most misnamed law in history and by many accounts had the opposite outcome.
Affordable healthcare would have been a single payer system. The Democrats and republicans are both owned by big Pharmaceutical as well as big insurance.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:47 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,053,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Do what I did. Retire early and move someplace where Health insurance/ care is affordable and reasonable. The cost of living where I am at is about 40% that where I lived in the states. Lots of ex-pats feel like you do.
Genuinely curious, what country do you live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies