Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 02:36 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,737 times

Advertisements

True we don’t know anything that happened before the video incident, so we’ll have to see how this plays out. The store owners in hot water because of the theft of a twelve dollar hatchet. The thief is dead and paid dearly for his decision to steal and of course his family and supporters are ignoring the fact he was stealing and it’s probably not the first time.

Store owners are fed up with getting robbed and this guy reacted. Whole thing is sad all around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 02:45 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I posted a shorter video than I had intended. This is the one I meant to post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOkUuIXWmH8
That was disturbing to watch although it is exactly as I expected from the shorter version. Once the guy was out the door he should have let him go unless he could have physically restrained him without injuring Lopez.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:48 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,119,604 times
Property rights are absolute.

You violate property rights, you should suffer the consequences.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:49 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
That was disturbing to watch although it is exactly as I expected from the shorter version. Once the guy was out the door he should have let him go unless he could have physically restrained him without injuring Lopez.
Exactly right. He wasn't a threat and was already out of the store. He wasn't shot because he was a threat, he was shot because he wouldn't stop.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:57 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I posted a shorter video than I had intended. This is the one I meant to post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOkUuIXWmH8
Thanks. I slowed it down to .25 but it didn't matter.

Yes, the shoplifter had a knife/machete in his right hand. However, the shop owner was on his left hand side. Inside the store, the shoplifter did not raise the knife/machete at the store owner. The shoplifter went out the door, his right hand with the knife/machete was on the door, and then on the side of the door as it was opened. His right hand never came back towards himself or the shop owner. It was never raised in a threatening manner towards the shop owner.

The shop owner grabbed the shoplifter's shirt. The shoplifter tried to get away, the shop owner shot him as the shoplifter tried to get away. The only slight turn was a bit of his body and his head as he turned to look at the shop owner before starting to turn his body away again to flee. Again, at no time did the shoplifter ever raise that knife/hatchet at the shop owner after the shop owner grabbed his shirt while they were at the door.

It does not look like self defense to me at all.

Old 10-20-2018, 03:03 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Thanks. I slowed it down to .25 but it didn't matter.

Yes, the shoplifter had a knife/machete in his right hand. However, the shop owner was on his left hand side. Inside the store, the shoplifter did not raise the knife/machete at the store owner. The shoplifter went out the door, his right hand with the knife/machete was on the door, and then on the side of the door as it was opened. His right hand never came back towards himself or the shop owner. It was never raised in a threatening manner towards the shop owner.

The shop owner grabbed the shoplifter's shirt. The shoplifter tried to get away, the shop owner shot him as the shoplifter tried to get away. The only slight turn was a bit of his body and his head as he turned to look at the shop owner before starting to turn his body away again to flee. Again, at no time did the shoplifter ever raise that knife/hatchet at the shop owner after the shop owner grabbed his shirt while they were at the door.

It does not look like self defense to me at all.
Good recap. It was a punitive shot and nothing more.

Old 10-20-2018, 03:04 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Looks like an accident.
The shoplifter slipped the grasp and fell as the shop keeper accidently slipped and pulled the trigger.

Old 10-20-2018, 03:12 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
The weapon the kid had , to me appeared to be a hunting knife . I am very familiar with knives axes and machete.
the shooter no doubt knew what the perp had in his hand .
The perps actions indicate there were nefarious means in/by his actions both in theft and the probability of the weapon in question being typically used/needed for criminal action .
The disregard for the law, public safety and resistance to authority are pretty good indicators of the perps criminal intent.
Would you rather the criminal got away with the knife an killed some innocent with it ?

Old 10-20-2018, 03:13 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Looks like an accident.
The shoplifter slipped the grasp and fell as the shop keeper accidently slipped and pulled the trigger.
Twice? Two shots were fired.

Lopez agreed to pay for the hatchet so at that point he was not stealing anything...Just dealing with an armed and aggressive store owner.

Old 10-20-2018, 03:23 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
The weapon the kid had , to me appeared to be a hunting knife . I am very familiar with knives axes and machete.
the shooter no doubt knew what the perp had in his hand .
The perps actions indicate there were nefarious means in/by his actions both in theft and the probability of the weapon in question being typically used/needed for criminal action .
The disregard for the law, public safety and resistance to authority are pretty good indicators of the perps criminal intent.
Would you rather the criminal got away with the knife an killed some innocent with it ?
According to the report, it was a hatchet or small axe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies