Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2018, 06:29 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

We stupid people deserve to be represented too.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:29 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Gump was a movie character designed to be loveable. Can you think of a real life example?
Low intelligence higher wisdom is relatively rare. Gump provides an example everyone can identify. I worked with a guy at my second job who was like that. Couldn't do math or spell but basically ran the department he was in. management (Well most of them) knew to just leave him alone. He came in every day, even show days. Only took his breaks entitled. Shelves were clean and organized. He knew where every part was and customers loved him as he was everyone's lovable grampa.

Ive had a boss who was high intelligence and very low wisdom. He could do math and spell very well. He could fill out the puzzle box reports the required like a champ.... buuuuut... Escalated fights with district managers. Had near zero empathy. Had nearly zero ability to see social cues. Finally they (Bigger people) got sick of him and were waiting for the day he made a big error and multiple bigger fish jumped right after it and he was fired. Don't miss him. Bosses since have been universally mediocre at worst and in one case, quite possibly the best boss I ever had.

Unfortunately you have never heard of nor will hear of either person. The first guy is dead now anyway.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:34 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times
They actually did this in the South to prevent blacks from voting. Literacy tests.

That said, it can be a good idea. Tricky to do in practice but a good thing if done right. Simple questions, like "Who is the VP?", "What are the 3 branches of the national government?", "What city is the (the voter's) State capitol?"

Demonstrating at least some consciousness, something to differentiate a would be voter from a corpse, that would be a good idea.

Questions about history, candidates positions, etc., just open the door to manipulation. And they aren't necessary.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:40 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Why do people continue to say this sort of nonsense? Fine, let's go with that. Conservatives, absolutely Do NOT send your children to college. We don't need no more of them thar college gradiets! Like them doctors with their advanced degrees. Just a buncha numbskulls, think they know what they are a doin'. If I need a bit of lawyerin' I just do some dependin' on old uncle Joe. He got himself off from them liquor makin' charges. USMC, I don't believe for one minute that what I posted above is how you think, but it's how it comes off. It's so frustrating to see, day after day, that regular people think that having a college education is a bad thing.
It's not a bad thing. It's just not a measure of intelligence.

I don't have a college degree. I was intelligent enough to figure out quickly that a degree in my field was worthless, so I left college and attended a trade school. Thirty-five years later, I have a good career, and am just as intelligent as my peers. I own a home, have a nice retirement account, travel and am able to afford a hobby.

I do kind of like that idea from a taxpayer standpoint, however. Since there is no taxation without representation, if I can't vote because I don't have a degree, I don't have to pay any more taxes. Right?

Old 10-22-2018, 08:33 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpolybious View Post
Say a requirement for voting was you had to have an IQ of at least 100 and have at least a Bachelor's degree in something?
Everyone votes their own interests. So what are the interests of intelligent people? Basically, what does a college-graduate want from the government?

Why is it that college-graduates overwhelmingly vote for "big government"? Is it because being smart makes you vote for big government? Then why do libertarians(who are overall smarter than liberals) vote to practically abolish government?

Old 10-22-2018, 08:38 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpolybious View Post
Say a requirement for voting was you had to have an IQ of at least 100 and have at least a Bachelor's degree in something?
Trump would not be president.

over 60% of Trump supporters are high school diploma/no college. Donald Trump DESTROYED Hillary Clinton among uneducated, white voters.

Old, uneducated white people made up nearly 65% of Trump's vote in 2016.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:00 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Trump would not be president.

over 60% of Trump supporters are high school diploma/no college. Donald Trump DESTROYED Hillary Clinton among uneducated, white voters.

Old, uneducated white people made up nearly 65% of Trump's vote in 2016.
Our County/town has some of the lowest percentage of population in the USA with a higher education and went very heavily for Trump.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:03 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,253 times
too subjective. IQ tests are inaccurate and a college degree doesn't guarantee intelligence. lot of overeducated idiots. how about paying a minimum in federal taxes to vote in federal elections? say $3,000 in federal income tax. adjust for col if needed.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:04 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Everyone votes their own interests. So what are the interests of intelligent people? Basically, what does a college-graduate want from the government?

Why is it that college-graduates overwhelmingly vote for "big government"? Is it because being smart makes you vote for big government? Then why do libertarians(who are overall smarter than liberals) vote to practically abolish government?
What do you mean by "interests"? Many people vote their ethics despite their economic interests. The thing that irritated me (as a lib) is that many libs seemed to pat themselves on the back for doing it while they called poor people stupid for doing it.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:07 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
too subjective. IQ tests are inaccurate and a college degree doesn't guarantee intelligence. lot of overeducated idiots. how about paying a minimum in federal taxes to vote in federal elections? say $3,000 in federal income tax. adjust for col if needed.
So tough laws on who can vote but anyone can own a gun?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies