Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 02:35 PM

989 posts, read 769,995 times

Advertisements

This is a purely un-qualified or substantiated observation based on party signs on lawns, in cars or on street corners.

In our area in Florida there is a wide demographic, from affluent to not so. In driving around doing what one does regularly, shopping , Doc appointments etc. I have observed the following:

The Affluent, those that drive nice new cars, live in higher priced homes, with manicured lawns and those in up market gated communities etc. predominantly appear to display Democrat signage. My uneducated guess is about 80% Blue to 20% Red.

The not so, mobile home parks, low income areas, scruffy real estate areas etc., are almost the complete reverse, I would say 90% Red and 10% Blue.

One would think that it would actually be the reverse, and the less affluent would like more access to services like healthcare, Medicaid, ACA etc. (Democrat Type policies) and the more affluent would like lower taxes, and other Republican type policies.

I have no idea why this should be, whether is it poor education on the policies, individual ideologies, or whatever.

Just saying, this seems apparent for where we live in about a 20 mile radius. Again, this seems to be what I have noticed and not a general statistic.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:39 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
What plays into this, is that most people don't have yard signs. When you factor in the behavior of putting up a yard sign, you get an unusual demographic of people.

IMHO.

In upper middle class neighborhoods around my town, republican yard signs are very much in the minority; but the actual voting in those neighborhoods, by precinct, is republican.

*shrugs*

Old 10-27-2018, 02:48 PM

I am sure it varies a lot from state to state and city to city and town to town. I just thought in our area it should have been the opposite. I am not sure whether it is ignorance of the policies, or just plain stubbornness. That along with the "My Daddy was a "Insert Party" and his daddy was a "Insert Party" so I am a "Insert Party".

Around here those that could benefit the most from more liberal policies seem to vote (or have signs that indicate it) Republican, and those who would lose more financially or do not themselves need or qualify for the expanded social services offered by more liberal policies vote Democrat.

Does not seem logical Capt'n.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:56 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,144,620 times
I think voters fall mostly into two categories: well-informed or poorly informed. Sadly, the poorer people are often the less educated and the less informed. They fall prey to misleading claims (or sometimes outright lies, such as Republicans claiming they support healthcare covering pre-existing conditions) as the Republicans intend they should. Republicans hope for an ignorant electorate.

There's also a second division, I suspect: more greedy and less greedy. You can see, even here in this forum, people supporting Trump mainly because they hope to be enriching themselves. Then there are others who put a high premium on issues that reflect a broader concern for the general welfare of the country, people for whom education and civil rights are important.

I think that what you're seeing may be an anomaly. The GOP is traditionally the party of the rich. But you may also be seeing a wealthy group of educated people who have a better grasp of issues. It would be interesting if you looked up the demographics of the percentage of college-educated people in the two areas.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:57 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,020,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
This is a purely un-qualified or substantiated observation based on party signs on lawns, in cars or on street corners.

In our area in Florida there is a wide demographic, from affluent to not so. In driving around doing what one does regularly, shopping , Doc appointments etc. I have observed the following:

The Affluent, those that drive nice new cars, live in higher priced homes, with manicured lawns and those in up market gated communities etc. predominantly appear to display Democrat signage. My uneducated guess is about 80% Blue to 20% Red.

The not so, mobile home parks, low income areas, scruffy real estate areas etc., are almost the complete reverse, I would say 90% Red and 10% Blue.

One would think that it would actually be the reverse, and the less affluent would like more access to services like healthcare, Medicaid, ACA etc. (Democrat Type policies) and the more affluent would like lower taxes, and other Republican type policies.

I have no idea why this should be, whether is it poor education on the policies, individual ideologies, or whatever.

Just saying, this seems apparent for where we live in about a 20 mile radius. Again, this seems to be what I have noticed and not a general statistic.
Because the poor all think one day they'll be affluent.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:20 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,402,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I think voters fall mostly into two categories: well-informed or poorly informed. Sadly, the poorer people are often the less educated and the less informed. They fall prey to misleading claims (or sometimes outright lies, such as Republicans claiming they support healthcare covering pre-existing conditions) as the Republicans intend they should. Republicans hope for an ignorant electorate.

There's also a second division, I suspect: more greedy and less greedy. You can see, even here in this forum, people supporting Trump mainly because they hope to be enriching themselves. Then there are others who put a high premium on issues that reflect a broader concern for the general welfare of the country, people for whom education and civil rights are important.

I think that what you're seeing may be an anomaly. The GOP is traditionally the party of the rich. But you may also be seeing a wealthy group of educated people who have a better grasp of issues. It would be interesting if you looked up the demographics of the percentage of college-educated people in the two areas.
Does an SJW liberal tend to have more or less education/info than the conservative equivalent of an SJW?

Old 10-27-2018, 04:32 PM

The more I think about as to why the have nots vote Red, I think it is because of ignorance to the policies, and who they listen to and believe. I do not mean ignorance in a derogatory way. In a lot of cases some people believe what they want to as opposed what is right and true.

I get my hair cut at a little local hair salon, the folk who work there are great people, caring and of good character, I go out of my way to give them my business, they are the self proclaimed "Working Poor". They were/are completely unaware as to why none (yes NONE) of them could qualify for healthcare (Medicaid). They fall into the group between regular Medicaid and the ACA. The will not believe that why they cannot get Medicaid is because our republican state governor refused to expand Medicaid. That is the ignorance I am talking about. They vote Red regardless of their social predicament. How can one compete with that?

Old 10-27-2018, 04:35 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,811,117 times
Quote:
The more I think about as to why the have nots vote Red, I think it is because of ignorance to the policies, and who they listen to and believe. I do not mean ignorance in a derogatory way. In a lot of cases some people believe what they want to as opposed what is right and true.

I get my hair cut at a little local hair salon, the folk who work there are great people, caring and of good character, I go out of my way to give them my business, they are the self proclaimed "Working Poor". They were/are completely unaware as to why none (yes NONE) of them could qualify for healthcare (Medicaid). They fall into the group between regular Medicaid and the ACA. The will not believe that why they cannot get Medicaid is because our republican state governor refused to expand Medicaid. That is the ignorance I am talking about. They vote Red regardless of their social predicament. How can one compete with that?
How can you be so full of hubris to think you know what is better for someone else?

Old 10-27-2018, 04:48 PM

30,263 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:

When I lived in FL, at one point I worked and lived in the Everglades. A lot of my co-workers and neighbors were what you would consider "scruffy" and they were definitely uneducated. Our boss had a Russian wife who was studying to obtain her citizenship. She brought her test to work one day and asked us the questions to see what we knew. While I did not get all of the questions correct, the ones that I knew, without a doubt, I was the only one who answered them correctly, and got a bunch of mocking and insults before the boss' wife revealed the answer, proving I was correct.

They were Dems. One of them could not vote because he had a felony record, but the rest of them could. They didn't know jack all about the U.S.

I don't think it comes from how someone lives or where they live, and there are stupid people on both sides. I think a lot of it comes from what their family did, and/or life experiences. In my household growing up, there was a Dem parent and a Rep parent. There was a church goer (the Dem), and there was an agnostic (the Rep). There was one who loved the city (the Dem), and there was one who loved the country (the Rep). There was one who liked guns and taught us how to shoot when we were small kids (the Rep), and there was one who never went shooting but never denied us the opportunity to learn (the Dem).

So, I grew up with 2 polar opposites as my parents. I like some of the things that the Dem likes, and I like some of the things that the Rep likes. Why I vote the way I do is based solely on my life experiences, and what I believe are important issues.

Old 10-27-2018, 04:54 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,555,263 times
Quote:

Your analysis is WAY off. Make no mistake, the truly wealthy in this country is a very Republican bunch. The less affluent are largely Democratic. However, the Republican Party has made substantial inroads with working-class white voters over the past few decades. The Democratic Party has made significant inroads with the upper-middle class, but the wealthiest remain pretty overwhelmingly Republican (even if they despise Trump).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies