Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 10:45 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Problem isn't just ignorance, it is also WILLFUL ignorance and that is an important distinction. Ignorance is either not having the opportunity of learning, or being unable to learn. Willful ignorance is deliberately blinding oneself to the facts because to do so would invalidate their political view, or religious belief.

As far as bias in media, the bias has always been about one thing. $$$$. Sensationalism always sells better than dull factual reporting, and modern news is heavily infested with the corrupting effects of advertiser dollars. So I do the same thing as you - read a dozen different reports on any particular current event before reaching a conclusion.
No, the problem isn't JUST ignorance, but I think ignorance is perhaps our biggest problem, and I'd say "willful ignorance" is about as ignorant as it gets. Not sure how important it is to distinguish one form of ignorance from another, but what you describe is also known as confirmation bias, which we all tend to struggle with to some extent or another. Unfortunately, there are too many people unaware or perhaps too ignorant to recognize how they are allowing themselves to become victims of confirmation bias. Like the person who has food on their face and doesn't know it...

Old 10-23-2018, 05:59 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,227,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
No, the problem isn't JUST ignorance, but I think ignorance is perhaps our biggest problem, and I'd say "willful ignorance" is about as ignorant as it gets. Not sure how important it is to distinguish one form of ignorance from another, but what you describe is also known as confirmation bias, which we all tend to struggle with to some extent or another. Unfortunately, there are too many people unaware or perhaps too ignorant to recognize how they are allowing themselves to become victims of confirmation bias. Like the person who has food on their face and doesn't know it...
Interesting subject about ignorance... Some distinguishing factors about the "insanity" that is derived from willful ignorance.

Therefore, to such types, Any Lie will suffice when one is afflicted by Ignorance:

Ignorance is a lack of knowledge or awareness
Willful Ignorance is when one is too Ignorant to know they are without informed knowledge and refuse to review to seek factual information to gain knowledge.
When one is willfully ignorant and refuses to seek information and reject the knowledge found, then that become "stupidity"...
When one is of choice to accept stupidity, and too ignorantly absorbed in the stupidity, to know they have become stupid, then one is dealing with an Imbecile.

An Imbecile is one who is led by and within their stupidity, to choose to remain stupid and act out willfully upon their stupidity.

It is likely then such one may instantaneously become barbaric.

These types can be led by "Drama", Rebel Rousing Belligerence, and they assume belligerence madness and the mentality of attack something as being a sign of strength... then one is dealing with a Barbarous one.

a barbarous person : a rude, crude, uneducated, uncivilized person

Such types are self centered and live in perpetual desperation to hoard something, covet something, and driven by malice and vice of any sort to try and fill the void that Greed has within them, They become ones consumed by "Avarice"

Avarice= excessive or insatiable desire for wealth or gain

Within such types it can be found such things as: "Bigotry","Bias", "Prejudice of many sorts", "Racism", "Gender Bias","Exaggerated levels of Vanity", "Delusion of Grandeur", "Belligerence", "Gluttony", "Slothfulness", "Haughtiness", "Contemptuousness" , "Jealously", "Envy", "Rage", and a high propensity for violence.

Such types live in a fiction of Confabulations.

Confabulation = a memory error defined as the production of fabricated, distorted, or misinterpreted memories about oneself or the world, without the conscious intention to deceive.

Thus so... Ignorance becomes an infected condition that repeats the cycles - and that produces the "Insanity" that is derived from the onset of willful ignorance into the repetition of its progressive condition of remaining Ignorant.

(Thus you have what is the Current Day Republican System formerly known as Confederacy Mentality.)

Last edited by Chance and Change; 10-23-2018 at 06:38 PM..

Old 10-24-2018, 06:31 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Other than having a severe case of "diarrhea of the mouth", I think he is doing an excellent job.
I also think he should delete all his "social media" accounts.
and let the lying media run the narrative?
I like his Tweets. Unfiltered Trump. No one else like him.
I thank God everyday, Hillary is not our President!

Old 10-24-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Interesting subject about ignorance... Some distinguishing factors about the "insanity" that is derived from willful ignorance.

Therefore, to such types, Any Lie will suffice when one is afflicted by Ignorance:

Ignorance is a lack of knowledge or awareness
Willful Ignorance is when one is too Ignorant to know they are without informed knowledge and refuse to review to seek factual information to gain knowledge.
When one is willfully ignorant and refuses to seek information and reject the knowledge found, then that become "stupidity"...
When one is of choice to accept stupidity, and too ignorantly absorbed in the stupidity, to know they have become stupid, then one is dealing with an Imbecile.

An Imbecile is one who is led by and within their stupidity, to choose to remain stupid and act out willfully upon their stupidity.

It is likely then such one may instantaneously become barbaric.

These types can be led by "Drama", Rebel Rousing Belligerence, and they assume belligerence madness and the mentality of attack something as being a sign of strength... then one is dealing with a Barbarous one.

a barbarous person : a rude, crude, uneducated, uncivilized person

Such types are self centered and live in perpetual desperation to hoard something, covet something, and driven by malice and vice of any sort to try and fill the void that Greed has within them, They become ones consumed by "Avarice"

Avarice= excessive or insatiable desire for wealth or gain

Within such types it can be found such things as: "Bigotry","Bias", "Prejudice of many sorts", "Racism", "Gender Bias","Exaggerated levels of Vanity", "Delusion of Grandeur", "Belligerence", "Gluttony", "Slothfulness", "Haughtiness", "Contemptuousness" , "Jealously", "Envy", "Rage", and a high propensity for violence.

Such types live in a fiction of Confabulations.

Confabulation = a memory error defined as the production of fabricated, distorted, or misinterpreted memories about oneself or the world, without the conscious intention to deceive.

Thus so... Ignorance becomes an infected condition that repeats the cycles - and that produces the "Insanity" that is derived from the onset of willful ignorance into the repetition of its progressive condition of remaining Ignorant.

(Thus you have what is the Current Day Republican System formerly known as Confederacy Mentality.)
I find the flow of your comment to the comment that follows your comment about as perfect a fit as any two comments can be one right after another.

Last edited by LearnMe; 10-24-2018 at 10:51 AM..

Old 10-24-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
and let the lying media run the narrative?
I like his Tweets. Unfiltered Trump. No one else like him.
I thank God everyday, Hillary is not our President!
I'm not really a religious person by most standards, but is it really necessary to insult God in this way?

Let me guess. You love unfiltered Camel cigarettes too...

Old 10-24-2018, 01:22 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,227,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
In all seriousness, I got well past the dumb-downed partisan mud slinging some time ago as I began to focus instead on who is suffering most from ignorance, confirmation bias and why? No matter what side of the issues we might be on, we have to ask ourselves why we are right and the other side wrong.

Even the more mature, intelligent, reasoned and objective on either side can make a pretty good case as to why the left is wrong or why the right is wrong and vice versa, so just how do we KNOW which is which? What criteria determines good reason and logic as compared to blind bias regardless the facts, reason and logic?

I am really not sure, but when we recognize all that influences our thinking and why, it becomes all the more clear why time spent in this kind of forum and/or discussing politics in general is about as productive as building a sand castle at the shore line with high surf...

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...hat-we-do.html

So why do we bother I wonder?
Even the more mature, intelligent, reasoned and objective on either side can make a pretty good case as to why the left is wrong or why the right is wrong and vice versa, so just how do we KNOW which is which?

We know which is right by the Principles of Gods Teachings - and the Principles that Democracy is Founded Upon and Within. Democracy's foremost Principle is "EQUALITY"... The Bible speak of the Principles of "Do Unto Others as one would have others do unto you.

Those two points and principle factors, are nowhere to be found in the Right Wing Ideology, who wants to discriminate based on skin, ethnicity, gender, and lifestyles choice, cultural heritage, voter repression of those who do not look like them, and the slothfulness of the Right Wing Evangelicals who speak of God and God Principles but will not honor and stand by or respect those principles, they want to condemn others based on with a claim of moral decay, when the very same things of moral decadence they condone among themselves.
These same Right Winger talk about patronism, while they condone and support the attacks on every aspect of the American system of Government and All its Departments and Divisions, and support insult and injury to the system of Justice, while they condone the long list of Russian interlopers who have interjected themselves into our Voting System and Social and Civic Society, and interlinked themselves with a numbers of the people within this Trump/Republican Administration.
We have a man who said he "grabbed women by the P___!", yet the Evangelicals have found no issue or concern with it. He has paid off sex workers and these same Evangelicals have no issue with it, yet, these are the same who has issue with Michelle wearing a sleeveless dress on occasions, or Obama wearing a taupe colored suit. These are the same Right Wingers who saw no issue with Melania plagiarizing Michelle's Speech and claiming it as her own. The list is long

It's not hard to know which is more American Supporting of Democracy and God Based Principles.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:30 AM

25,582 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Trump poll numbers at all time high - higher than Obama’s prior to 2010 midterm elections
Moving to more relevant discussion of poll numbers, today we see that Trump has reached 44.7% Job Approval, which is the highest in recent history.
Also noteworthy is the fact that 5 pollsters have switched to using "Likely Voters" - Rasmussen, USA Today, NBC, Rueters, and Fox all use that database. And "Lo and behold!", Guess what? ...... When taken by themselves and not mixed in with polls of "Adults", the approval numbers are 45.6%.

A new high was also reached for Job Approval on the economy. 51.4% is the average with Harvard reporting the highest at 57% approval.

If you are a Trumpista, or Trumpadoodle or Trumpster, or whatever name The Left has invented today - and I am - then all this is good news.
People vote with their wallets.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:55 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,217,453 times
The truth is that Republicans are much better about voting- and infinitely better about voting in mid-terms. So the switch to likely voter will generally help them. The question now becomes the same one that decided the presidential race in 2018- how are all these voter in favor of Trump distributed? And do folks that are giving a high economy rating going to vote based on the economy. The economy has improved for me drastically over the last 6 years. But I am not voting for representatives to back Trump based on the economy for the same reason so many people that benefitted from the rebound under Obama did not back Clinton. There is a bigger other issues (temperament, social policies, education, personal character, etc.) that sway some voters.

Nate Silver had a good article on the incongruity of Trumps improving ratings, no improvement to House Republicans and the Senate/House also being on divergent paths. The easiest explanation I can see is the Trump has completely consolidated his base but seems to be losing significantly among suburban women. So he will help the R senate candidates in already red states but the swing house districts can also move away from Rs.

Or we are seeing a lot of polls that are anomalies...

As always- margin of error is a real thing.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:09 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,089,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Despite the constant attacks and distractions from the left .

Imagine if the media was actually fair to Trump .

—-

President Trump’s approval rating is at an all-time high ahead of the midterm elections, according to the latest national NBC/Wall Street Journal poll.

The poll, released Sunday, shows 47 percent of registered voters approve and 49 percent disapprove of Trump’s job in office. The approval rating is Trump’s highest yet as president, up from 44 percent last month, and is now higher than President Obama’s was before the 2010 midterm elections

https://dailycaller.com/2018/10/21/p...ating-midterm/

This OP hasn't aged well.

https://twitter.com/pollreport/statu...17463580463104

Old 11-26-2018, 02:11 PM

10,775 posts, read 4,353,901 times
^ Obama also didn't age well at Gallup....
2011 Aug 8-14: 40%
2011 Aug 15-21: 40%
2011 Aug 22-28: 40%
2011 Sep 12-18: 40%
2011 Oct 3-9: 40%
2013 Nov 18-24: 40%
2013 Dec 16-22: 40%
2014 Jan 13-19: 40%
2014 Feb 10-16: 40%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies