Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 09:13 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times

Advertisements

Why are white people always asking me if I am "staying out of trouble". Yeah.....I know white people tell this to other white people from time to time, but I am the only AA in my area and when people walk around and talk to people in our area, I NEVER hear them ask anyone are they staying out of trouble but me. I know many times its innocent.....but its starting to get on my nerves. No black person has ever asked me if I am staying out of trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 09:21 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
The long mistreatment of many Blacks, including harsh laws, coupled with the stereotype many Blacks do commit various crimes is perhaps a simplified explanation for this.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:23 AM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Because of the fact that blacks statistically commit more crimes that all other races. You are a part of that race. I'm also assuming you are male and males typically say that to males more often. Everything isn't always about race.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:29 AM

1,874 posts, read 817,527 times
there is a stigma that black men are more likely to be criminals. unfortunately life is not fair and that is a stigma you have to deal with. you can say i'm 'racist' but that is just the world we live in.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:29 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Are you young and are the people asking you this middle-aged or older? I think it might be more of an age thing than a race thing. I have heard older people say this to younger people as an alternative to "so, what are you up to?" It's not something I say, but I've heard it said by white people to white people.

If not, then that's just weird.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:35 AM

19,822 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Rule #1 - People are idiots.

As a petite female I have had it said to me on occasion. It’s meant as casual conversation but comes off as awkward. I can understand it being annoying if you are hearing it frequently. There are two comments I heard for years that are geared to my gender that got under my skin. Again, it was an awkward attempt at conversation on their part.

Where do you live that you are the only AA? No need to answer.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:36 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
You are taking this the wrong way. It’s just a expression.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:39 AM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Rule #1 - People are idiots.

As a petite female I have had it said to me on occasion. It’s meant as casual conversation but comes off as awkward. I can understand it being annoying if you are hearing it frequently. There are two comments I heard for years that are geared to my gender that got under my skin. Again, it was an awkward attempt at conversation on their part.

Where do you live that you are the only AA? No need to answer.
As a tall white male I have had it said to me on occasion also, so how is it possible for that comment to be sexist and racist and heightst?? The fact is that it is said to everyone.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:42 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Why are white people always asking me if I am "staying out of trouble". Yeah.....I know white people tell this to other white people from time to time, but I am the only AA in my area and when people walk around and talk to people in our area, I NEVER hear them ask anyone are they staying out of trouble but me. I know many times its innocent.....but its starting to get on my nerves. No black person has ever asked me if I am staying out of trouble.
Why not ask the people who pose the question?

As an aside I know white people who routinely pose this question to other white people. A group of benign seniors readying to embark on a cruise are often admonished to stay out of trouble by others and asked if they managed to stay out of trouble, upon their return.

Sometimes remarks are habitual and meaningless.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:43 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Well, are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies