Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 05:50 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I'm trying to figure out what your point is.

If NYC and SF aren't among the best cities for finding a job, that's good, right? That means there's very little unemployment.

By the way, you sound like someone focusing solely on money. When sensible people consider moving, they take all kinds of things into account, not just the money.

"they take all kinds of things into account, not just the money"

The "coast" libs an here constantly claim it IS the MONEY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Jobs by location are industry dependent. Unless you are working as a bartender or server, this thread has no point. It would need to be industry specific, and there are far better free methods of discovering where the jobs are then by polling forum members.

Even though the entertainment industry for movies and TV shows are still hardhearted in CA MANY shows and movies are now shot in other states. Much more so then in the past.

It is much cheaper to hire locals then to pay the exorbitant high Ca. wages for much of the "behind the scenes" work.

Old 10-27-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Best for who? Big cities are good for highly skilled and educated people trying to climb the corporate ladder who want to work for well known global corporations.

More and more people can work anywhere today as long as they have an Internet connection.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:49 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
I'd say this thread would have been better in the General US forums. Here in the Political one. Its ALL about POLITICAL RHERTORIC, extreme views, blame, subtle to up front mocking of key liberal cities and states and downplaying their continued growth in Corporate Americas investment in especially top management bases.

Though it would not have a lolling rum based on one to a few posters constantly taking jabs at still successes in liberal strongholds. Why it becomes rhetoric, spin and slights.

I still think it could be moved to the General or CvC forum for a further run and insight there. Here politics as usual alone.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:52 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,055,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Jobs by location are industry dependent. Unless you are working as a bartender or server, this thread has no point. It would need to be industry specific, and there are far better free methods of discovering where the jobs are then by polling forum members.
I agree with this.

You have to break it down by desired industry and pay as well as an individuals current education / experience level.

After that you look at the cost of living in geographic locations in relation to the former.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:06 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,986,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Yep. Even little ole Columbus has a large immigrant population. Mostly Somolian which started under Reagan.
LOL . Take a drive up ashland? You think your in Mexico. Everything is in spanish.... even the Verizon Advertisement signs on the billboards.....

Old 10-27-2018, 12:08 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,395,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Even though the entertainment industry for movies and TV shows are still hardhearted in CA MANY shows and movies are now shot in other states. Much more so then in the past.

It is much cheaper to hire locals then to pay the exorbitant high Ca. wages for much of the "behind the scenes" work.
Respectfully, I think that you may have misunderstood what I was attempting to say.

To illustrate: take all of the entertainment jobs in the next top entertainment production city (to use your industry example) , hypothetically say Vancouver, and those entertainment jobs will represent the job market for that specific industry in Vancouver.

The rest of the generalized job market in Vancouver could be dog-sh*%, but specifically for the entertainment industry it would be relatively good.

If you worked in the entertainment industry, the job market in Vancouver could be considered good! while for say banking it could be terrible.

So, unless you specify what industry you are in, opinions as to the Vancouver job market would be fairly meaningless unless you are competing in the low-skill market that more or less depends on warm bodies.

Now repeat that specificity rule for almost every industry across the nation. A few industry employment markets, like those in healthcare, tend to be tighter aligned with population numbers than other industries; but thats more of a market exception.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I'd say this thread would have been better in the General US forums. Here in the Political one. Its ALL about POLITICAL RHERTORIC, extreme views, blame, subtle to up front mocking of key liberal cities and states and downplaying their continued growth in Corporate Americas investment in especially top management bases.

Though it would not have a lolling rum based on one to a few posters constantly taking jabs at still successes in liberal strongholds. Why it becomes rhetoric, spin and slights.

I still think it could be moved to the General or CvC forum for a further run and insight there. Here politics as usual alone.
"I'd say this thread would have been better in the General US forums. Here in the Political"

I'm amazes how many poster say this.

This is the Politics AND OTHER CONTROVERSIES forum.

it is NOT JUST for politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies