Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 12:04 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
My community is not having this problem.
Neither is mine. For the past several years, the average ACT score at our high school has been on the upswing, exceeding a 26 with all 3000+ students taking the test through 2017 and putting the school in fourth place for all high schools in Colorado, including private high schools. That's none too shabby. The high school shifted to the SAT for the class graduating in 2018 with an average score of 1340. The average score for the ACT in 2018 jumped to a 29, but since it was not required of graduating seniors, only about 650 took the test, so that would have been expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 12:16 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Interesting - only 43% of students in IL took the test according to this link

I know in MI that 100% of students were required to take ACT a few years ago in their junior year. Not sure if that is the case today as I read that they were switching to SAT.

Here in Ohio, at my son's school all the kids take the PSAT and SAT, not sure if this is statewide but it is district wide for us in my area.
Particularly interesting because IL is one of the 25 states that requires testing. It would be the poorest performing students who didn't take it, which would explain why our score went up.

You can see the requirements for the 25 states, including Ohio, here:

https://www.edweek.org/ew/section/mu...at-or-act.html

Old 10-27-2018, 04:59 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
So? Go back and look for why, or rather to which students, AP courses are marketed. The better school systems always had them.

The rationale for all the school reform programs is clearly stated, they all are stated pretty clearly. And in Maryland whatever County you're in didn't get a waiver to opt out.

" The better school systems always had them."

Is it the "school system" or the students themselves. You DID teach in PG county.

Old 10-27-2018, 05:20 AM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" The better school systems always had them."

Is it the "school system" or the students themselves. You DID teach in PG county.
AP was always offered in PG. What changed was who took them. In most school systems you had only the top students ending up taking the tests. Then, say around 15 years ago, every student in the class had to test. At first the schools paid 1/2 the fee then the school system picked up the entire cost (@$700K when I left. The money came from a variety of grants from Gates and other sources). The point I was trying to make that when the pool expanded the scores went down.

What I was more addressing was school reform. No matter how "good" the school system was deemed to be it still had to sign on. In Maryland the State Board makes that decision, in other states individual school systems do. And "school reform" was always aimed at the lowest achieving cohort, which is different in every system or even state.

In Maryland that cohort is typically populated by minorities. In Pennsylvania it's poor, rural Whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies