Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 02:46 PM

278 posts, read 230,852 times

Advertisements

USA heads a very negative Ranking World of 655 prisioners per 100000 inhabitants .-

That is not understandable in Europe where most of the European Countries only have around 100 prisioners per 100000 inhabitants and the vast majority, for non -violent Crimes

This is not understandable in a Western Society and mostly of Christian Culture as the European.

You know why is that happens ?

Old 10-30-2018, 06:19 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,941 times
Because the (selected few) US, unfortunately, makes too much money with the (privatized) prison system. Last I read the estimated turnover was over 50 billion dollars.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:28 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Instead of looking at prison numbers, how about look at crimes per 100,000 people? That would be more accurate.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:33 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,213,146 times
Among white Euro-Americans, the incarceration rate is much closer to that of Europe. I will not speculate on whether the cause of that is white racism, or minority cultural underdevelopment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Instead of looking at prison numbers, how about look at crimes per 100,000 people? That would be more accurate.
Incarceration is a yes-no countable number. Definition of crime is subjective and arbitrary.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:47 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Among white Euro-Americans, the incarceration rate is much closer to that of Europe. I will not speculate on whether the cause of that is white racism, or minority cultural underdevelopment.

Incarceration is a yes-no countable number. Definition of crime is subjective and arbitrary.
But the question is about crime, not incarceration. After living in a few years in in a few European countries, I know that many people do not get arrested, let alone sent to jail, for crimes that if done in the US, they would be arrested, potentially put in jail.

Youth crimes and assaults come to mind as do drugs.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:52 PM

257 posts, read 167,795 times
They say it's not poverty that causes crime but relative poverty, i.e. poor people living next to rich people.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:05 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,057,141 times
The problem is 100% racial ! That's all I'll say about it !

Old 10-30-2018, 09:14 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,901,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
The problem is 100% racial ! That's all I'll say about it !
Well that didnt take long.

One of my best friends is a doctor and black, while we were in college he got arrested while driving to an internship. Me and another guy went and got him out, they ended up not charging him with anything, but I'll always remember that and how that police officer was acting until two of his white friends showed up and vouched for him. If we hadnt showed up he would have been charged for resisting arrest. Why the police officer pulled him over, tail light was out. The officer literally told him not to come back to that town. It really shook my friend up and he was crying the whole way back to school, to this day he cant talk about it, but hes a pretty sensative guy.

I'm not anti-police by any means, but it does say something about our overall culture in my opinion.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:51 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,341,179 times
From its first settlement over 500 years ago, the New World was a magnet for the misfits, outcasts, and rebels of the Old; A society initially populated by the aggressive and the ambitious is going to have to deal with more violence than one in which the privileged nobility have a disproportionate share of the power, and insiders keep the rest disempowered -- on the outside looking in.

History proves this point; the criminal and prison records of a century ago show a disproportionate share of Southern European surnames; Latino names increase as Latino immigration increased, and still later, nanes associated with the developing world. But the police rosters of 1920 show a large contingent of Irish names --formerly on the low rung of the socio-economic ladder, but attracted by some respect prestige, and the prospect of steady work and advancement, As time passed, Slavs and Italians were next in line. Admittedly, blacks and Hispanics probably faced somewhat higher resistance during the Fifties and early Sixties, but the roadblock was eventually broken. The process will continue, but a culture forged in and driven by the pressures described above will always have to deal with a violent (relative) few.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-30-2018 at 10:06 PM..

Old 10-31-2018, 05:40 AM

278 posts, read 230,852 times
The reasons for to explain that phenomenon for those who have answered
so far in this thread are summarized in these.-

1)Racism..-Whites are similar in number of Criminals in Europe .It is a matter of non-whites, they say.-

2)Economic reasons,.- In a Society where you can not be a "loser"you do anything
to avoid it.-A mentality problem.-

They do no talk about the ease of using weapons , reasons are not cited moral or religious ,of
education ,etc.- No comentator gives any solution .It seems that they resign themselves.-

And the strangest thing is that USAis a Country full magnificent Universities cocerned about Sociology and PSichology that should have studied this problem and with deeper explanations and above all ,give solutions

.-You know what these universities have said ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies