Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 08:25 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
some people don't like cops.
Some people don't like lawyers.
So what? Do you not understand what career day is? It's about the job. Perhaps the lawyers should have spent their time talking about how hurtful lawyer jokes are. Because that's great information for kids to learn about an career choice.

There is no connection between being a drag queen and literacy. None. The fact that you believe there is very curious. The fact that you believe an anti-bullying speech = career advice, is also curious.

Some have made careers out of being victims, so maybe he should have gone in as a victim and taught the class how to work the system. /shrug/ maybe that was the point. Oh, wait. No it was indoctrination.

It still stuns me how brainwashed people are that they cannot see the truth around them.
lol.
Some people don't like drag queens or performance artists. So what. Dosen't make it any less a career for those who do it.

I cant help you if you refuse to understand the definition of literacy.

Let me help your curiosity. Career day is to learn just a little about different careers by those who have chosen a particular career *(have competence and knowledge in that specific area). It is not meant as advice or indoctrination into a specific career. Whether you wish to accept it or not performance artist is a career.

*Literacy: Having competence and knowledge in a specified area.

Last edited by 2mares; 10-26-2018 at 09:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 09:39 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
lol.
Some people don't like drag queens or performance artists. So what. Dosen't make it any less a career for those who do it.

I cant help you if you refuse to understand the definition of literacy.

Let me help your curiosity. Career day is to learn just a little about different careers by those who have chosen a particular career *(have competence and knowledge in that specific area). It is not meant as advice or indoctrination into a specific career. Whether you wish to accept it or not performance artist is a career.

*Literacy: Having competence and knowledge in a specified area.
Does talking about bullying qualify as career day information? No. You can keep pretending it does if it makes you feel tolerant and celebratory and diverse, all of which are emotional, not factual or rational reactions.

Do cops talk about all the abuse they take and how people hate them? No.
Do lawyers talk about all the awful jokes people make about them? No.

You are so far away from understanding the point, it'd be hilarious if it weren't so sad.

What did kids learn about being a drag queen? People will make fun of you and treat you badly.
Is that true? Not necessarily. IF people hated drag queens they wouldn't have a 'career' no? It's a voluntary act to go see one. No one is forced to listen to a drag queen ... only if you are a child at 'career day'.
Does it explain the 'career'? Not at all.

Which, again, is the POINT of career day.

I do understand literacy. Not relevant to drag queen 'career.'

Old 10-26-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Does talking about bullying qualify as career day information? No. You can keep pretending it does if it makes you feel tolerant and celebratory and diverse, all of which are emotional, not factual or rational reactions.

Do cops talk about all the abuse they take and how people hate them? No.
Do lawyers talk about all the awful jokes people make about them? No.

You are so far away from understanding the point, it'd be hilarious if it weren't so sad.

What did kids learn about being a drag queen? People will make fun of you and treat you badly.
Is that true? Not necessarily. IF people hated drag queens they wouldn't have a 'career' no? It's a voluntary act to go see one. No one is forced to listen to a drag queen ... only if you are a child at 'career day'.
Does it explain the 'career'? Not at all.

Which, again, is the POINT of career day.

I do understand literacy. Not relevant to drag queen 'career.'
Well everyone has their opinion and your obviously not opened minded enough to try to see past your preconceived notions.

In any event, the school will in the future supply parents with a list of potential speakers so each parent can censor their child's exposure to reflect their own biases. So if I don't want my child exposed to a career in religion, or the judicial system, or performance art I can opt them out of that particular speaker. Go education!

Old 10-26-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Well everyone has their opinion and your obviously not opened minded enough to try to see past your preconceived notions.

In any event, the school will in the future supply parents with a list of potential speakers so each parent can censor their child's exposure to reflect their own biases. So if I don't want my child exposed to a career in religion, or the judicial system, or performance art I can opt them out of that particular speaker. Go education!
If you define not being openminded as someone who is NOT in favor of inappropriate, adult entertainers that call themself 'wh ore' meeting with school kids during school in a school setting on career day ... then I guess I fit YOUR definition.

If a parent wants to apprentice their kid on their own time to a drag queen go for it. Parental choice.
If a school wants a 'wh ore' as a speaker? That's inappropriate.

And as a parent you SHOULD have every right to monitor what your child is exposed to. Or do you believe school administrators should have custody of all children and make ALL decisions regarding children? Parents are no longer needed?

Old 10-26-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
If you define not being openminded as someone who is NOT in favor of inappropriate, adult entertainers that call themself 'wh ore' meeting with school kids during school in a school setting on career day ... then I guess I fit YOUR definition.
If a parent wants to apprentice their kid on their own time to a drag queen go for it. Parental choice.
If a school wants a 'wh ore' as a speaker? That's inappropriate.
Nope. I have no problem with peoples personal feelings. We all have them. Not opened minded in that you wont admit or even considering the full definition of literacy, not opened minded to consider performance art a career. Not opened minded to consider what was actually said during the speech or how or why the conversation led to bullying, tolerance and kindness. Not opened minded in that you judge a person on their stage name therefore they are inappropriate period.

Quote:

And as a parent you SHOULD have every right to monitor what your child is exposed to. Or do you believe school administrators should have custody of all children and make ALL decisions regarding children? Parents are no longer needed?
Now that's not what I said at all is it. Why do you make up some scenario of what I believe.

I absolutely believe parents should monitor their kids education and have control of what they are exposed to. I believe parents should have every right to put their kids in the school of their choice or homeschool.
My personal belief is too much censorship limits a child's education and development. If other parents wish to shelter their children, that is their prerogative. The schools decision to give parents a list of speakers so that they can opt their child out of any they deem inappropriate seems a good solution for the parents.

None of the kids had an issue with Mr. Sullivan or his talk, nor did the parent have issue with the content of his speech as far as I could tell. It seems it was the parents who just objected to his career and stage name.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Nope. I have no problem with peoples personal feelings. We all have them. Not opened minded in that you wont admit or even considering the full definition of literacy, not opened minded to consider performance art a career. Not opened minded to consider what was actually said during the speech or how or why the conversation led to bullying, tolerance and kindness. Not opened minded in that you judge a person on their stage name therefore they are inappropriate period.

Now that's not what I said at all is it. Why do you make up some scenario of what I believe.

I absolutely believe parents should monitor their kids education and have control of what they are exposed to. I believe parents should have every right to put their kids in the school of their choice or homeschool.
My personal belief is too much censorship limits a child's education and development. If other parents wish to shelter their children, that is their prerogative. The schools decision to give parents a list of speakers so that they can opt their child out of any they deem inappropriate seems a good solution for the parents.

None of the kids had an issue with Mr. Sullivan or his talk, nor did the parent have issue with the content of his speech as far as I could tell. It seems it was the parents who just objected to his career and stage name.
You don't believe ANY of that.

If you believed parents should be allowed to have opinions about what goes on in schools, you wouldn't have been here arguing why they are wrong to feel this was inappropriate, insulting them as being censors, and and claiming they 'shelter' their kids and limits their education and development. Because why, they will be failures at life if they aren't read to by drag queens during a sham of a career day.

Would you feel it appropriate for a stripper named Le Cu-t to be present at career day? Probably.

And the schools SHOULD be providing parents with a view of what they are doing to the kids. Parents SHOULD know what is going on. It's their kids afterall.

Old 10-26-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
You don't believe ANY of that.

If you believed parents should be allowed to have opinions about what goes on in schools, you wouldn't have been here arguing why they are wrong to feel this was inappropriate, insulting them as being censors, and and claiming they 'shelter' their kids and limits their education and development. Because why, they will be failures at life if they aren't read to by drag queens during a sham of a career day.

Would you feel it appropriate for a stripper named Le Cu-t to be present at career day? Probably.

And the schools SHOULD be providing parents with a view of what they are doing to the kids. Parents SHOULD know what is going on. It's their kids afterall.
Honey, I never said any of that.
Reading comprehension is your friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies